Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 11:42 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Agreed.

I'm sure Dawsonville is a nice place and all on its own, but I have no question most of the people even considering investing, living or doing business there only do so because of their ties to Atlanta and its big city amenities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Well, sure you are right. They aren't gonna build this thing in Americus. But, that doesn't mean that it is Atlanta sprawl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
All due respect, why wouldn’t it be? If it’s influences originate from Atlanta, why would it not be considered sprawl? Dawson doesn’t have a Gainesville like Hall or am Athens like Clarke. Dahlonega is not really an influence from Lumpkin and Dawsonville itself is a small town.

Help me understand this. Maybe I’m missing something.
The distance from Atlanta is not what is happening here. it is the distance from job centers in Alpharetta. If Alpharetta weren't a decent straight shot, nothing would be happening in Dawson.

My home county of Meriwether is just as far from downtown, much closer to the airport, but it is the opposite direction from where the center of Atlanta metro jobs are consolidating. it is as close to growth in places like Newnan and PTC as Dawson is to Alpharetta, but as well as Newnan and PTC have done, they aren't bringing in the employment centers like North Fulton cities have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 11:49 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I kind of agree. I mean, how many people are really going to move all the way up to Dawsonville to commute down to Atlanta every day? I mean, this development is the same distance from Downtown as the Alabama state line, Madison, Adairsville, Pendergrass, and Hogansville.

Sure, pretty much everything within 100 miles of Atlanta is probably somewhat related to Atlanta being there. I mean, hell...when I went to Auburn, we knew that Atlanta was there and that it was the big city where we went for big events, but it's not like everything that happened there was due to Atlanta being around.

I call it tangentially-related, but not quite sprawl. However, I do question such a large development in Dawsonville.
Posted the above before I saw this. My hometown of Hogansville got mentioned. And no, there aren't a lot of people that are driving from Hogansville to downtown Atlanta everyday.... even though this is happening... but there are PLENTY of people driving to Newnan for work. The bulk of these people will be driving to Alpharetta, Roswell, Gainesville, and even Forsyth for jobs.... not downtown Atlanta.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:17 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,427,514 times
People have lost their minds in this thread.

Also, I had no idea Dawsonville had such a demand for Chinese products.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:09 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,715,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
People have lost their minds in this thread...
Thanks for your provocative, well thought out contribution!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:55 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
It may technically be sprawl but it least it's not a strip mall + a cookie-cutter subdivision full of cul-de-sacs.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:57 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,363,346 times
[quote=ATL Also, I had no idea Dawsonville had such a demand for Chinese products.[/QUOTE]

....what?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It may technically be sprawl but it least it's not a strip mall + a cookie-cutter subdivision full of cul-de-sacs.
...Yet...

At the rate Forsyth County is building out, it won't be long.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
...Yet...

At the rate Forsyth County is building out, it won't be long.
I'm talking about this particular development. Although there will undoubtedly be more typical subdivisions and strip malls up that way, depending on how well Etowah Village does, it could set the tone for many developments that follow.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm talking about this particular development. Although there will undoubtedly be more typical subdivisions and strip malls up that way, depending on how well Etowah Village does, it could set the tone for many developments that follow.
It speaks more to these types of development simply being the flavor of the day (same thing with all of the food halls).

In the 70s - 90s, it was indoor shopping malls and subdivision.

Now with the desire for a more urban environments snd the shift towards online retail, developers are now building lifestyle centers and walkable mixed use villages.

Who knows what the flavor of the day will be when it comes to these types of developments a decade from now.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It speaks more to these types of development simply being the flavor of the day (same thing with all of the food halls).

In the 70s - 90s, it was indoor shopping malls and subdivision.

Now with the desire for a more urban environments snd the shift towards online retail, developers are now building lifestyle centers and walkable mixed use villages.

Who knows what the flavor of the day will be when it comes to these types of developments a decade from now.
I don't see more walkable developments (mixed-use/New Urbanist/TND) falling out of favor given broader trends related to fossil fuel consumption, technological advancements in transportation, and climate change. We're getting better at building more sustainable developments, even if incrementally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta