Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It is no surprise that middle income, suburban areas are diverse. It is good to see once, homogeneous counties, like Gwinnett and Cobb are now the most diverse to Atlanta. Let's just hope the county commission soon follows so those diverse populations are well represented.
Cobb and Gwinnett should be fine. They have grown to be amazingly diverse and while remaining stable and vibrant.

And before we start beating up on anybody else about diversity, let's remember that it was us city of Atlanta types who started the whole white flight thing. A third of the city's population bolted when the schools were desegregated and a number of schools changed almost literally overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Quote:
Let's just hope the county commission soon follows so those diverse populations are well represented.
I think that a lot of the diversity in Gwinnett county is made up of people who are not U.S. citizens, so they would be unable to vote for the representatives that they may want.

However, the county does seem to work closely with the various demographics. I haven't looked lately, but I recall seeing job postings for positions at the city of Duluth where bilingual in Korean was listed as a preferred skill. I also know the county has worked very hard with Korean merchants to make the street addresses on their establishments more visible (authorities were having problems responding to emergency calls because they couldn't read the Korean signs for the stores).

BUT......you're point is well taken, and more diversity in the county government that more accurately reflects the diversity of the area would be a good thing. Perhaps as more people naturalize, this will occur.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:06 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think that a lot of the diversity in Gwinnett county is made up of people who are not U.S. citizens, so they would be unable to vote for the representatives that they may want.

However, the county does seem to work closely with the various demographics. I haven't looked lately, but I recall seeing job postings for positions at the city of Duluth where bilingual in Korean was listed as a preferred skill. I also know the county has worked very hard with Korean merchants to make the street addresses on their establishments more visible (authorities were having problems responding to emergency calls because they couldn't read the Korean signs for the stores).

BUT......you're point is well taken, and more diversity in the county government that more accurately reflects the diversity of the area would be a good thing. Perhaps as more people naturalize, this will occur.
The poll taken by Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce on transit and the county commissions reaction shows that there is still a disconnect. Very few of our elected officials use transit, so they would never know the burden some people have to carry to get to work and how inefficient it can be.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Quote:
I don't believe cq is the type to cut and run.
I think you're right, arjay.

But watching friends and co-workers over the years has led me to the following philosophy on urban pioneering that I think is true of MOST people (admittedly, our friend cq may be an exception). This is what I believe:

Everybody is one home invasion away from moving to Alpharetta

That's a bit of hyperbole, of course. I know, home invasions can happen anywhere, and some people put up with it a couple of times. The point I'm trying to make is out of the people I know who moved to up and coming areas with the best intentions and ultimately ended up moving to the suburbs mostly did so because they got sick of crime.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:07 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Thank you for having faith in me. I have gone out and talked with students and parents of students in King and Jackson. It is not as bad as people make it out to be or SchoolGrade.com makes it out to be. I do not believe in putting all my trust in website, I would rather do my own research and visit the schools to talk with administration and visit PTA meetings.
You totally have my support, cq.

You are absolutely right that you can't evaluate a school based simply on these SchoolGrade.com websites. I have also talked with some parents with kids in school in your neck of the woods and they are pumped.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:14 PM

445 posts, read 516,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta28 View Post
Cobb & Gwinnett are pulling ahead:

Which metro Atlanta counties are most racially diverse? - Atlanta Business Chronicle

sorry for title typo: hit = hint
A few thoughts:

(1) The first sentence of the article struck me as a little off: "Gwinnett and Cobb counties are more racially diverse than they often get credit for." I thought Gwinnett County was known nationwide for being very racially diverse. That's one of the first things I think of when I think of Gwinnett County.

(2) The way diversity is defined in the article--an area where "no one race or ethnicity comprises more than 50 percent of the population"--favors those areas with more than two predominate races. You could have an area that's 51% black and 49% white (maybe Kirkwood now or a couple of years ago? The 50 zip codes with the largest growth in white population share, 2000-2010 | The Thomas B. Fordham Institute), but because blacks are the in the majority it would be considered "non-diverse," even though a lot of people would think it was a diverse area.

(3) I wouldn't move intown for the diversity. I would move in for a shorter commute, more access to public transit, more access to the central city, and various amenities. I also think buying closer will yield larger increases in property values based on supply and demand.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:

But watching friends and co-workers over the years has led me to the following philosophy on urban pioneering that I think is true of MOST people (admittedly, our friend cq may be an exception). This is what I believe:

That's a bit of hyperbole, of course. I know, home invasions can happen anywhere, and some people put up with it a couple of times. The point I'm trying to make is out of the people I know who moved to up and coming areas with the best intentions and ultimately ended up moving to the suburbs mostly did so because they got sick of crime.
Home invasion is a lot worse than burglary, it would involve someone entering the home while the home is occupied and that can be scaring.
Truth of the matter is Kirkwood has a relatively low crime rate, when compared to areas that have higher property values and perceived lower crime rate; Virginia-Highland and Candler Park. I also think Kirkwood has moved beyond the 'up and coming' to become one of the 'it' neighborhoods, of course better public schools will help.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:22 PM

445 posts, read 516,745 times
Quote:

True, but I think Kirkwood, Grant Park, and those neighborhoods have gone from "up and coming" to "unaffordable for most people" in the past 3 or 4 years. The number of people moving out is much less than the number moving in or wanting to move in. The people moving in now aren't urban pioneers, they're big law associates and doctors.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:29 PM

It is true that many areas of CoA lack the racial diversity of Gwinnett and Cobb Counties. It appears majority of new immigrants and 1st generation families immediately move to the suburbs, skipping the core city. It feels that diversity in CoA is black and white.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:31 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
True, but I think Kirkwood, Grant Park, and those neighborhoods have gone from "up and coming" to "unaffordable for most people" in the past 3 or 4 years. The number of people moving out is much less than the number moving in or wanting to move in. The people moving in now aren't urban pioneers, they're big law associates and doctors.
But I thought they were living right next to janitors, housekeepers and truck drivers ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta