Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM

15 posts, read 153,134 times

Advertisements

I like seeing the graffiti in the city. It makes it more colorful. I just wanted to know what other Atlanta citizens think of the art?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
It's not "art"- it's defacing private property. One of the things that I like about the Atlanta metro area compared to the area we left in central NJ is the almost complete lack of grafitti in all but the crappy areas. In NJ, you'd find graffiti on every highway overpass, every soundwall, and on buildings in all but the richest towns- here at least it's confined to the more ghetto areas.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:34 PM

"confined to the more ghetto areas." What a prude. If its not art could you do this?

I didn't think so. =]

Last edited by brian3219; 02-22-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3219 View Post
"confined to the more ghetto areas." What a prude. If its not art could you do this?

I didn't think so. =]

I wouldn't say his comment was one of a "prude" at all, because you have to define what "art" and "graffiti" really are.

The example you posted above is not typical graffiti. As a matter of fact, I'd bet money that a graffiti artist was hired to paint that for a business on the side of their building. There is a large difference between a graffiti artist and someone who simply spray paints graffiti, too. Although I would question the reasoning if someone hired them to paint Alvin holding a semi-automatic weapon (though it's probably an accurate portrayal of the crime/gang problem here).

I like to see graffiti ART on the sides of businesses that have hired people to do it. Some of it if not most of it is very colorful and creative. I could care less about gang symbols and curse words sprayed on bridges or retainage walls for no reason (and yes, most of THAT is found in "ghetto areas", though it's spreading to others as well).

Old 02-23-2008, 05:01 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,602 times
I would call it at if Alvin didn't have an Uzi in his hand.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
I'm a "prude" because I don't enjoy looking at gang signs, meaningless bubble letters, or even Alvin with an Uzi? Whatever- maybe when you grow up you'll see things a little differently.

And no, I don't think what you showed is "art", even though it's most likely hired work and not true "grafitti", which is what your original post was about. Atlanta's got enough problems without billboard-sized "art" portraying children's cartoon characters with guns, booze and "bling" in the same space as a "Welcome to Atlanta" banner- not exactly the image the city should be trying to portray. I just hope that the city wasn't stupid enough to use any public funds to pay for that "art".

Old 02-23-2008, 05:55 AM

297 posts, read 1,538,457 times
Count me in as a prude too... I do not like graffiti for the reasons that Bob mentioned above (namely the Uzi, booze, and bling in this example).

Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 AM

Actually this peice was done illegally. I haven't seen any gang graffiti in Atlanta. Those people who do those "bubble letters" are the same people who do the colorful murals. It was more of a parody of the cartoon characters, but I guess if you want to live in your fantasy land where theres no crime and everyones happy you can.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3219 View Post
Actually this peice was done illegally. I haven't seen any gang graffiti in Atlanta. Those people who do those "bubble letters" are the same people who do the colorful murals. It was more of a parody of the cartoon characters, but I guess if you want to live in your fantasy land where theres no crime and everyones happy you can.
No gang graffiti in Atlanta? So I guess the people who spray paint "Sur 13" and "BSL" are just happy people living in a fantasy land?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,177 times
I agree with Bob - it's defacing private property. I don't care how artistic you think it is, it costs money for the owner of the property to clean it up. I don't want my taxes to go up because some punk decided to spray paint a bridge.

Now, if you want to put that picture on a canvas and hang it in an art gallery, go right ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta