Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:33 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
These events are permitted. They follow all the correct channels to be able to put the gatherings on.
As ATLondener said, these events are legit and the proper channels are followed.

I have been to a couple and I don't see the big deal because it's confined to a very small area in the park, and folks its a city park!!! True cities parks are supposed to be lively, not sterile suburban style parks surrounded by a bunch of skyscrapers.

I think Piedmont Park would become a lot more interesting if there were different types of music going on throughout the park. On any given day during the weekend in Central Park there would be an make shift old school roller rink set-up playing disco music, also throughout the park there would be African drummers playing and tourist dancing to the drums. Also a group doing Brazilian capoeira in the park, with there own set of drummers. There would be various performances in the park daily that required amplified music, and that added part of the character to the park.

We always talk about Atlanta becoming a vibrant and true world-class city on this thread, along with energy, one of the things missing down here on the streets of Atlanta is character probably because too many people want to call the cops when they here a little music in a public city park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
We always talk about Atlanta becoming a vibrant and true world-class city on this thread, along with energy, one of the things missing down here on the streets of Atlanta is character probably because too many people want to call the cops when they here a little music in a public city park.
But....but....but....ELBOW ROOM!!!!

Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Music is great & diversity in music is even better. In my years in Atlanta I enjoyed the cultural richness & the mosaic of sounds to be heard in Piedmont Park on many an occasion.
But, the op's issues specifically are with the volume & the fact that it is heard through the afternoon & on into the evening as in apparently a few to several hours at a time.
Those are issues that I can find sympathy with.
Moderation & consideration can be bywords for urban living.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:39 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
one of the things missing down here on the streets of Atlanta is character probably because too many people want to call the cops when they here a little music in a public city park.
Get of whatever cultural high horse you rode down here from NYC on. That crap was annoying. You could hear the "OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ" baselines in every corner of the park.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:47 PM

261 posts, read 217,968 times
There's definitely a balance to be struck. On the one hand:

(1) There is such a thing as simply _too_ loud, by any imaginable metric. If it truly encapsulates the _entire_ park, and this is not an exaggeration, that might be a bit much.

But at the same time:

(2) If a bit of noise in the daytime on a weekend is a problem in one's eyes, perhaps it's worth considering a move to the countryside.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:49 PM

261 posts, read 217,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Get of whatever cultural high horse you rode down here from NYC on. That crap was annoying. You could hear the "OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ" baselines in every corner of the park.
It's not a high horse. It's a good point; downtown isn't, and need not have the temperament of a funeral home, where one can hear a pin drop. Judging by some of the noise complaints I hear, this is exactly what some suburban transplants to downtowns expect.

At the same time, if what you say above is literally true, and not an exaggeration, yeah, maybe that's a bit loud.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:55 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abalashov View Post
It's not a high horse. It's a good point; downtown isn't, and need not have the temperament of a funeral home, where one can hear a pin drop. Judging by some of the noise complaints I hear, this is exactly what some suburban transplants to downtowns expect.

At the same time, if what you say above is literally true, and not an exaggeration, yeah, maybe that's a bit loud.
It's not downtown though, it's Piedmont Park. Part is on the edge of Midtown but most of it is adjacent to the quieter neighborhoods. Centennial Olympic Park? Knock yourself out with the music.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:33 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I'm not sure what the issue is?
According to the OP the problem is that they are blasting techno/house music at a volume where the bass can be heard from all areas of the park, including the Botanical gardens. Apparently they are keeping this up all Sunday afternoon and into the night.

It's a bit excessive when you start playing your music so loud that if affects other people who may simply want to enjoy a peaceful day in their homes or in the park. Or what if you like classical music and wanted to have a garden party featuring a string quartet and all you could hear was thumping techno bass?

This pretermits the question of whether these house-music-playing people are even taxpayers.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:34 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abalashov View Post

It's not an exaggeration. I could hear it at Park Tavern. I could hear it at the dog park. I could hear it at the splash pad. I never even saw where it was coming from, but we could hear it everywhere we went.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A small group of people shouldn't be able to dominate the whole park.
People just don't seem to understand this concept. It's incredibly selfish. A few people's preference for music should not be forced on masses of people. I'm so tired of people like this. They don't care about the way they may impact anyone else. They want to do what they want to do, everyone else be damned. Self-centeredness is the hallmark of a sh!!#y person.

BTW, if this was just a single event, this would be no problem in my eyes. It's the recurring nature that is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: