Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 03:03 PM

492 posts, read 535,724 times

Advertisements

I was in UK a few weeks ago and most people I have met had some idea about Atlanta.. It may not be as renowned as NYC or LA but it has it's place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 03:24 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Where do you think is the capital of hip hop music then? Not debating quality, but what city is producing the most rap/hip hop artists right now?
TBH this is pretty interesting as I'm unable to find any firm statistics. Atlanta is definitely within the top 3 but I'm getting mixed results between Atlanta and New York City as for which one is the top.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:37 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
TBH this is pretty interesting as I'm unable to find any firm statistics. Atlanta is definitely within the top 3 but I'm getting mixed results between Atlanta and New York City as for which one is the top.
No, it is in it's current state. People don't have a good opinion of the sound, but Atlanta is definitely the trendsetter. It is no longer NYC or LA and people have a hard time with that.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No, it is in it's current state. People don't have a good opinion of the sound, but Atlanta is definitely the trendsetter. It is no longer NYC or LA and people have a hard time with that.
I'm guessing this probably also coincides with the black mecca title it carries so it would make sense.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
"it's kind of the capital of American hip hop music" ..lol uh NOOOOOO
Let me guess, you've convinced yourself it's Dallas?

And no, this doesn't really happen much to me. I'm in the Travel industry, and we are very well known in those circles.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:57 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
I travel in Mexico all the time and the Atlanta familiarity rate is near 100%.

Elsewhere, I’ve had people call out the most random things. Like the Walking Dead among young people in Moscow. MLK or Olympics? Puzzled stare.

People are also more likely to recognize Georgia in some cases. People learn states more than cities sometimes. Or I’ll just say we’re one state above Florida.

But it’s not a huge deal. Do most Americans know anything about Birmingham or Busan or Monterrey or Malmo? Even people ITT? It doesn’t matter too much really.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:17 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Technically speaking, Atlanta is the 37th most populous city in the US. So... that's not exactly noteworthy material.

It's the 9th largest metro, and I mean, how many of us have even heard of Visakhapatnam, let alone familiar with it. That's just for example the 9th largest metro in India. And it's actually similar metro size as Atlanta.

Other than size, Atlanta would need something else special or the best or biggest at something, to make it more noteworthy. The airport probably is the closest thing to that, being the busiest in the country. But most people don't really know that.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:33 PM

163 posts, read 138,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Technically speaking, Atlanta is the 37th most populous city in the US. So... that's not exactly noteworthy material.

It's the 9th largest metro, and I mean, how many of us have even heard of Visakhapatnam, let alone familiar with it. That's just for example the 9th largest metro in India. And it's actually similar metro size as Atlanta.

Other than size, Atlanta would need something else special or the best or biggest at something, to make it more noteworthy. The airport probably is the closest thing to that, being the busiest in the country. But most people don't really know that.

That comparison is selling Atlanta short a little, I think. In terms of GDP, the figures I've seen put Atlanta as high as the top 20ish (and as low as 40ish) worldwide. A Wiki search just showed me that Visakhapatnam's GDP by one of the same measures puts it somewhere near Madison WI's -- not exactly a global heavyweight. Of course, that's not the same as international reputation, but it's something.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:56 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The airport probably is the closest thing to that, being the busiest in the country. But most people don't really know that.
Correction - ATL is the busiest Airport in the World.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Correction - ATL is the busiest Airport in the World.
Only in connecting domestic / interregional flights. In international flights however, JFK would be the busiest. Given that it would be easy to see why some outside of the USA may or may not know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta