Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times

Advertisements

I feel like most people from the south prefer places like Nashville, Charlotte and Florida.

They may come here when they are just out of school seeking work, but they usually leave in a couple years.

Of course, not all of them, but that's just a trend I've noticed. I think most southerners either find Atlanta too much of a hassle for them, or if they really want a city, they just go up to New York or the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 PM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
On my street in Peachtree City we definitely have more midwestern transplants, particularly a lot of Minnesota transplants due to the Northwest/Delta merger. We also have an Indian family, a Japanese family, and one other southern family from North Carolina.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
what i want to know is where are all the people with so much money coming from? i live in alpharetta which has always been ritzy but recently it's like $800,000 townhomes, super high end restaurants... and intown in atlanta, too, those moving in these luxury condos, the investor class. where are they coming from? and how can we get them to go back? or at least not replace everything in the neighborhood like they own the place?

Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 PM

615 posts, read 537,928 times
I can definitely see a major uptick in Charlotte of transplants from GA with plates from Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Hall, and other counties in the ATL metro. And I have talked to recent college graduates from southern universities such as LSU, South Carolina, Mississippi, Arkansas, Florida, and Fla State that are now moving to Charlotte. Twenty years ago those graduates were probably moving to ATL. And ATL is still probably still getting its share of southern graduates, but it is now sharing with CLT, Nashville, and RDU.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:08 AM

82 posts, read 81,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what i want to know is where are all the people with so much money coming from? i live in alpharetta which has always been ritzy but recently it's like $800,000 townhomes, super high end restaurants... and intown in atlanta, too, those moving in these luxury condos, the investor class. where are they coming from? and how can we get them to go back? or at least not replace everything in the neighborhood like they own the place?
People are selling their homes in the NE/WC for 100 and 200k gains at a time and putting down payments on the homes here. Not too sure about the 800k price point (especially for a townhome) but anything under 450k is considered a steal for most OOSers, especially considering the square footage and land you get at that price. 450k here may as well be 1.5M elsewhere

Old 04-03-2019, 08:23 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Oddly enough, the Census Bureau keeps track of this. I can't seem to find it, but it's about even between Northerners/Midwesterners and people from other Southern states. Like others are said, you are more l likely to run in to Northern transplants in the suburban areas of North Fulton, Gwinnett, and (not mentioned yet) near southside in the Tri-Cities, south Dekalb, and Clayton county. The latter three areas I have personally dubbed as Queens 2.0. LOL

North Dekalb is interesting in that the more suburban areas like North Druid hills and the like are more populated by Northerners while places like Brookhaven is where every SEC frat bro and sorority girl seem to want to relocate to. Chamblee and Doraville are more of an even mix, but it gets overshadowed by the large foreign transplant populations there.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:35 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
you are more l likely to run in to Northern transplants near southside in the Tri-Cities, south Dekalb, and Clayton county.
Do you have a source to back up that assertion?

According to the ARC (which pulled its data from the Census), the highest concentration of transplants south of Atlanta is in Coweta/Fayette/Henry counties.

In fact, the tri-cities, South DeKalb and Clayton County have some of the *lowest* amount of transplants in the heart of Metro Atlanta.
Attached Thumbnails
Which group of transplants are more common in Atlanta: Northeasterners or Deep Southerners(outside Georgia)?-movingtogeorgia3.png  

Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM

651 posts, read 476,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I feel like most people from the south prefer places like Nashville, Charlotte and Florida.

They may come here when they are just out of school seeking work, but they usually leave in a couple years.

Of course, not all of them, but that's just a trend I've noticed. I think most southerners either find Atlanta too much of a hassle for them, or if they really want a city, they just go up to New York or the west coast.
I find this true for white transplants more so then black ones.

Like, I've never or rarely heard a single black person making plans or get exited about Birmingham or even Nashville for example over ATL unless they already live in those places and in the case of Bham they sure as hell don't move back if the leave Bham for ATL but white people love Nashville and Bham.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I've never heard anybody get excited for Bham. What I hear a lot more is, "I wasn't really super excited about moving to Birmingham, but it actually turned out to be a great place."

People do seem to get really excited about Nashville, though.

I'm speaking mostly from a white perspective, I guess. Most of the black people I know either grew up pretty close to here or came from larger cities up north. I haven't met many that come from other areas of the south, though I'm sure they're around.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:09 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
I find this true for white transplants more so then black ones.

Like, I've never or rarely heard a single black person making plans or get exited about Birmingham or even Nashville for example over ATL unless they already live in those places and in the case of Bham they sure as hell don't move back if the leave Bham for ATL but white people love Nashville and Bham.
With the exception of oobanks he's overly excited about Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta