Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 03:28 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,274,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Primal, I think you might be misunderstanding the sheer amount of trouble that would cause the state if they tried to rebrand and internally regovern MARTA. Atlanta, to me, is generally pretty skittish when it comes to the state messing with stuff around the city. We've been burned (heh, Sherman joke) before, and we've pushed back before.

The rest of the state might have the political clout, but Atlanta has a large chunk of the economic clout. I'm not sure the rest of the state is ready to deal with the drama and massive amount of push back that it would get by meddling with something as integrated into the city's identity as MARTA. For the most part, I don't think the rest of the state cares enough to really fight for it, outside of a few of the metro counties.

I'm not saying it won't be tried, but I'm not so certain it will be successful.
Well, if you're right, then the most that Atlanta/ITP will be able to really retain, is the MARTA name/colors/image.

If in-town is able to maintain control of MARTA, then that will likely be a different MARTA that operates as a part of a larger metro/regional transit system. A sub-agency rather than an agency.

Because, I'm just saying, I don't like it but the fact is that Cobb/North Fulton/Gwinnett need high-capacity rapid transit but they are not willing to give up control to MARTA, for various reasons. So because of the pressing needs of the region, they will probably somehow be able to get their way. Rather than just simply cave to MARTA as MARTA is organized and set up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:32 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,698,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Everyone at least ITP knows what a great job Keith Parker is doing by turning MARTA around. Hopefully once the city of Atlanta pass the transportation bill in NOV that will make his "MARTA is failing" statement even more ludicrous.
I hope so to, but, did you see the pamphlets that were being handed out in Cherokee about Sen. Beach and how MARTA is going to invade the county? It's why Ashe wrote that op-ed in the Cherokee Tribune talking about how that's not at all, in any way, true.

There are plenty of loud people out there who do feel that MARTA is nothing but a bastion and system for criminals and those who can't get their lives together. They feel as if the city wants to expand it to... I don't know, rob them? They are ignorant, yes, but that doens't mean they don't have power in numbers, and don't have the politicians to make their ignorance policy.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,127,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Well, if you're right, then the most that Atlanta/ITP will be able to really retain, is the MARTA name/colors/image.

If in-town is able to maintain control of MARTA, then that will likely be a different MARTA that operates as a part of a larger metro/regional transit system. A sub-agency rather than an agency.

Because, I'm just saying, I don't like it but the fact is that Cobb/North Fulton/Gwinnett need high-capacity rapid transit but they are not willing to give up control to MARTA, for various reasons. So because of the pressing needs of the region, they will probably somehow be able to get their way. Rather than just simply cave to MARTA as MARTA is organized and set up now.
If that happens, this region deserves to go down the toilet.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:35 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,751,526 times
Or instead of rebranding MARTA, Cobb and Gwinnett could better their own transit agencies instead of demanding MARTA to do something that doesn't benefit MARTA. Cobb and Gwinnett need MARTA, but MARTA doesn't need Cobb and Gwinnett.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:35 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They could give GDOT and GRTA freedom to do use the gas-tax revenue to build and operate commuter rail
The state constitution forbids the use of gas tax revenue on anything but roads and bridges, so you'd need buy-in from voters across the state to approve a constitutional amendment to allow gas tax money to be used for non-road purposes.

- skbl17

Old 05-18-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
The state constitution forbids the use of gas tax revenue on anything but roads and bridges, so you'd need buy-in from voters across the state to approve a constitutional amendment to allow gas tax money to be used for non-road purposes.

- skbl17
Which could be done, but it's a long shot. If you sold it as an actual state plan to introduce Commuter Rail, and intra-state / inter-city rail. The real question would be if the shift in availability would raise the tax. Whether or not it should be raised while gas is at a low point, it would surely hurt any chance of getting it passed.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Or, you know, they could use the other already existing agency that has no limit on which metro counties it can run it. You know, that one that was supposed to do exactly what you're talking about. They should be going after expanding GRTA rather than trying to take on MARTA.

Cobb, north Fulton, and Gwinnett also need to get over themselves, but that's already been said too many times.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:48 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,274,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Or instead of rebranding MARTA, Cobb and Gwinnett could better their own transit agencies instead of demanding MARTA to do something that doesn't benefit MARTA. Cobb and Gwinnett need MARTA, but MARTA doesn't need Cobb and Gwinnett.
Not to do what they do now, no. But MARTA would need Cobb, Gwinnett, North Fulton, and many billions of dollars to do anything with transit that would be regionally impactful or comprehensive in any way. Because that's where most people live. And Cumberland and Alpharetta are where a large chunk of people work.

So, what will probably happen is some kind of compromise situation, which is kinda what Cagle alludes to. MARTA will bring rail to those areas, but will be fundamentally changed internally in a few ways. And might possibly be re-named, or at least re-branded.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:52 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,751,526 times
Quote:
Not to do what they do now, no. But MARTA would need Cobb, Gwinnett, North Fulton, and many billions of dollars to do anything with transit that would be regionally impactful or comprehensive in any way. Because that's where most people live. And Cumberland and Alpharetta are where a large chunk of people work.

So, what will probably happen is some kind of compromise situation, which is kinda what Cagle alludes to. MARTA will bring rail to those areas, but will be fundamentally changed internally in a few ways. And might possibly be re-named, or at least re-branded.
Well, the state better pay for it then. Fulton, Dekalb, and Clayton's tax money shouldn't go to rebranding MARTA just to look appealing to the north metro. But first, I want a survey done to confirm that the residents on the northern counties actually fear MARTA and that this rebranding is absolutely needed.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,127,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Well, the state better pay for it then. Fulton, Dekalb, and Clayton's tax money shouldn't go to rebranding MARTA just to look appealing to the north metro. But first, I want a survey done to confirm that the residents on the northern counties actually fear MARTA and that this rebranding is absolutely needed.
Just more unnecessary and costly BS so that a minority of white conservatives MIGHT feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta