Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:12 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,017,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
For whatever reason, Atlanta is more known for its traffic more than cities that are similar
I don’t think that it is. At least not outside of the south. I hear about DC and NYC, but never Atlanta. It’s just another big city with big city traffic for the most part.

But my personal observation is that it has infrastructure issues with surface streets that may not be correctable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 10:25 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,466,618 times
For me Philly moves surprisingly well, I just didn’t like how you basically are on the interstate from the entrance ramp. Philly drivers also don’t weed in and out of lanes like Atlanta drivers.

While living in San Diego. Going to LA was really bad on the 405.

San Diego was good, but they have long Boulevards that runs through the entire city as well.

Dallas moves well and had a lot of Interstate expansion occurring. They drive fast in Dallas.

No problems in Miami.

NYC was fine

Atlanta traffic is awful, I would not be caught anywhere OTP after 7am. I’m baffled at the limit rail access and no new Marta stations in years.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 04-06-2019 at 10:37 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 12:18 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,017,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Philly drivers also don’t weed in and out of lanes like Atlanta drivers.
Does anywhere? Lol

I think that Atlanta is top for drivers weaving across lanes. Often many lanes at a time. I see it every time that I drive there.

The other thing that is noticeable is the variation in speed. In LA most people drive between 65 and 75 mph when traffic is moving. Some slower and a few faster, but the large majority will be in that range. In Atlanta I sometimes see people driving 60 mph in the left lane and others going around them at 80-85. More slow drivers and more fast drivers than LA. And lots weaving around. Does that lead to accidents or am I overstating things?

Old 04-07-2019, 01:00 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,466,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Does anywhere? Lol

I think that Atlanta is top for drivers weaving across lanes. Often many lanes at a time. I see it every time that I drive there.

The other thing that is noticeable is the variation in speed. In LA most people drive between 65 and 75 mph when traffic is moving. Some slower and a few faster, but the large majority will be in that range. In Atlanta I sometimes see people driving 60 mph in the left lane and others going around them at 80-85. More slow drivers and more fast drivers than LA. And lots weaving around. Does that lead to accidents or am I overstating things?
I believe it does lead to more accidents. I have seen many horrible accidents on the connector from over aggressive drivers. I see Atlanta drivers also driving in the median and emergency lane.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:14 AM

11,886 posts, read 8,134,482 times
Quote:
Does anywhere? Lol

Houston TX
DFW is no joke either.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM

16,731 posts, read 29,635,711 times
Quote:
Does anywhere? Lol

I think all of this is mostly true about Atlanta, unfortunately.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,385,448 times
I would just like to be a voice of reason for the people who drive fast. For the most part, I haven't seen fast drivers drive dangerously (for ex., weaving in and out of traffic). I'm pretty grateful for them actually because if everyone was doing the speed limit and/or something near to it, we wouldn't have the kind of traffic flow we have during non-rush hours. This at least seems true for the 75. I have driven on the 75 and pretty shocked at the traffic levels during rush hour (traffic is actually moving). The 85 always has traffic. Maybe that express highway from Cherokee going into Cobb has truly made a difference.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:18 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,911,583 times
Quote:
I don’t think that it is. At least not outside of the south. I hear about DC and NYC, but never Atlanta. It’s just another big city with big city traffic for the most part.

But my personal observation is that it has infrastructure issues with surface streets that may not be correctable.
Totally agreed.

However, hollering about traffic has been elevated to a holy mission here. Folks have been predicting since 1925 that Atlanta's traffic congestion would bring about the imminent demise of the city.

Somehow we've managed to keep going.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:06 PM

11,886 posts, read 8,134,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I would just like to be a voice of reason for the people who drive fast. For the most part, I haven't seen fast drivers drive dangerously (for ex., weaving in and out of traffic). I'm pretty grateful for them actually because if everyone was doing the speed limit and/or something near to it, we wouldn't have the kind of traffic flow we have during non-rush hours. This at least seems true for the 75. I have driven on the 75 and pretty shocked at the traffic levels during rush hour (traffic is actually moving). The 85 always has traffic. Maybe that express highway from Cherokee going into Cobb has truly made a difference.
I haven't seen the Express Lane at work during peak hours but its kind of fun to use it during non-peak hours. During my stays around the metro though I almost always catch it during the wrong hours (its always reversed against the direction I'm heading). During non peak hours I-75 actually does pretty well, its usually only during peak hours that I-75 is a mess. I-85 on the other hand...I can't think of a definition to describe how unpredictable and unpleasant that highway is. That road is the literal reason I bought a PeachPass (I was quite surprised by how much time the HOT lane saved me when I first used it.)

Quote:

The surface arteries (especially eastern / western arterials in the northern suburbs) are a complete joke for a city this size. There was just no collaboration / hindsight when designing connecting routes, and some of major arteries take you right through heavy commercial nodes between job and residential sectors making commuting on them even worse. At this point, its still 'possible' to correct but it would be extremely expensive and receive ALOT of political pushback... so...yeah... incorrectable.

Despite the fact there are freeways in Atlanta that I wish existed......

For example:
-- P.I.B. for example really needs to be a full super arterial tollway between Buckhead / Midtown area and GA-20 near Mall of GA.
-- Stone Mountain Fwy should have connected to downtown and should also remain limited access atleast until after passing Monroe
-- Tara Blvd needs to be a tolled super arterial with access roads for the locals until GA-20 at the Race Track - a spur tolled route diverging west to GA-53 to connect Fayetteville with a limited access corridoor)
-- A parkway like Ronald Reagan to connect Gwinnett, N. Fulton, and N.Cobb
-- Outer Perimeter ...there I said it... shoot me :P

My personal belief that the best thing for Atlanta today would not be to expand on the arterials (or even biuld new highways around the suburbs) but to focus HEAVILY on improving transit between sectors of the city and suburbs. To me, this is Atlanta's true last hope at resolving any kind of commuter logistical issues...by offering the ability to park your car at a local transit station in your suburb, ride a train to nearly anywhere within the metro, and shuttle to work. Yes...there will still be traffic on the highways but at this point we can say we gave you an FEASIBLE alternative...use it.

I personally would gladly put my car down at a park and ride center in say Gwinnett and ride to / from work.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:29 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,385,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I haven't seen the Express Lane at work during peak hours but its kind of fun to use it during non-peak hours. During my stays around the metro though I almost always catch it during the wrong hours (its always reversed against the direction I'm heading). During non peak hours I-75 actually does pretty well, its usually only during peak hours that I-75 is a mess. I-85 on the other hand...I can't think of a definition to describe how unpredictable and unpleasant that highway is. That road is the literal reason I bought a PeachPass (I was quite surprised by how much time the HOT lane saved me when I first used it.)

That's a good point. I haven't really been on highways during rush hour often enough to be able to see a difference prior to and after the express highway. Still, the other day it was after 4 something and traffic was pretty darn good. I believe one time it was after 6:30 and it was pretty good. The 85 is always a mess. Maybe it has to do with that side having a bigger population because I can't see any other way why the 85 is always so full of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta