Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:52 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Made all that effort to come up here in the chance that Irma hit my town down in FL, just for it to steer away from it, and aim right at the ATL. Great. Glad to see those 12 hrs of driving, and short night sleeping in my car at the Welcome Center were worth it.
At least we're only going to endure tropical storm winds. Florida, on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:11 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,881 times
Evacuating 5 million people (I have no idea) from a logistical nightmare on a peninsula where the largest metro is on the end of it has got to be a logistical nightmare. Now we still don't know where Irma will make landfall, but it's looking like around Cape Sable and heading right up the "spine" of Florida into Georgia. Even yesterday the path was still uncertain. Let's say Monday you were preparing to evacuate, and you live in South Florida. You could go up 95, but Georgia and the Carolinas were in the path. You could go to Atlanta. It's hundreds of miles from anything, it's relatively easy to get there via road, and there are plenty of hotels. You could go to the panhandle or points west, but some models had it hitting the gulf side. I guess you go could even further north or west. If you did that you have to drive even further west or north and the storm might not even hit your area. I guess you can fly out, but with price gouging, that's not financially possible for some people. Driving hundreds of miles and spending money on gas, food, and lodging isn't cheap either for that matter. There's got to be a better way.

This all being said, Florida is most prepared for hurricanes. The only thing you can do is pray and hope that everyone has made the best decisions they could when preparing for the storm.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:08 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,877,908 times
i think it's still going to be a tropical storm when it hits us; probably 40-60 mph wind. the forecast i saw has it hitting us sometime monday night.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:24 PM

31 posts, read 28,912 times
Well, no school Monday.
Yah!!

Old 09-08-2017, 02:42 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laaaa View Post
Yeah this should definitely be taken seriously. Meteorologist are forecasting tropical storm force winds 40+ mph.
Back in March of this year we had a storm and a 25 mph wind did damage to many trees in the area and did this to my dad's car. (One side of the garage is currently full of junk and other side has another car parked.)

If 25 mph did that, 40+ plus is very concerning.
And we know how trees tumble like match sticks in GA.
Thanks for the pic. That's scary. I will definitely keep my car indoors.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:43 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
If I wanted hurricanes I would have moved to Florida. Keep those things out of here.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:45 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Made all that effort to come up here in the chance that Irma hit my town down in FL, just for it to steer away from it, and aim right at the ATL. Great. Glad to see those 12 hrs of driving, and short night sleeping in my car at the Welcome Center were worth it.
That sucks. Still glad you are up here though. Who knows when it will be safe to return to Florida. And all them da** alligators swimming around in the flood water..."Ain't nobody got time for that."

Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,751 times
is it true that another storm is brewing

Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 PM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
I'm currently in San Francisco to miss all the excitement but I was kind of wondering what would happen if Irma hugged the coast of West Florida and stayed pretty much in the Gulf and restrengthened to back to a Cat 5 Hurricane and made land fall in Tallahassee FL .. .. and smacked Atlanta with Hurricane force... If it stayed in the Gulf until Tallahassee it could very well still hit Atlanta as a Cat 3 storm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
is it true that another storm is brewing
Yes. Jose is heading to the islands as we speak

Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If I wanted hurricanes I would have moved to Florida. Keep those things out of here.
And I was going to say I would go to Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans and order a Hurricane drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta