Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times

Advertisements

LRT allows for more stations, and therefore more TOD (existing and new), and therefore more ridership.

With heavy rail, there would be a station at Sugarloaf and one at Gwinnett Place and then one at Indian Trail. Yeah, great. But LRT could have a station at Duluth Hwy @ Satellite, and 3 in the Gwinnett Place area. Boom. (And given how spread out and non-dense everything in Gwinnett is, the more stations, the better.)

Here is a better, much more detailed document about the old Gwinnett LRT study:
http://www.gwinnettplacecid.com/pdfs...nal_Report.pdf

Shows how they would design it, and where the stations would be.

And again, look at all this dang space:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9874...7i13312!8i6656

Gwinnett should save SO much money and construction time and simply run an LRT line in the median of Satellite Blvd, between Norcross and Sugarloaf. Part of the road has a grassy median of unused space anyway. All you'd really need to do is widen a bit in some parts to push the traffic lanes off to the sides, and maybe in some cases lose a traffic lane.

Again, the only thing about their plan I'd change, is not terminating it at the Gold Line, but instead making it one phase of a much longer LRT line to Perimeter Center and Cumberland. Connecting with Gold, Red, and another LRT line for Cobb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 02:47 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Georgia House approves metro Atlanta mass transit overhaul | AJC

Quote:
Among other things, the bill would create a new board to oversee transit planning and construction in the region. And it would allow Gwinnett County residents to vote on whether to join MARTA later this year.
28 years after Gwinnett’s last MARTA vote, is another coming? And soon? | AJC

Quote:
Under HB 930, counties that want to call a sales tax vote would need the approval of a new transit board created by the legislation. The board would put together a regional transit plan and coordinate projects across the 13 counties.

But the board would not be established until next January, meaning the soonest other counties could hold a vote would be 2019.

Gwinnett is finishing work on a mass transit plan and has been building toward a November referendum on a specific list of projects that has yet to be unveiled. Under HB 930, the county’s only option for a transit vote this year would be to join MARTA.

The alternative: Gwinnett, like other counties, could wait until next year or, more likely, 2020 to hold a transit referendum that does not involve joining MARTA.

Well, Nash said she wanted a transit vote THIS year. I wonder if she'll follow through on that now.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:10 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, Nash said she wanted a transit vote THIS year. I wonder if she'll follow through on that now.
Ironically if they voted on it this year, it would have to be to join MARTA, which was always an option for them, before any of these changes. And the MARTA phrasing will still have to be on the ballot, I think.

And it won't have anything to do with the ATL commission either, which would be strange since that's the whole point of this bill.

I think they'll be more open to it though, because of the branding. Such that even if they joined MARTA, the branding of anything purchased after January 1 2019 will be ATL-branded.

As far as I can tell, from my own reading of the bill, the only real big operational difference to joining MARTA instead of contracting with them under the new rules, would be that heavy rail would be allowed into the county if it joined MARTA in the traditional way under the MARTA Act legislation.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:34 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
If Gwinnett follows through with full on joining, it will become even more palatable for Cobb. This is getting exciting

Old 02-28-2018, 06:54 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
If Gwinnett follows through with full on joining, it will become even more palatable for Cobb. This is getting exciting
Yeah I think Gwinnett is going to come through then everyone else is going to have to jump on the bandwagon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta