Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiechri View Post
"Pros:
-Cheaper property taxes than FL."
Not sure about this one, intown they aren't that cheap, but I'm sure it is offset by the 7% income tax vs. 0% in Florida.

Quote:
There are some pretty good college sporting events that take place in Atlanta.
This is a negative for me

Quote:
-Some (NOT ALL, though) of the school systems here are better than the broken public education system in Florida.
Amen to that, Florida is just pathetic on this.

Cons:

Quote:
-Materialism. Yes, I know this seems ironic coming from someone from Florida, but there is definitely a level of materialism here that I never saw back home. Can't explain it.
I guess you are not from Miami where this is even worse but I think this is just a consequence of being in a thriving, rich, urban place where people actually care about fashion etc. unlike most of Florida full of beach bums and retirees in Hawaiian shirts.

Quote:
-Racial tension. In all sorts of ways. Just do a topic search for it on these forums and you can get opinions on this issue.
This is a lot worse in Florida, it's just that there are less black people. But Atlanta has a LOT more successful black people, integrated black people, and even rich black neighborhoods! In Florida the black neighborhood is the most poor, and you rarely ever see one dressed nicely or with a good job. So yeah, less racial tension because it's completely segregated and you only see black people at McDonald's serving you and they don't fight for anything better.

Quote:
-There's winter here. Of course, the transplants from the Midwest, the Northeast, etc would laugh at this. But if you grew up with that thin Florida blood, be prepared for a BIG change. I'd consider it cold by FL standards here from November - March. No more sandals in December, no bathing suits or tank tops in February. You actually have to use the heat. I needed an entire new wardrobe when I moved here. I had no idea what kind of SHOES to wear in this weather... funny, but true.
lol, you are a world traveler but only owned sandals like most Floridians? I guess your world consists just of tropical places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 AM
l12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
PROS

* 4 Seasons of weather though not a big fan of July and August
* Lower home property taxes
* Gas cost less than 47 other states due to taxes
* Gwinnett Gladiators
* The Mall of Georgia location
* Close to the mountains

CONS

* An area by out of control developers ran by, out of control developers
* The blasted car tax
* Crime
* City of Atlanta - Dirty, dreary, badly ran, offers nothing
* Is there anyplace besides Waffle House and Huddle House for breakfast?
* And #1 of all #1's the absolute worst traffic location I have ever encountered outside the I-5 in LA rush hour.
Posts like this makes me see that Atlanta, like most cities, is really 2 very different places. Those who are suburban and mostly clueless about what the city offers, and the city people.

Jeez, ever heard of the Flying Biscuit? One of the best breakfast places in the country with multiple locations in Atlanta and about to go national. There are others as well.

I have my qualms about the quantity of city offerings of Atlanta as well, though the quality seems to be quite good from what I have seen, but I really can't imagine what you are looking for to say that it 'offers nothing'.

Of course the scary part for someone like me wanting to move to Atlanta is that the city/urban population is actually pretty small and the suburbs are huge.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:02 PM
l12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
No, b/c you believe that, not me, not most.....it just represents you as the ignorant one.
Anyone flying a flag is fairly ignorant IMO.

Flags represent lots of things, good and bad to everyone.

What is your point to flying it? You are proud to be a Georgian/American? Why? There are plenty of things to be proud of and plenty of things to be ashamed of about both.

What makes you so proud about the South? Proud of southern food and religious nature? So fly a cross and a biscuit then, not the symbol of a dead nation that died trying to preserve slavery.

and p.s. yes most americans do think the rebel flag represents racism/slavery. Obviously they must since pretty much everyone outside of the South does, and the south is less than 25% of the country, plus, even IN the SOUTH there is hardly a majority anymore, as evidenced by the fact that many places have changed their flag by vote.

Last edited by l12; 03-11-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
Posts like this makes me see that Atlanta, like most cities, is really 2 very different places. Those who are suburban and mostly clueless about what the city offers, and the city people.
Who cares about the City? It's a little patch of tall buildings ten miles away.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:32 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,964,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
Not sure about this one, intown they aren't that cheap, but I'm sure it is offset by the 7% income tax vs. 0% in Florida.

This is a negative for me

Amen to that, Florida is just pathetic on this.

Cons:

I guess you are not from Miami where this is even worse but I think this is just a consequence of being in a thriving, rich, urban place where people actually care about fashion etc. unlike most of Florida full of beach bums and retirees in Hawaiian shirts.

This is a lot worse in Florida, it's just that there are less black people. But Atlanta has a LOT more successful black people, integrated black people, and even rich black neighborhoods! In Florida the black neighborhood is the most poor, and you rarely ever see one dressed nicely or with a good job. So yeah, less racial tension because it's completely segregated and you only see black people at McDonald's serving you and they don't fight for anything better.

lol, you are a world traveler but only owned sandals like most Floridians? I guess your world consists just of tropical places.
yeah, i agree here, I moved here from Florida and had plenty of sweaters and jackets and stuff for winter here(which really isnt that cold), that irritates me, when people come from FL and think we have the same weather, we get to the teens every winter maybe even single digits on a cold winter, we are 600 miles north of Fort Lauderdale and 250 miles away from the nearest ocean, and at an altitude of 1,000 feet, of course there is going to be winter here!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,964,174 times
another thing that irritates me

"no beach"

did you not look at a map before you moved to ATL? Jeez.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 PM

387 posts, read 1,594,118 times
There are plenty of things you realize you miss when they're not there. There are also things you take for granted... and only realize it when they're gone.

l12, that post is mine. I've been to plenty of countries around the world - cold, colder, warm, hot, etc. Living in a place and having to dress accordingly every day (especially business casual) is completely different from traveling... obviously.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:55 AM
l12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
There are plenty of things you realize you miss when they're not there. There are also things you take for granted... and only realize it when they're gone.

l12, that post is mine. I've been to plenty of countries around the world - cold, colder, warm, hot, etc. Living in a place and having to dress accordingly every day (especially business casual) is completely different from traveling... obviously.
Ok, ok I just thought it was funny you didn't know what shoes to wear? It's not like you need special shoes just because it's 30 degrees out, you just can't wear sandals!

What part of FL are you from? Here in Gainesville we get as cold as Atlanta for a few days of the winter (20 degrees) and it's amazing to see people still out in shorts and sandals. Only in Florida...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM

387 posts, read 1,594,118 times
I spent years in Gainesville... I've been in Atlanta now for two winters... they are nothing alike, sorry.

Gainesville gets "REAL" cold for a couple sporadic days here and there... after 3 days your temp is back up.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM

77 posts, read 291,055 times
PROS
4 seasons
great shopping - if I can't find what I need at the first Target, I've got two more in easy distance!
lots of housing options
job/educational opportunities

CONS
transient nature of neighborhoods - just when you get to be friends with people, they move - either for jobs or for schools
the very fast changeover of the suburbs (especially close to I285) to minority majority
the rush-rush rude mentality of many people (I work retail, and it never ceases to amaze me how some people will actually act in public)
the fact that I have to plan my life around traffic patterns, even if I'm not going downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta