Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,919,068 times

Advertisements

Surrounding the stadium with good mixed-used spaces is best. Liberty Media got that thought right. But they missed on the implementation. They just have Disneyland-like facades on one street hiding parking decks in the middle of a suburban office park. There is no real transit connections and there are few opportunities for it to expand a network of walkable streets as it already turns its back on most of the surrounding area. There are no real options to get there besides driving. After the new-ness wears off the area will be depressing to be around on non-game days.

Great stadiums are in the middle of a true, organically built, walkable, urban neighborhoods. The long-term plans GSU has for the area around Turner are much better to develop a great stadium / college neighborhood that integrates into the surrounding urban fabric.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,336,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Great stadiums are in the middle of a true, organically built, walkable, urban neighborhoods.
This is a standard talking point of urbanists, but it isn't true. I would like to live in a walkable neighborhood, but I wouldn't want a baseball stadium anywhere near me. And stadiums are huge, so they ruin the walkability of their immediate surroundings.

Stadiums just aren't a natural part of a neighborhood, whereas apartments, restaurants, bars, and stores are.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:39 AM

4,851 posts, read 6,139,660 times
Quote:
Surrounding the stadium with good mixed-used spaces is best. Liberty Media got that thought right. But they missed on the implementation. They just have Disneyland-like facades on one street hiding parking decks in the middle of a suburban office park. There is no real transit connections and there are few opportunities for it to expand a network of walkable streets as it already turns its back on most of the surrounding area. There are no real options to get there besides driving. After the new-ness wears off the area will be depressing to be around on non-game days.

Great stadiums are in the middle of a true, organically built, walkable, urban neighborhoods. The long-term plans GSU has for the area around Turner are much better to develop a great stadium / college neighborhood that integrates into the surrounding urban fabric.
I compared the the area around Cumberland the mix use develop to the area around Tuner..

You couldn't compare cause you know it's overtly an improvement so you compare Cumberland to Philly, then Turner plans after the Braves leaves....... All which doesn't change the point

The area around Cumberland is an improvement over the area Turner field..... Don't tell me about Philly tell about the area around Tuner when the Braves played there.... Having a mix use development next to the STP is an improvement over the Turner area regardless of how much you don't like it.

-----------------------------------------

See your not getting it......

Atlanta is not competing against Cobb,........... Atlanta is competing against Dallas, Houston, Miami, Charlotte, DC and etc regions.

Rooting against Cumberland is a self inflicted wounds against the metro... You should root for all of Metro Atlanta engines to prosper.

jsvh are you against the ARC?

You may need to read this PDF it goes over regional centers
http://documents.atlantaregional.com...guide_0711.pdf

The reason a lot of sociologists and urban planners are pro urbanism is not because density is cute but rather sprawl separates employment from residential. The Cumberland area is a high employment area, a regional center according to the ARC the Cumberland area most redevelop, grow denser and urban.

2 + 5 = 7

Also

5 + 2 = 7

If you was back in school and was doing a timed test. And you didn't know a answer for a problem do you

A) Stay on that problem and not finish the rest of the test

B) Continue on answering the rest and come back to that problem later

I completely agree with you on transit.... but Transit isn't the only goal in the ARC 2040 plan...

If Cumberland doesn't have transit because of political bs....... does the Cumberland area suppose to stare off in space and not try to accomplish the other tasks in the ARC 2040 plan?

before you to can walk or run you first most crawl and take baby steps. These steps are in the right direction of following the ARC. The Stadium is a small part of a larger agenda from the Cumberland CID and The ARC. but you can't see that cause your busy rooting against Cobb.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:25 AM

23,582 posts, read 44,327,793 times
Quote:
Sure there are many that are happy to get these inflated real estate prices. But no, not everyone in the business community is happy about this relocation. Especially how it all went down.
My husband's offices were in the Travelport Building when this whole scheme came together. Really the fact that there are so many industry-related businesses concentrated in the Galleria area is what has kept them from relocating out of the area. We knew no one that was happy about this development; it was known from the get-go this would be an inconvenience.
And no, the parking situation was not initiated by the CID. They were approached by Cobb County and the Braves Organization.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
This is a standard talking point of urbanists, but it isn't true. I would like to live in a walkable neighborhood, but I wouldn't want a baseball stadium anywhere near me. And stadiums are huge, so they ruin the walkability of their immediate surroundings.

Stadiums just aren't a natural part of a neighborhood, whereas apartments, restaurants, bars, and stores are.
It is true, stadiums go in the negative column. You don't want one in your neighborhood. But if you have to have one. At least integrate it in like Wrigleyville in Chicago or PetCo Stadium in the Gas Light District of San Diego. It will minimize the negatives to the neighborhood (but will still be negative) and will also make for a better game-day expirence for fans.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:19 AM

23,582 posts, read 44,327,793 times
Quote:

Although I'm not sure at this point to what degree the area will be embraced in the long-term, I do think your assessment is on target.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I compared the the area around Cumberland the mix use develop to the area around Tuner..

You couldn't compare cause you know it's overtly an improvement so you compare Cumberland to Philly, then Turner plans after the Braves leaves....... All which doesn't change the point

The area around Cumberland is an improvement over the area Turner field..... Don't tell me about Philly tell about the area around Tuner when the Braves played there.... Having a mix use development next to the STP is an improvement over the Turner area regardless of how much you don't like it.
Stop acting like the mixed use development is the reason for moving to Cobb. The Braves had decades they could have worked to transform those empty parking lots. Now with the Braves gone the Turner area is getting a much better transformation than "The Battery". Obviously the area around Turner was not the issue. Their move is about getting a bigger tax payer handout from the cumps in Cobb.

Quote:
jsvh are you against the ARC?
Because you are "against" a small part of something doesn't mean you are against the whole thing. The world is not black and white. Metro Atlanta would have been better off if Cobb was a lake. They have a long history of harming the region (Being a detriment to Civil Rights, an international embarrassment during the Olympics, etc). And without Tim Lee giving away tax dollars, the Braves would not have left the city. Or even if they did it would have been to a better site like the old Doraville GM plant. Cobb did no service to the region by giving the Braves their handout.

Quote:
I completely agree with you on transit.... but Transit isn't the only goal in the ARC 2040 plan...

If Cumberland doesn't have transit because of political bs....... does the Cumberland area suppose to stare off in space and not try to accomplish the other tasks in the ARC 2040 plan?

before you to can walk or run you first most crawl and take baby steps. These steps are in the right direction of following the ARC. The Stadium is a small part of a larger agenda from the Cumberland CID and The ARC. but you can't see that cause your busy rooting against Cobb.
Make real transit actually happen in Cobb and I will believe it.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:28 AM

32,046 posts, read 36,960,903 times
Why can't we just let Cobb be Cobb? When they are ready for MARTA or some other form of mass transit they will likely jump on it with both feet.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why can't we just let Cobb be Cobb? When they are ready for MARTA or some other form of mass transit they will likely jump on it with both feet.
Unfortunately they are part of the metro and what they do impacts the rest of the region. I look forward to the day they can be a positive participant in the region. I am hopeful it will happen eventually.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:45 AM

32,046 posts, read 36,960,903 times
Quote:
Unfortunately they are part of the metro and what they do impacts the rest of the region. I look forward to the day they can be a positive participant in the region. I am hopeful it will happen eventually.
Cobb already does a lot for the region. There's no telling how much they've poured into MARTA, for instance. What about all the jobs and housing they supply? Great hospitals and institutions of higher learning? Homes for the Atlanta Ballet, the Opera and the Braves? Farsighted developers for places like KSM, the Jane and Star Metals? Prestigious corporate headquarters for international behemoths like Home Depot and Genuine Parts? And of course tremendous human capital, diversity, and so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta