Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:22 PM

364 posts, read 418,502 times

Advertisements

Parent Liberty Media Corp. says Atlanta Braves revenue fell $14 million in the firt half of 2015 - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Shocker

Have fun with your new team Cobb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 06:31 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll go bankrupt before the move and that'll turn into a real mess!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
I am sure we will.

Perhaps attendance is down because they're simply not very good this year... I still haven't gone to a game this season, and that's unusual for me. I am sure there are many others like me.

Once they've moved, they should be in a better position competively, not to mention their stadium improvement. You can be sure that my interest will be heightened considerably by then.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:44 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Perhaps attendance is down because they're simply not very good this year... I still haven't gone to a game this season, and that's unusual for me. I am sure there are many others like me.

Once they've moved, they should be in a better position competively, not to mention their stadium improvement. You can be sure that my interest will be heightened considerably by then.
This. Fans in general don't support losing teams.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,473,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
This. Fans in general don't support losing teams.
Except SEC football teams, almost every SEC team sells out almost every game even when it suck except maybe Kentucky, even Vanderbilt sells out most of their games.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,406,418 times
I dont think people realize that they'll just use this as another selling point as to exactly why they're moving closer to their fans...

Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Except SEC football teams, almost every SEC team sells out almost every game even when it suck except maybe Kentucky, even Vanderbilt sells out most of their games.
We can't ignore ticket price though. Ticket prices spike when a team does well. They really spike when when a team is doing well and their typical rivals are doing well.

The one advantage the SEC has is many people are priced out, so being able to go in an off year is a great value for nostalgia.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
"Fairweather Braves fans" in 3...2...1...

Old 08-05-2015, 08:13 PM

559 posts, read 832,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
I am sure we will.

Nailed it.

The overwhelming majority of sports fans don't care about stadiums or parent companies or politics. They just want to cheer for their team to win. This Braves team isn't very good and other than Freddie, has no stars to bring fans to the ballpark.

I'm a 40-year Braves fan that sat through 5,000 fan nights at Ful-Co watching Murph, Hubbie, Horner, Gerald Perry, Claudell Washington, Jerry Royster, Gene Garber, Rick Mahler, Pascual Perez, Rick Camp, and my personal favorite ... the Mad Hungarian, Al Rhabosky.

But, that was before the 15-yr stretch of pennants and now I'm a spoiled Braves fan that doesn't want to take the whole family down to watch them lose.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:20 PM

559 posts, read 832,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
True, but the typical SEC football team only has 7 home games per year. That's an easy sell, even if it's just to enjoy the tailgating and pageantry of the college campuses.

Braves have 81 home games to sell. And pro teams have no pageantry to lure fans, i.e. "I went to school here in this building", "this is where I met my wife" .... I heard those stories every single game-day Saturday in Athens growing up.

The Dawgs weren't great in the 70s, but my parents couldn't wait to drive 3 hrs to Athens on fall Saturdays to go back to UGA, visit the campus, tailgate, and watch the games. And then when Herschel came along in 1980, fall trips back to the UGA campus became positively glorious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta