Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 11:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The great thing about GRTA is that it actually serves the whole metro area. It serves 13 counties: Cherokee, Clayton, Coweta, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding, and Rockdale.

So if MARTA (and CCT and GCT) were merged/consolidated into GRTA and everything simply became GRTA, that would be like if 10 counties suddenly joined MARTA. All in exchange for just maybe a name change for MARTA? Seems worth it to me.

The assets, resources, experience, people from MARTA would all still be there.
No just a name, but giving up local-appointed leadership to governor-appointed leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 11:21 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
The great thing about GRTA is that it actually serves the whole metro area. It serves 13 counties: Cherokee, Clayton, Coweta, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding, and Rockdale.
Only superficially. Don't get me wrong, commuter buses are great and all, but they are just about the most minimal level of service an area can receive.

Quote:
So if MARTA (and CCT and GCT) were merged/consolidated into GRTA and everything simply became GRTA, that would be like if 10 counties suddenly joined MARTA. All in exchange for just maybe a name change for MARTA? Seems worth it to me.
Well, plus the loss of local control, and an unclear condition about the state of funding or its direction.

Quote:
The assets, resources, experience, people from MARTA would all still be there.
That's a pretty big assumption, given the general state dislike of city politics and its representatives. I do not trust an absorption of MARTA into anyone to maintain institutional experience or representative integrity.

We don't need an agency like MARTA in the full 13 counties anyway. Gut the core 5, with an option for others to join as they want.

I have no qualms with giving GRTA more operational range, but we need at most, two agencies handling the separate needs of the separate build environments of the region.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:40 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Only superficially. Don't get me wrong, commuter buses are great and all, but they are just about the most minimal level of service an area can receive.

Well, plus the loss of local control, and an unclear condition about the state of funding or its direction.

That's a pretty big assumption, given the general state dislike of city politics and its representatives. I do not trust an absorption of MARTA into anyone to maintain institutional experience or representative integrity.

We don't need an agency like MARTA in the full 13 counties anyway. Gut the core 5, with an option for others to join as they want.

I have no qualms with giving GRTA more operational range, but we need at most, two agencies handling the separate needs of the separate build environments of the region.
I agree. Outside the core 5, those counties really have different needs.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Agreed, but that doesn't absolutely mean there needs to be 2 separate agencies. MBTA in Massachusetts does all the transit within a huge geographic area, it does urban subway type stuff in Boston proper, and commuter rail in the way far out areas.

I don't see why we couldn't have a similar solution here, and also why we couldn't have different funding levels as appropriate per county. For example, City of Atlanta, Fulton, and DeKalb pay 1.5% sales tax, and they get the most and best transit, as being the most urban areas, closest to the core. They get almost all the heavy rail, which is the most expensive.

Then Clayton, Cobb, Gwinnett would pay 1%, and they'd get the mid tier of transit, maybe only one or two heavy rail stations, with a focus on frequent commuter rail and good bus service.

Then all the other counties would pay a half penny and just receive commuter rail and express bus only.

What's the problem with that? Seems to me that one single unified transit agency/system/service area would solve so much of the balkanization issues and such.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but that doesn't absolutely mean there needs to be 2 separate agencies. MBTA in Massachusetts does all the transit within a huge geographic area, it does urban subway type stuff in Boston proper, and commuter rail in the way far out areas.

I don't see why we couldn't have a similar solution here, and also why we couldn't have different funding levels as appropriate per county. For example, City of Atlanta, Fulton, and DeKalb pay 1.5% sales tax, and they get the most and best transit, as being the most urban areas, closest to the core. They get almost all the heavy rail, which is the most expensive.

Then Clayton, Cobb, Gwinnett would pay 1%, and they'd get the mid tier of transit, maybe only one or two heavy rail stations, with a focus on frequent commuter rail and good bus service.

Then all the other counties would pay a half penny and just receive commuter rail and express bus only.

What's the problem with that? Seems to me that one single unified transit agency/system/service area would solve so much of the balkanization issues and such.
MBTA is entirely run by the state of Massachusetts, with its governing boards being either MDOT or Governor Appointees.

Massachusetts itself is only ~2000 square miles larger than the Atlanta metro statistical area, and only ~500 square miles larger than the combined statistical area.

Maybe if the state of Georgia was was the size of the Atlanta MSA or CSA, I would trust them to more have the metro's and city's interests in mind when controlling an agency serving it. Given the wide extent of the state outside of the metro, with much of the political power weighing in favor of non, or even anti, Atlanta interests, I am not confident at all.

If the state of Georgia was smaller, then I could see a more reasonable balance between political control. It's not, though, and I do not trust the state to keep Atlanta's interests in mind when controlling its transit agency, of all things.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Comparing MARTA to CTA, METRA and Pace is more accurate, where RTA is the umbrella agency over 3 transit agencies.. IL is a state, similar to GA, with 1 large metro dominating the economy, growth, etc.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Comparing MARTA to CTA, METRA and Pace is more accurate, where RTA is the umbrella agency over 3 transit agencies.. IL is a state, similar to GA, with 1 large metro dominating the economy, growth, etc.
The levels should then be MARTA, GRTA, and GDOT, with SRTA being the, well I don't think it should be an umbrella agency, but a mediating and data consolidation agency would be quite useful.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:37 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Ultimately I'm fine with whatever involves CCT not existing anymore. Mainly I'm just afraid that even after this "regional transit committee" thing is done, Cobb is still going to have its own transit system. Which would negate the entire point of the thing.

Whether it's one or two agencies, we only need metro-wide agencies, centered on Atlanta itself and extending outwards- no agencies that only serve one county. And really, Cobb and Fulton and DeKalb and Gwinnett and Clayton need to be in one unified system. I don't care what it's called, or who is appointed by whom, or any of those details. Whatever it takes to make that happen, is fine.

But, if MARTA is still seen as a non-starter for whatever stupid reasons, I'm fine with the less-controversial GRTA replacing MARTA as its successor. And then funding means and funding levels being figured out on a per-county basis from there. But it would really unify the region, and it would eliminate the need for any counties to join anything, as they are all already members of GRTA.

Would be great if the discussion was purely about funding, as it should be. Instead it's just trying to get a metro transit agency to freakin' exist. I swear, other cities are just laughing at us.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Ultimately I'm fine with whatever involves CCT not existing anymore. Mainly I'm just afraid that even after this "regional transit committee" thing is done, Cobb is still going to have its own transit system. Which would negate the entire point of the thing.

Whether it's one or two agencies, we only need metro-wide agencies, centered on Atlanta itself and extending outwards- no agencies that only serve one county. And really, Cobb and Fulton and DeKalb and Gwinnett and Clayton need to be in one unified system. I don't care what it's called, or who is appointed by whom, or any of those details. Whatever it takes to make that happen, is fine.

But, if MARTA is still seen as a non-starter for whatever stupid reasons, I'm fine with the less-controversial GRTA replacing MARTA as its successor. And then funding means and funding levels being figured out on a per-county basis from there. But it would really unify the region, and it would eliminate the need for any counties to join anything, as they are all already members of GRTA.

Would be great if the discussion was purely about funding, as it should be. Instead it's just trying to get a metro transit agency to freakin' exist. I swear, other cities are just laughing at us.
You should care how leadership is appointed, don't toss the baby out with the bathwater just to get transit. You want Bubba's from rural counties, who know nothing about transit or large metro issues deciding who is on the board?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You should care how leadership is appointed, don't toss the baby out with the bathwater just to get transit. You want Bubba's from rural counties, who know nothing about transit or large metro issues deciding who is on the board?
I have to agree. Can you imagine the reaction of a bunch of anti-transit types to something like the Erves scandal? We'd never hear the last of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta