Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 03:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,730 times

Advertisements

I'm excited to see what developers propose. I'm still rooting for GSU, I think that would be a great use of the space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 11:46 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Community input needs to be realistic - Whole Foods isn't going in at Turner Field. The development needs to be geared towards the community, needs to be what the community needs and wants.
I'm 100% with you on all your points. But I wouldn't be so sure about Whole Foods. They've built in south Chicago, midtown Detroit, and central city New Orleans. There's not a single grocery store anywhere nearby that isn't a convenience store. I could totally see Whole Foods moving in. And plenty of wealthier neighbors on the east side would jump at the chance to get away from the madhouse midtown store. Whole Foods repackages itself for poor neighborhoods

Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I'm 100% with you on all your points. But I wouldn't be so sure about Whole Foods. They've built in south Chicago, midtown Detroit, and central city New Orleans. There's not a single grocery store anywhere nearby that isn't a convenience store. I could totally see Whole Foods moving in. And plenty of wealthier neighbors on the east side would jump at the chance to get away from the madhouse midtown store. Whole Foods repackages itself for poor neighborhoods
Really, there needs to be more than a Whole Foods though. Sure, it would get business in one form or another, but I'm not sure it counts as an anchor grocery store. If a significant portion of the surrounding people can't realistically shop there, then what good is it to the neighborhood?

I could see a medium expense grocer doing rather well in the area (publix/kroger/etc), with maybe a few specialty food stores (baker/butcher/etc.) for a bit of the higher-quality food stuffs for those who want it. Heck, a Trader Joes of Whole Foods might even do well near by even if a Kroger or Publix is already in the area.

As you said, there are mostly convenience stores in the area, but there is plenty of land open to build general grocery stores on. Not even big ones, but a few small businesses would go a long way in helping fill in any availability / quality gaps in the area.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:05 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Really, there needs to be more than a Whole Foods though. Sure, it would get business in one form or another, but I'm not sure it counts as an anchor grocery store. If a significant portion of the surrounding people can't realistically shop there, then what good is it to the neighborhood?
Click that link I provided for the answer.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
A good sign for redevelopment in the area: Boutique Project near Turner Field Setting 'New Sales Record' - Townhouse-a-palooza - Curbed Atlanta

Old 10-26-2015, 01:14 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,958 times
I'm a life long Braves fan and I was born and raised in Cobb. I graduated from GT. One of my best friends lives on Grant street.

I think the best option would be to go with the GSU option. They've been longing to get away from a commuter college perception and I don't think that area needs/wants an Atlantic Station/concrete jungle. I think the GSU options helps GSU, cleans up the area, helps out the entire area and is classy. Plus being part of the University System of Georgia you know they will keep up with it and it will not be going anywhere.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:21 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I hope this is great and that it ends the ceaseless potshots against Cobb and the new Braves complex.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hope this is great and that it ends the ceaseless potshots against Cobb and the new Braves complex.
Don't count on it.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:42 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
*yawn*

Old 11-03-2015, 06:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Default Turner Field Community Survey

Turner Field Community Benefits Coalition Survey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta