Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 PM
bu2

24,248 posts, read 15,084,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
It is???
Philadelphia peaked at nearly 2.1 million people in 1950. They were 1.526 million in 2010. They may be having a very slight uptick since then, but its pretty insignificant relative to the loss of population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 12:23 PM

225 posts, read 146,285 times
Lived in NYC and LA. Back and forth. From early 90's to early 2000's. Los Feliz near Griffith Park and Larchmont Village in LA and Upper East Side of NYC. In NYC didn't need our car. LA employ was part time catering and more than part time social work. Was all over LA. LA traffic can be really bad. 2am to 4am isn't so bad (;
NYC is forget-about-it bad, but only those who must drive in NYC do so. Almost everyone drives in LA. Thing I most feel about North Fulton, Cherokee, Cobb and other areas around here, is the never ending sprawl, the sameness of shopping and housing (single family/townhouses) just sucks ones soul dry. There was much greater diversity in housing, neighborhoods and shopping in NYC and LA. IMO. Things have changed a bit in fourteen years, but recent visits to NYC and LA and felt that old rush of invigoration those cities always bring me. Invigoration is not a word I would apply to Georgia. I certainly felt regular invigoration/stimulation living in and around the heavy traffic of Miami, Florida. Must be missing out on venues, places that make North Fulton and surrounding areas so loved by so many. Bedroom communities, big box store sameness, lots of congestion (though more polite drivers than I found in NYC, LA or Miami) is my description to people when they ask me about where I now live. Why my parents stayed here for forty-five years is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps they just never expect much from a place, having grown up in rural Kansas (;

Last edited by trouillot; 05-08-2019 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 03:23 PM

163 posts, read 139,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
Lived in NYC and LA. Back and forth. From early 90's to early 2000's. Los Feliz near Griffith Park and Larchmont Village in LA and Upper East Side of NYC. In NYC didn't need our car. LA employ was part time catering and more than part time social work. Was all over LA. LA traffic can be really bad. 2am to 4am isn't so bad (;
NYC is forget-about-it bad, but only those who must drive in NYC do so. Almost everyone drives in LA. Thing I most feel about North Fulton, Cherokee, Cobb and other areas around here, is the never ending sprawl, the sameness of shopping and housing (single family/townhouses) just sucks ones soul dry. There was much greater diversity in housing, neighborhoods and shopping in NYC and LA. IMO. Things have changed a bit in fourteen years, but recent visits to NYC and LA and felt that old rush of invigoration those cities always bring me. Invigoration is not a word I would apply to Georgia. I certainly felt regular invigoration/stimulation living in and around the heavy traffic of Miami, Florida. Must be missing out on venues, places that make North Fulton and surrounding areas so loved by so many. Bedroom communities, big box store sameness, lots of congestion (though more polite drivers than I found in NYC, LA or Miami) is my description to people when they ask me about where I now live. Why my parents stayed here for forty-five years is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps they just never expect much from a place, having grown up in rural Kansas (;

Haha, so all of Georgia, including Atlanta, is only a slight step up from rural Kansas? Pretty harsh burn...

Old 05-08-2019, 04:25 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,405,365 times
Quote:
Well move instead of complaining on a message board. There are a lot of worse and boring places in the country than metro Atlanta. It might not be NYC (what city in America is?) or LA but it certainly isn't bad as you make it out to be.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:09 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,393,696 times
Quote:
Well, the truth is, everyone likes different things. I, for instance, hate NYC and LA. I do not get "invigorated" when I go to either. I find them crowded and dirty, and cannot wait to leave and get back to GA.

And how does the housing situation in NTC not suck ones' soul dry? Apartment building after apartment building, block after block.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,647,675 times
Dude just compared NYC and LA to Cherokee, Cobb and North Fulton and feels underwhelmed. Well, duh.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 PM

11,987 posts, read 8,238,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Oh, completely agree with you, the Twin Cities overall has very good infrastructure. That said, everyone hates their on ramps (entering and exiting share the same lane), excessive pot holes, lack of highways with more than 2 lanes in each direction, etc. The city is 60%+ German and Scandinavian heritage, so generally they tend to be fairly planful and precise.

All that to say, I would actually expect a southern, lower tax, sunbelt/exploding population city that has another 2M residents to have even more infrastructure issues than the Twin Cities.

Biggest differences I notice: better asphalt quality here, worse side roads, fewer highways but greater capacity per highway, and fewer on/off ramps forcing everyone to exit at one of a very few choices.
Is this why the base of their traffic lights are yellow as they are in those mentioned countries? I've always been wondering this. Minneapolis / St.Paul never really felt like I was in America when I go there.

Anyway...

Georgia roads are actually pretty good in comparison to most of the country, not speaking of design here, but the quality to which they are built.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,523,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Dude just compared NYC and LA to Cherokee, Cobb and North Fulton and feels underwhelmed. Well, duh.
It’s 2019, and folks still have it out for The South. Who in the hell compares quintessential suburbs to quintessential cities?

Old 05-08-2019, 10:05 PM

16,733 posts, read 29,732,287 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
It’s 2019, and folks still have it out for The South. Who in the hell compares quintessential suburbs to quintessential cities?

Exactly. This is actually pretty common--and it is weird.

People will compare a swath of suburban Atlanta with an urban area in the Northeast or Out-West.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:31 AM

225 posts, read 146,285 times
Criticism deserved. I realized not apple to apple comparing burbs in Cherokee/North Fulton to big urban areas elsewhere. Definitely dumb on my part. Having difficult time adjusting to moving back to this area after being away for many decades. Yup it's grown insanely since early eighties. I just like hustle bustle stimulation of large cities and immediate surrounding areas of same. My impressions of Georgia return would likely be different if I could afford to live in, say, Buckhead or other place closer to ATL. Big tradeoff though would be tough slog in traffic to/from my elderly parents in Alpharetta. Apologies for my "misguided" posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta