Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 02:04 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I don't think that really matters. There are going to be a lot of other factors like the huge shift in demographics from the last election 8 years ago, which candidate is going to be the most believable/has the best plan for the hot button topics like Crime, The Beltline, Education, etc.
There has been a shift, but I wouldn't be quick to assume that means one thing or another. Those Whites that have moved in to the city tend to be young and progressive minded. That's not exactly planning in to the hands of someone who comes off or plays to a conservative agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
How was this poll collected? Using landline phones, if so they trend towards an older crowd, that could overwhelmingly support Norwood. Many of my neighbors and friends have not spoken ob her, but other candidates like Woolard, Fort, Hall.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:15 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm not talking about me though, just an inevitable group of citizens/voters. There most def is a subset of voters that will vote with race in mind. BTW, I am not implying that all black voters will think this way, that's dumb. Just that this group of voters exist and I think the success of the Norwood will hinge on how influential this group is.
Norwood's appeal is that she is very neighborhood and grassroots-oriented, rather than being developer-centric.

While some may associate that approach with conservatism, that misses where she is coming from. Norwood's fierce commitment to local communities and the "little guy" made her popular throughout the city and brought her within a few votes of Kasim Reed the first time around.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
While some may associate that approach with conservatism, that misses where she is coming from. Norwood's fierce commitment to local communities and the "little guy" made her popular throughout the city and brought her within a few votes of Kasim Reed the first time around.
Well, in the team/sports based political culture of today, I have doubts many people will be able to get around her "conservative" rep. I don't expect any degree of thoughtfulness in politics anymore.

PROVE ME WRONG ATLANTA! Please God prove me wrong...

Old 03-14-2017, 02:55 PM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about me though, just an inevitable group of citizens/voters. There most def is a subset of voters that will vote with race in mind. BTW, I am not implying that all black voters will think this way, that's dumb. Just that this group of voters exist and I think the success of the Norwood will hinge on how influential this group is. Gentrification and displacement will likely speed up due to already in progress projects. I think the odds are high that she will become a poster child for the negative effects of gentrification for many.

Honestly, my concern isn't regarding the election rather how people are going to react to her as things happen during her term.Her country club look isn't going to help, she just looks rich. I can see how this could lead folks to believe that their elected representatives don't represent them and even are working against them. Do you think Mary will be able to have a frank conversation with the less reasonable side of BLM as Reed did in that town hall without intense pushback? Hell no.

None of this is a good reason to vote against Norwood or any candidate. But it will be a factor in her candidacy/term unfortunately and it is something I am concerned about.
Interestingly, history shows her to be anything but an advocate for unchecked gentrification:

"In Atlanta, the City Council in February rejected by an 11 to 3 vote a proposed 120-day ban on construction of McMansions in five neighborhoods.
"You would have thought it was the second burning of Atlanta," said Councilwoman Mary Norwood, who drafted the plan. She said the Atlanta Board of Realtors mounted a massive campaign to defeat the measure."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.8a5cb1d597bd

As far as her current position on gentrification, her statement is as follows:

RESPONSIBLE GROWTH

Our Zoning Code must be must updated to reflect the type of development we want in our City. We cannot have communities that are harmed with traffic congestion, blight, or abandonment. Protection of neighborhoods: Atlanta is a city of neighborhoods–both our traditional single-family residential neighborhoods and our newer high-rise and multi-family communities. We must continue to protect every neighborhood and every Atlantan’s quality of life.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING

We must develop policies that guarantee our citizens can stay in our city. Innovative workforce housing initiatives can help both our companies and their employees. Aging-in-place initiatives can protect our seniors and long-term residents from displacement. We must compassionately grow our city without losing those who have made Atlanta their home.

So her statement of intent with regard to this issue is out there.

It may well be that the Democrat Party will again kick into action if this becomes a close race.

"According to an investigation by the staff of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, campaign records show that the Georgia Democratic Party spent at least $165,000 to attack Reed's opponent, Mary Norwood, and contribute to an unprecedented eight percent jump in voters for the runoff held on 1 December 2009. Reed won the mayoral runoff election by about 700 votes after trailing Norwood in the general election by more than 7,000 votes.
If she had been successful in her mayoral bid, Mary Norwood would have become Atlanta's first white mayor in 36 years.[4]
Norwood received 46 percent of the vote on Election Day, the largest proportion of all the candidates, but as no candidate received a majority (more than 50% of the vote), she entered a runoff election on December 1, 2009.[5] However, Kasim Reed received more votes in the runoff, and, after a recount, Norwood conceded."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Norwood

Old 03-14-2017, 03:26 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Thanks for the insight LovinDecatur! I like what I see. I hope she can actually capture some ears, but I'm concerned that too many will make a snap judgement with their eyes.

BTW, what business does the stink of Democrats or Republicans have in a mayoral race? It's time to shed that garbage

Old 03-14-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Well, in the team/sports based political culture of today, I have doubts many people will be able to get around her "conservative" rep. I don't expect any degree of thoughtfulness in politics anymore.
Where did this "conservative" rep come from, tiki? I've never seen Norwood say or do anything that would warrant that label. Her claim to fame is sticking up for neighborhoods and average folks (all over the city).

Old 03-14-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It may well be that the Democrat Party will again kick into action if this becomes a close race.

"According to an investigation by the staff of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, campaign records show that the Georgia Democratic Party spent at least $165,000 to attack Reed's opponent, Mary Norwood, and contribute to an unprecedented eight percent jump in voters for the runoff held on 1 December 2009. Reed won the mayoral runoff election by about 700 votes after trailing Norwood in the general election by more than 7,000 votes.
That was truly a shameful hour for the machine Democrats.

Of course they've done the same thing to others. It is amazing how virulent and nasty the machine can be when it senses a disturbance in the force.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:59 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That was truly a shameful hour for the machine Democrats.

Of course they've done the same thing to others. It is amazing how virulent and nasty the machine can be when it senses a disturbance in the force.
For what its worth she attended that DNC conference that was here a few weeks ago. Pretty sure she is playing the game behind the scenes that she needs to play.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:53 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,745 times
Im voting for whoever Kasim Reed endorses because i dont know who to pick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta