Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:08 AM

32,035 posts, read 36,857,518 times

Advertisements

Gutsy move by the Center for Civil and Human Rights to hold a press conference in February announcing that they were proud to accept the statue honoring comfort women, and then turn around a month later and say it didn't fit in with their landscaping plans. That's sticking up for the downtrodden.

MEDIA ALERT: Memorial Honoring Sexual and Human Trafficking Victims to be Installed at the Center for Civil and Human Rights in downtown Atlanta

Atlanta Museum Cancels Planned 'Comfort Women' Memorial - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 01:50 PM

4,845 posts, read 6,117,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvers2 View Post
They could have erected a statue to remember Stewart Avenue. That would have been closer to home. Why does Brookhaven feel they have a 'dog in this fight' for comfort women? Surely they had sense enough to know they were going to offend the local Japanese citizens and visitors. There is a time and place for everything. Brookhaven got both of them wrong.
The same reason theirs a Atlanta holocaust museum.

I think a lot of posters are forgetting metro Atlanta is home to a large Korean population.

It seems the Korean and the Japanese population are at odds with this. Being for or against the statue is either or is sensitive. The Japanese feel the statue created sentiment against them but If the statue was removed it will upset the Korean population.

Honestly I think the statue should stay, but I also think now there need to be a monument for the Japanese as well.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:20 PM

modcut

That's why I think this should stay the statue isn't about the Japanese it's about the victims, but on the other side this does raise questions, there needs to be things celebrating the Japanese and honored their victims to atrocities in American culture as well. I don't think their anything like that in metro Atlanta.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-08-2017 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: orphaned portion removed

Old 07-08-2017, 02:41 PM

23,507 posts, read 44,177,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
No, That's litteally the exact opposite situation. Those were put up by people who deny the civil war was over slavery, so actually those need to come down cause they put up to make people forget history.

This is more like white southerners opposing a civil right monument over the mistreat of people of color. Because they think it creates resentments to southern whites.

That's why I think this should stay the statue isn't about the Japanese it's about the victims, but on the other side this does raise questions, there needs to be things celebrating the Japanese and honored their victims to atrocities in American culture as well. I don't think their anything like that in metro Atlanta.
The memorials were erected as a means of remembering the dead, not forgetting history.
And there already exist memorials to the Japanese-American experience during the war.

https://www.nps.gov/places/japanese-...rld-war-ii.htm

https://www.bijac.org/

Old 07-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Also anyone who use issues like this to created resentment towards another group of people are in the wrong and miss the lesson.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The memorials were erected as a means of remembering the dead, not forgetting history.
And there already exist memorials to the Japanese-American experience during the war.

https://www.nps.gov/places/japanese-...rld-war-ii.htm

https://www.bijac.org/
Yeah of people who did something noble, victims and people who archived something to the society. Non of that was the CSA. After the civil war they wanted to create the narrative that they were heros they wasn't. They were people who committed treason and fought to keep slavery. That why it's a bad comparison. But this getting off topic.

Also that's good to hear, but I meant local is there something like that in the Atlanta area?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah of people who did something noble, victims and people who archived something to the society. Non of that was the CSA. After the civil war they wanted to create the narrative that they were heros they wasn't. They were people who committed treason and fought to keep slavery. That why it's a bad comparison. But this getting off topic.

Also that's good to hear, but I meant local is there something like that in the Atlanta area?
You have to remember that the overwhelming majority of those that died in the war were the sons of yeoman farmers with no money and power. They really had no dog in the fight. They were seduced into the "Cause" by politicians. These poor souls should be remembered and honored.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
You have to remember that the overwhelming majority of those that died in the war were the sons of yeoman farmers with no money and power. They really had no dog in the fight. They were seduced into the "Cause" by politicians. These poor souls should be remembered and honored.
And you can't do that by honoring the politicians cause. I put it this way, On the side of stone mountain and etc aren't the sons of yeoman farmers with no money and power the poor souls who should be remembered and honored...... it's the generals with power who committed treason, it's very bigot CSA politicians themselves who seduced them. the little guy wasn't what been memorized but rather a revision that CSA cause was noble and leaders were heroes.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
And you can't do that by honoring the politicians cause. I put it this way, On the side of stone mountain and etc aren't the sons of yeoman farmers with no money and power the poor souls who should be remembered and honored...... it's the generals with power who committed treason, it's very bigot CSA politicians themselves who seduced them. the little guy wasn't what been memorized but rather a revision that CSA cause was noble and leaders were heroes.
The average Confederate memorial honors a man who fell in battle.
Should we eradicate all war memorials? Do they all celebrate the political cause for which they were fighting?
My impression is that generally their focus has been on the sacrifice of the soldier. Whether you agree with their cause or not, they laid their lives down for it.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The average Confederate memorial honors a man who fell in battle.
Should we eradicate all war memorials? Do they all celebrate the political cause for which they were fighting?
My impression is that generally their focus has been on the sacrifice of the soldier. Whether you agree with their cause or not, they laid their lives down for it.
And that's not the controversy, it's the fact there are giants statues of CSA political leaders, and generals.... and streets and etc name after them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta