Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,947 times

Advertisements

For a town of 5 million folks, Atlanta really does not have a lot to do when it comes right down to it, I've heard this from folks who have lived there. Again, for a town of 5 million folks, of course it's going to have to do more than a lot of places, due to its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
For a town of 5 million folks, Atlanta really does not have a lot to do when it comes right down to it, I've heard this from folks who have lived there. Again, for a town of 5 million folks, of course it's going to have to do more than a lot of places, due to its size.
Do you mean Atlanta does not have a lot of places/attractions for tourists --ie San Francisco, San Diego, San Antonio, Boston, Chicago, DC or NYC?

I know it pretty well and I think it would take several weeks to really tour the metro area. Maybe it helps if you have an interest in the history of the region.

As far as daily living I think you have to develop interests and networks.

When a city has the sort of resources available in Atlanta I would be embarassed to say that it 'really does not have a lot to do'.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Do you mean Atlanta does not have a lot of places/attractions for tourists --ie San Francisco, San Diego, San Antonio, Boston, Chicago, DC or NYC?

I know it pretty well and I think it would take several weeks to really tour the metro area. Maybe it helps if you have an interest in the history of the region.

As far as daily living I think you have to develop interests and networks.

When a city has the sort of resources available in Atlanta I would be embarassed to say that it 'really does not have a lot to do'.
I don't think finding people to meet, driving around, eating at restaurants etc. is really that special. One can do all of this in any big city. The other cities mentioned all have much more to offer in terms of attractions - I shouldn't have to explain why SF, NYC, LA, San Diego are better in this regard than Atlanta. Atlanta as a city gets very boring. Having a social network and playing golf or tennis or going to after-work classes, serve to offset this impending boredom which any newcomer to Atlanta is likely to confront after a short time.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
-Many attractions
-Attractive females
-Beautiful skyline day and night
-Unique culture
-It's in Georgia, a beautiful state that offers plenty
-Friendly people
-Overall fairly good quality of life for low cost of living

Dislikes:
-Crime
-Traffic
-Racial tensions (on occasions)
Descent weather? - maybe when you're landing.
Many Attractions? - yahoo, lets go to stone "mtn." or the "high" .... please.
Attractive females? - OK, somewhat, but too fake at times and if you're not a white male or possibly a black male, then your pool of women is very, very small here in the South. Everyone stick to their own kind or to white males.
Unique Culture? - Its a mix of cultures really. Southern WASP culture is just one to be found here. Black and Korean are others and are prominent. Gay culture in midtown. I can't put my finger on what is unique to Atlanta culturally really - its a blur.
Friendly people? - Yeah, if you're with your own kind. But the moment your color is different or your religion is different, that friendliness vanishes, my friend. Most people intown and even outside tend to play the old "I'll pretend you don't exist" routine with an air of pretentious affect ( especially in Buckhead and Midtown).

One thing I dislike as a northeastern yankee - the southern redneck and southern snob style accents, the latter of which I detest more because of the people who speak with them. Give me a good Brooklyn or Boston accent any day. And the blunt way of speaking too. And yes, I will be more than happy to leave here in couple of years, thank you.

Last edited by darkone; 04-18-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I don't think finding people to meet, driving around, eating at restaurants etc. is really that special. One can do all of this in any big city. The other cities mentioned all have much more to offer in terms of attractions - I shouldn't have to explain why SF, NYC, LA, San Diego are better in this regard than Atlanta. Atlanta as a city gets very boring. Having a social network and playing golf or tennis or going to after-work classes, serve to offset this impending boredom which any newcomer to Atlanta is likely to confront after a short time.
I absolutely understand that Atlanta is not a 'World Class' city such as those listed previously.

Good luck to you on your next move.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 33,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
Why would you fly a USA flag if not to show others you are proud of what it represents? You just enjoy looking at the pretty flag in the wind?
Our National flag is a symbol of the freedom and liberty we enjoyed in years past. When did it become anything other than that to an American?

Quote:
I would like everyone to follow the laws too but sometimes the laws are just not practical and we need to find a compromise.

Well punkin', I think that a lot of laws are impractical. Particularly the ones that keep me from walking into the Ferrari dealership and taking what I want. How about the ones that tell me that I can't take more money from the bank than I put into it? Those are very impractical laws and they are a hindrance my desired lifestyle. You can't be selective about which laws to compromise, do away with them all and run amock in the streets. ANARCHY, YEE HAA Baby!

Jeez!

Larry

Old 04-20-2008, 12:21 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,803 times
Anything that made Atlanta southern, even progressive southern city is gone really. I'd equate Atlanta with the southern IT version as Houston is to oil and gas.

Atlanta needs some sort of local culture or scene, and it's not something that can be just created, but people need to start thinking of themselves as Atlantans or Georgians...not just people buying tract homes in subdivisions from up north and working their generic corporate jobs.

Funny thing about the accent, no one ever noticed that I had one til I left...now I'm constantly reminded of it.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Anything that made Atlanta southern, even progressive southern city is gone really. I'd equate Atlanta with the southern IT version as Houston is to oil and gas.

Atlanta needs some sort of local culture or scene, and it's not something that can be just created, but people need to start thinking of themselves as Atlantans or Georgians...not just people buying tract homes in subdivisions from up north and working their generic corporate jobs.

Funny thing about the accent, no one ever noticed that I had one til I left...now I'm constantly reminded of it.
Atlanta is too young and its original southern base is now too small (percentage-wise more importantly) to have a unique cultural base. Transplants from everywhere in the country and from certain regions of the world all add to the mix here. The newcomers aren't going to become true southerners. Their children and subsequent generations might develop a slight twang but that doesn't count really. The children of the transplants will adopt generic american culture, continuing to leave metro Atlanta without its own unique identity.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:04 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Atlanta is too young and its original southern base is now too small (percentage-wise more importantly) to have a unique cultural base. Transplants from everywhere in the country and from certain regions of the world all add to the mix here. The newcomers aren't going to become true southerners. Their children and subsequent generations might develop a slight twang but that doesn't count really. The children of the transplants will adopt generic american culture, continuing to leave metro Atlanta without its own unique identity.
Right. My child moved to suburban Atlanta (East Cobb) from Canada the summer before 3rd grade. She's now finishing 8th grade with her northern-generic accent intact. Canadian relatives actually remark on how she hasn't picked up a different accent, when she goes to visit. She's exposed to a few teachers, fellow students and neighbors with real southern accents, for sure. But there are so many northern transplants like ourselves around here, that's there's just not the local accent immersion that usually causes kids to quickly pick up a new accent.

Our daughter has picked up tastes for country-fried steak and Chick-Fil-A (which her parents find bland and boring) but that's about the extent of her southernization. We haven't tried to promote or prevent local cultural immersion. I think darkone has nailed this scenario.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
people need to start thinking of themselves as Atlantans or Georgians...not just people buying tract homes in subdivisions from up north and working their generic corporate jobs.
One thing you'll discover when living here, is that if you pay close attention, you'll notice that a lot of people never really call Atlanta "home".

Example (and I'll use myself): I'm 42 years old. I moved to Atlanta when I was 18, so therefore, I've spent more than half my life in Atlanta. Yet, I will still refer to West Virginia (my home state) as "home". Not "back home" as in the past, but I catch myself referring to it as though it's still my current home state, even though I've long since moved to Atlanta. A good friend of mine is from Kentucky and has been here longer than me, yet for him Kentucky is still "home".

The same could be said for people I know who have moved here from Vermont, Colorado, Washington State... they all refer to their home states as "home" while Atlanta is simply "where they currently live". I think that a lot of people here even if it's a subconscious thought, only consider Atlanta to be a place where they currently live (even if it winds up being a while), as opposed to "home", which adds to the feeling in the city and area that it's a patchwork of tons of different people without having a true identity - you can only have an identity when a lot of people consider a place home, and then create a home feel/atmosphere to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta