Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 AM

16,707 posts, read 29,537,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I suggest you read 'The Bitter Southerner'. It's a news blog that's pretty well set on celebrating the good, and challenging the bad of the South East U.S.

Link it here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post

Yes, lower-income people get priced out of neighborhoods. Often those people are black but not always. White working-class neighborhoods were often in the first wave of gentrification in the large cities in the Northeast.
Yes, exactly.

Clear examples--in Boston, the neighborhoods of South Boston, Charlestown, North End, and the eastern part of Dorchester. Almost completely gentrified now--well before Roxbury, Mattapan, other parts of Dorchester, etc.

Another clear example--in Atlanta, the neighborhood of Cabbagetown.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If I could go back in time and warn Gwinnett county ONE SINGLE THING, it would be this:

Build better quality housing stock!!!!

I think the biggest thing that's help the county back, especially around Gwinnett Place, is the houses are for the most part complete pieces of crap that haven't aged well at all. The apartment complexes are, too. The problem is the land isn't valuable enough to demo and build infill, and probably won't be in any of our lifetimes. They really shot themselves in the foot by building houses that just aged terribly.

Now, a question:

Driving around parts of Gwinnett as the article mentioned, it would be easy to assume the population is 50% Asian. You see Korean signs EVERYWHERE. But it's only 12% Asian...it's more than double that black. So how come you see so many more Asian owned businesses than African American owned businesses? Is it because Asians are more entrepreneurial? Or is it that there are twice as many black owned businesses and you just can't tell because they don't self-identify by catering only to their own communities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I think the Asians perhaps are more entrepreneurial. Hence 12% but many many business signs. Personally, you can have the Korean language posted, but I'd like to see English right next to it. Kinda how they do French/English in Ontario. Regarding the homes... Gwinnett Place has quality homes around it. Go around the mall and exit on Satellite. You're basically at Sugarloaf/Boggs/ Old Ptree near Parsons and Mc Daniel Park etc.
The Three Bears Effect
https://abagond.wordpress.com/2010/1...-bears-effect/

Old 11-25-2017, 10:23 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,631,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I mean, there's plenty to like about the Southeast. The Appalachians are beautiful. Atlanta's a pretty swell town, with some other pretty swell towns throughout the Piedmont Atlantic. The barrier islands and tidal rivers are lovely. There's pretty delicious, if bad for you, food.

Of course there are some real, entrenched problems of generation poverty, health, crime, and various other social problems, but they don't mean all those other nice things don't exist.

I suggest you read 'The Bitter Southerner'. It's a news blog that's pretty well set on celebrating the good, and challenging the bad of the South East U.S.
The wonderful things about the south that you've mentioned have always and will always be here. There is a lot to like about it and the good things haven't changed. But when I hear someone say they long for the South, it conjures images of Jim Crow, segregation, and the rest of the worst of our history. I enjoy Bitter Southerner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Pemgin obviously thinks 'longing for the South' means longing for slavery or Jim Crow or something. The kind of uneducated opinion that might be slightly understandable coming from someone from up north or out west.

You saying that Blacks 'get priced out' because they're poor? Any other racist stereotypes you'd like to share?
Of course that's what I think. The southern culture is still here, but now it's alongside a multitude of others. So, what are they longing for? The one guy from Stone Mountain outright said it. They're just regretful (or resentful) that we're much more diverse.

By the way, my family has lived in the Atlanta area since the mid 19th century. I'm not some recent transplant. I'm born and bred here and I know how wonderful the people can be and how terrible they can be. I know some actually do want things to go back to how it was pre-1960. Not that that sentiment is overwhelming prevalent, but it's there.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:19 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
There is nothing wrong with White people moving into the city. Just like there is nothing wrong with someone who is Black moving to Gwinnett. There is a clear resistance right now about white people moving into the city and it is no different than what was discussed in the linked article whether you want to admit it or not. Sorry.
Your right there is nothing wrong with White moving in the city,........ that called a straw man cause that not the issue, the issue is gentrification and people being price out. People don't want to move have no choice because they can't afford it. The issue isn't White moving in, Whites should move to the city the issue is lower class minorities being priced out. The city needs to remand affordable so city can keep both.

In Gwinnett the issue isn't Gentrification, Upper class Minorities aren't moving to lower class white areas in Gwinnett and whites being price out. Rather Minorities are moving to Gwinnett and some racist just don't like because of because.

Last edited by chiatldal; 11-25-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 11-25-2017, 11:25 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
White flight exists. Black flight doesn’t. You won’t admit that because it’s inconsistent with your racial grievance fantasies.
Is this true?
A while back I remember a discussion about how some black people upon becoming more successful don't stay in their neighborhoods and give back or try to grow the community. They instead move out to a different area that may be nicer, lower crime, or have better schools.

Also why is it when white people move in everything gets more expensive? Are black people truly priced out?

A few years ago I was talking to a black lady who had just sold her home in Edgewood. I wondered why she sold it as she owned it free and clear and the area property values were going up. She wasn't forced out at all. She simply wanted to cash out now. Now I can see where rentals might become more expensive and low income people might be forced to leave, but what about all the homeowners who voluntarily sell their homes in areas that are now up and coming?

Old 11-25-2017, 11:31 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Link it here...
The Bitter Southerner: For the Sake of the Story, for the Love of the South.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:44 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,463 times
Quote:
White flight exists. Black flight doesn’t. You won’t admit that because it’s inconsistent with your racial grievance fantasies.
Racial fantasies is telling us blacks can’t be successful and live in or produce successful neighborhoods. Nice racism bro.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:47 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Your right there is nothing wrong with White moving in the city,........ that called a straw man cause that not the issue, the issue is gentrification and people being price out. People don't want to move have no choice because they can't afford it. The issue isn't White moving in, Whites should move to the city the issue is lower class minorities being priced out. The city needs to remand affordable so city can keep both.

In Gwinnett the issue isn't Gentrification, Upper class Minorities aren't moving to lower class white areas in Gwinnett and whites being price out. Rather Minorities are moving to Gwinnett and some racist just don't like because of because.
Just like how there are racist people in the city who do not want white people moving in. This is happening right now. There is no difference. Also Gentrification and displacement are not one in the same. I have a YouTube video I can link on that subject so maybe you can understand it?

Old 11-25-2017, 12:19 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Is this true?
A while back I remember a discussion about how some black people upon becoming more successful don't stay in their neighborhoods and give back or try to grow the community. They instead move out to a different area that may be nicer, lower crime, or have better schools.

Also why is it when white people move in everything gets more expensive? Are black people truly priced out?

A few years ago I was talking to a black lady who had just sold her home in Edgewood. I wondered why she sold it as she owned it free and clear and the area property values were going up. She wasn't forced out at all. She simply wanted to cash out now. Now I can see where rentals might become more expensive and low income people might be forced to leave, but what about all the homeowners who voluntarily sell their homes in areas that are now up and coming?
The situation is different from middle class blacks vs lower class black neighborhoods. Not every one own there homes, Some people can be living in a neighborhood for decades and raised in it, then suddenly they can't afford it.

Black owners would sell simply cause they never seen that type of money, And as you pointed out it actually a bad decision because it too early, And as some pointed the demographic alone can affect prices which is a racist practice. Which means who ever they selling to is going to see more money from it then they ever could anyways.

But there is an issue of Blacks not investing back in there community, Other minorities groups would invest in there more communities and etc even if it's lower class. Upperclass Blacks on other hand are more likely to just move to suburban area. This does contribute partly to lack on upward mobility in these neighborhoods, Cause home grown upward mobility fless. The History of Sweet Aurburn is a good example. It was an upclass black Neighborhoods cause Blacks actually invested in the neighborhood but after segregation end the black wealth left. Technically this is called Black flight but it's not what BR Valentine was referring to. They didn't flee because they didn't like the demographics of the neighborhood.

Which bring me two other points

1. Seeing signs in Korean means directly means that family is hard working and just trying to live the American dreams, So what "fear" can one possibly have against that other than there racist?

2. The poverty in suburbs is increase due ironically because of Gentrification in the city. That city becomes so high that their best option become the suburbs, Remember Gentrification doesn't fix the problem it just push it around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta