Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
Anyone flying a flag is fairly ignorant IMO.

Flags represent lots of things, good and bad to everyone.

What is your point to flying it? You are proud to be a Georgian/American? Why? There are plenty of things to be proud of and plenty of things to be ashamed of about both.

What makes you so proud about the South? Proud of southern food and religious nature? So fly a cross and a biscuit then, not the symbol of a dead nation that died trying to preserve slavery.

and p.s. yes most americans do think the rebel flag represents racism/slavery. Obviously they must since pretty much everyone outside of the South does, and the south is less than 25% of the country, plus, even IN the SOUTH there is hardly a majority anymore, as evidenced by the fact that many places have changed their flag by vote.
so, according to you I should take down all my flags, including the American flag that flies above my rebel flag at tailgates???????

Most americans don't like the Iraq war, guess they should pull their flags down!!!!!

I'm not going to change my behaviors to appease others, just as I suspect you won't.

So don't call me a racist!

Yes, I'm proud to be from Georgia, and the South, just as others are from their states. This country's constitution was founded on 'State's' rights, not federal, politics has changed that.

I have a GT license plate that the state issued, guess I should get rid of that as well since it represents the ACC conference....or maybe the UGAY fans should lose theirs b/c they're SEC with (South) in their name.

25% of the Country, 75% of the NFL and MLB.

Northern Whites didn't go to war in the 1800's to fight to free slaves. Get over it.

There's far more racism in Northern states than there is down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 AM

78 posts, read 184,616 times
Default I'm sorry but..

I probably shouldn't even bother, but as a history teacher, I just can't stand it any longer. You people who wave that God-forsaken flag can defend yourself, compare it to other things, or joke about it for all I care. But understand this, the confederate flag 100%, unequivocally, without a doubt, make no mistake about it stood for the perpetuation and support of slavery. And waving a flag of any kind, means that you support all that that flag represents. You have every right to do what you want in this country - but don't think that the general public buys into your santized version of what the flag represents. Marginalizing the meaning of the confederate flag is apparently what I like least about the entire South.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaMom View Post
I probably shouldn't even bother, but as a history teacher, I just can't stand it any longer. You people who wave that God-forsaken flag can defend yourself, compare it to other things, or joke about it for all I care. But understand this, the confederate flag 100%, unequivocally, without a doubt, make no mistake about it stood for the perpetuation and support of slavery. And waving a flag of any kind, means that you support all that that flag represents. You have every right to do what you want in this country - but don't think that the general public buys into your santized version of what the flag represents. Marginalizing the meaning of the confederate flag is apparently what I like least about the entire South.
Ouch.

Middle school teacher myself. Native Georgian.

Members of my family have deep 'feelings' about southern heritage/family--part of what that flag represents. They do not wave this flag, FYI.

My grandparents worked hard during the Great Depression to support 5 children on a farm. Never had much. I think my Grandaddy's father fought in the Civil War. FWIW.

One thing I have come to dislike is the generalizing about 'The South'.

As some of us still say with a twang and a wink---'Well---it's a deep subject'.

bhs

Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
so, according to you I should take down all my flags, including the American flag that flies above my rebel flag at tailgates???????

Most americans don't like the Iraq war, guess they should pull their flags down!!!!!

I'm not going to change my behaviors to appease others, just as I suspect you won't.

So don't call me a racist!

Yes, I'm proud to be from Georgia, and the South, just as others are from their states. This country's constitution was founded on 'State's' rights, not federal, politics has changed that.

I have a GT license plate that the state issued, guess I should get rid of that as well since it represents the ACC conference....or maybe the UGAY fans should lose theirs b/c they're SEC with (South) in their name.

25% of the Country, 75% of the NFL and MLB.

Northern Whites didn't go to war in the 1800's to fight to free slaves. Get over it.

There's far more racism in Northern states than there is down here.
I'm not calling you a racist, you are really missing my point.

My point is that most people who see you waving that flag think you are a racist.

You may not be, but it certainly doesn't help race relations because black people and many white people are offended by that flag!

I can wear an obscene shirt in Japan saying F**k N***ers and no one will care because they don't know what it means. If I wear it here, people will be very offended, even if I'm joking, even if that's the name of a band I like, even if I'm from Japan and I have no idea what it means.

It doesn't really matter what you think when you wave that flag, it's people's perception that matters.

And yes it's true, Northern Whites may not have gone to war to free slaves, however, the South DID go to war to keep slaves! And they started the war. And the North did not allow slavery, the South did. It's pretty simple really. Yes there are also greed and financial concerns underlying both sides, but that doesn't change the facts, actions are more important than motivations.

And no I'm not proud of my state or my country or humanity or the world 100% enough to fly a stupid flag. There are a lot of great things being done everywhere and a lot of terrible things, it's ignorant to only see the positives and be so proud of them, ignoring the negative.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
I spent years in Gainesville... I've been in Atlanta now for two winters... they are nothing alike, sorry.

Gainesville gets "REAL" cold for a couple sporadic days here and there... after 3 days your temp is back up.

I know they are nothing alike, I've lived in the northeast for many winters as well, I wasn't saying that. But just because Atlanta stays cold for weeks instead of 2 days, doesn't mean you need different shoes, unless you just wear sandals all of the time.. It only takes 1 night to get frostbite/a cold anyway.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,246 times
Well, from Pittsburgh, PA, what's the difference? I hear the cost of living is cheaper in Augusta, GA than in Pittsburgh, but the lifestyle is slower in Augusta.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
And no I'm not proud of my state or my country or humanity or the world 100% enough to fly a stupid flag. There are a lot of great things being done everywhere and a lot of terrible things, it's ignorant to only see the positives and be so proud of them, ignoring the negative.
Chilling.

'Not proud of my state or country'

I hope that some day you will find something honorable in the sacrifices that were made so that you could freely express this opinion. Certain that others have said this to you.

In some forums that sort of statement would set off accusations of 'terrorism'. After 911 I sort of feel that way myself. Not as tolerant as I once was.

I don't think many who reside in the US ignore the negatives.

bhs

Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:

It doesn't really matter what you think when you wave that flag, it's people's perception that matters.
So you live your life based on what other people will think of you and your actions, rather than on how you really feel about things? Sounds like a pretty lame existence to me...........

Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
No, it's not. You have to do both. It's self-centered NOT to consider the perception of others. You have to find a balance.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
And the North did not allow slavery, the South did. It's pretty simple really.
Um, WRONG! There was indeed salvery in the North. Even after the war, New York City profited from and was heavily involved in the slave trade. You need to go back and study history a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta