Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:37 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,169,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Let's hope that the political leadership of Cobb and Gwinnett counties start to resemble the diversity of their populations. As it stands, they only have a single nonwhite county commissioner between the two of them. That web site says their data is from five years ago, but here's holding out hope for change eventually.
Yeah, vote for who most resembles you...

Makes sense for anyone trying to decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 05:55 AM

32,046 posts, read 36,954,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Let's hope that the political leadership of Cobb and Gwinnett counties start to resemble the diversity of their populations. As it stands, they only have a single nonwhite county commissioner between the two of them. That web site says their data is from five years ago, but here's holding out hope for change eventually.
That's up to the voters.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:52 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,967,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Seems like more and more evidence is manifesting that refutes arguments by the evangelists of intown gentrification and the "urban core" gospel of automatic progressiveness/ default diversity.
Anti-intown much? Gated communities, golf communities are built to specifically keep out certain people, most likely those of lower incomes, which happen to be mostly minorities. There are intown areas where high income people live on the same block as those living on fixed income, teachers, and skilled laborers. Your comment is correct when looking at the data from high altitude, but look at the census block data and it begins to show pockets of non-diversity that mirror socio-economic statuses.

Of course the suburbs are going to be more diverse. The suburbs are sold to people all around the world as being the American Dream, so why wouldn't someone recent to America want to live int he suburbs, where crime is low, schools are good, and housing is cheaper?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 AM

994 posts, read 1,546,684 times
"There are intown areas where high income people live on the same block as those living on fixed income, teachers, and skilled laborers."

This largely speaks to transitional neighborhoods where those with means have been the brave souls to go in and "improve" the community. They are, in many instances, just waiting for the lower-income folks to get priced out entirely. This is especially so as gentrification consumes "hot," in-demand city residential areas where homes and land cost 5-10X more than they did just a few years ago.

I am not anti-intown. What a misnomer. There are more regular subdivisions and neighborhoods in the burbs than "gated communities" and "golf communities." Do you venture much outside about a 5-mile, intown radius?

By the way, "where crime is low, schools are good, and housing is cheaper" seems like a solid selling point universally. Why focus on recent immigrants, who comprise is relatively small proportion of the suburban population?

Last edited by hautemomma; 08-25-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
"There are intown areas where high income people live on the same block as those living on fixed income, teachers, and skilled laborers."

This largely speaks to transitional neighborhoods where those with means have been the brave souls to go in and "improve" the community. They are, in many instances, just waiting for the lower-income folks to get priced out entirely. This is especially so as gentrification consumes "hot," in-demand city residential areas where homes and land cost 5-10X more than they did just a few years ago.

I am not anti-intown. What a misnomer. There are more regular subdivisions and neighborhoods in the burbs than "gated communities" and "golf communities." Do you venture much outside about a 5-mile, intown radius?

By the way, "where crime is low, schools are good, and housing is cheaper" seems like a solid selling point universally. Why focus on recent immigrants, who comprise is relatively small proportion of the suburban population?
No, I like to stick to my land of hipsters and bicycles, where the threat of SUVs are minimal and people of all races and incomes can live together in peace.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 AM

994 posts, read 1,546,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, I like to stick to my land of hipsters and bicycles, where the threat of SUVs are minimal and people of all races and incomes can live together in peace.
If you truly live in Kirkwood, as your profile says, then you reside in area where home prices are rising pretty quickly, though entry-level significant fixer-uppers can be found in the upper 100s to lower 200s still. Are you a homeowner? If not, do you think you will be able to afford to be one in your area when or if you decide to purchase?

By the way, homes in many suburban communities reflect a similar $100s to $1M+ price span, but these are pretty stable, non-gentrifying ranges. I guess all these people at different points on the financial continuum must be engaged in some invisible war with each other, since, ya know, people in the suburbs at different economic levels don't live together peacefully and get along.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
If you truly live in Kirkwood, as your profile says, then you reside in area where home prices are rising pretty quickly, though entry-level significant fixer-uppers can be found in the upper 100s to lower 200s still. Are you a homeowner? If not, do you think you will be able to afford to be one in your area when or if you decide to purchase?

By the way, homes in many suburban communities reflect a similar $100s to $1M+ price span, but these are pretty stable, non-gentrifying ranges. I guess all these people at different points on the financial continuum must be engaged in some invisible war with each other, since, ya know, people in the suburbs at different economic levels don't live together peacefully and get along.
Yes, I do own an home and purchased it during the crash, but I moved here not for an investment but for a home. I plan on sending my kids to APS and am a huge part of the neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,801,346 times
I think that in Gwinnett, the areas that have a legacy of very good schools, the diversity tends to work a bit better than places that in Gwinnett that do not have that legacy--I think that folks are bit more on the same page in those neighborhoods and more likely to get involved with folks outside their ethnicity, so that sort of binds folks in a neighborhood together a little more.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:55 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,324,012 times
Quote:
Anti-intown much? Gated communities, golf communities are built to specifically keep out certain people, most likely those of lower incomes, which happen to be mostly minorities. There are intown areas where high income people live on the same block as those living on fixed income, teachers, and skilled laborers. Your comment is correct when looking at the data from high altitude, but look at the census block data and it begins to show pockets of non-diversity that mirror socio-economic statuses.

Of course the suburbs are going to be more diverse. The suburbs are sold to people all around the world as being the American Dream, so why wouldn't someone recent to America want to live int he suburbs, where crime is low, schools are good, and housing is cheaper?
Did you even look at the map? There are many blue areas that are quite small. This is not a 30,000-foot analysis.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:25 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,801,346 times
Quote:

In Gwinnett (Lilburn, Snelville), the only gated communities we toured were very racially, ethnically diverse, much more so than most intown neighborhoods. I think that you are right in saying that many immigrants want "the American Dream", but it's probably also true for many folks that are the first generation from their family to have earned a professional degree, or started a successful business--they want new, safe, good schools, gated, and over 3000sqft--probably more so than many (white) folks that "been there, done that" with their parents, and the cost of entry for these *exclusive* communities is often the cost of tear-downs in many intown neighborhoods.--so a diverse group of folks get to show (and enjoy) that they made it, at a price they can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta