Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 08:53 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Statements like "The county has been majority anti transit for a long time and a new vote would have surely failed' is just stupid
No it's not stupid, it's based on facts, something you clearly do not understand.

Quote:
It sounds like you have a problem with the 900,000 people that live out there.
I don't have a problem with anyone and never stated I did. Where did you get this garbage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I've said it before as to Cobb, but why can't we just let Gwinnett be Gwinnett?

If they want to join MARTA or otherwise pursue a mass transit system, fine. But if they're not ready, why should other people get wrapped around the axle?

Old 03-31-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

If they want to join MARTA or otherwise pursue a mass transit system, fine. But if they're not ready, why should other people get wrapped around the axle?

I agree, and I never stated what Gwinnett SHOULD do, only attempted to describe what we know about the relative state of their collective opinion on it through time. It should be 100% up to them. I don't live in Gwinnett so I do not get a say in the matter.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:04 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Quote:

Because it is not a question of if THE COUNTY isn't ready, it's a question of WHO in the county isn't ready. Are the people of the county, the voters, ready for it as polls show? Are the commissioners not ready? Why is there discrepancy.

THAT is the problem. The discrepancy. THAT is why I, personally, take so much issue.

The leaders don't bother talking it, but there's evidence that the people in general want it. So, letting Gwinnett be Gwinnett may just mean letting the overarching leadership, who have been challenged for their legitimacy of representation in the not so distant past, ignore their people's wants.

That's not even getting into the fact that they are not a county operating in vacuum compared to everyone else. They are a part of this metro, and their policies have direct and noticeable affects on other counties as well as the metro as a whole.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No it's not stupid, it's based on facts, something you clearly do not understand.
What facts? A freaking vote 27 years ago? The County was a third of the size it is now. A non-binding straw poll? LOL, yeah right. Those are some real ironclad 'facts.'

Quote:
I don't have a problem with anyone and never stated I did. Where did you get this garbage?
From this garbage: "The county has been majority anti transit for a long time and a new vote would have surely failed."

You are clearly incapable of admitting you're just wrong, but that's seems to be the new normal.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
What facts? A freaking vote 27 years ago? The County was a third of the size it is now. A non-binding straw poll? LOL, yeah right. Those are some real ironclad 'facts.'

From this garbage: "The county has been majority anti transit for a long time and a new vote would have surely failed."

You are clearly incapable of admitting you're just wrong, but that's seems to be the new normal.
You've provided NO data to support your opinion. And it would seem you are incapable of dealing with reality.

As I stated, polls have consistently shown majority NO until recently. For some reason that fact seems very hard for you to comprehend.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:27 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:

They can be themselves as long as that also means closing off all major road access (I-85, U.S. 78, etc) from the rest of the metro area. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
They can be themselves as long as that also means closing off all major road access (I-85, U.S. 78, etc) from the rest of the metro area. In for a penny, in for a pound.
So the federal highways.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 PM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Dynamo X View Post
And strangely, I-19/400 is looking green. I am not sure why this is the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
Yeah, that's weird too. Looking at the maps right now, seems like to get north, its Cheshire Bridge and Peachtree. And to get south its Peachtree, Northside, and it looks like Briarcliff? Anyways, just a mess. Seems like a typical Friday, with much more arterial traffic.
GA-400 is also closed due to this incident.. people are forced to exit at Sydney Marcus as GA-400 lets you onto I-85 literally right before this bridge.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:21 PM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I was thinking the same thing earlier. I've been checking Google Maps on my phone all day (btw, you can play Pacman on it right now) and 400 has been nothing but green. A lot of people who work in PC or Alpharetta aren't affected by this at all. Same for those in Cumberland that aren't commuting on 285. Heck, even people working in Buckhead but living way on up 400 aren't too affected. I can't imagine if all the jobs were concentrated just in Midtown/Downtown.
You realize GA-400 is closed right? You're forced to exit at Sydney Marcus, commuters are probably only taking it to I-285 as the Amber Alert signs all the way from Cumming promptly warned drivers NOT to continue on GA-400 into the perimeter, they diverged them onto I-285.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta