Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 09:11 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm speaking mostly from a white perspective, I guess. Most of the black people I know either grew up pretty close to here or came from larger cities up north. I haven't met many that come from other areas of the south, though I'm sure they're around.
Not true there's a large number of black people from the South that end up here after college from HBCUs and other universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
I'm sure you're right. My sample size is not statistically significant.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:27 AM

651 posts, read 476,741 times
Quote:
I've never heard anybody get excited for Bham. What I hear a lot more is, "I wasn't really super excited about moving to Birmingham, but it actually turned out to be a great place."

People do seem to get really excited about Nashville, though.

I'm speaking mostly from a white perspective, I guess. Most of the black people I know either grew up pretty close to here or came from larger cities up north. I haven't met many that come from other areas of the south, though I'm sure they're around.
Ok, you are correct me on Bham because that is absolutely true (for white people). Once they actually go if they aren’t from there they think it’s awesome lol.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:37 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Most of the Black people I knew while living in Atlanta and still know were either from other Southern states or large metros outside of the South. Several were native Georgians too but they were outnumbered by folks from elsewhere.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Based upon my interactions,

Atlanta Natives & midwestern people are the two most numerous groups. Ohio probably makes up 10% of the Atlanta general population.

Well as far as Black people in ATL Metro go there is a very strong Georgia-Ohio/Michigan connection, it's not uncommon to meet someone who is from here and has kinfolk from Cleveland or Detroit, or someone from somewhere like Cincinnati who has kinfolk from down here. During the Great Migration, that area of the north/midwest was the destination that a lot of Black folks who left this part of the south ended up in. Back then they just caught the train due north, and most train lines from here ended up in that particular area. Like the famous soul group the Isley Brothers, they were from Cleveland, but their parents were from the Westside of Atlanta. On the GA end take James Brown, he did a lot of his early recordings in Cincinnati, because when he was an unknown trying to just get studio time to record, he had more family connections up that way actually than he did right here in Georgia. Same way that most American Blacks in places like DC, NYC, and Philly have ancestors from the Carolinas, same with Chicago, most of their kinfolks came from Memphis, NO, and other places in and around the Mississippi Delta, and most Black folks in Cali had their kinfolks come from Texas.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:33 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,957 times
Most of the black folk I've met are from all over, but mostly California and New York; most of the white people I've met are from the New England area; most of the Asian population I've met is from metro Atlanta.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:49 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
my neighborhood seems to be 50/50.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:30 AM

761 posts, read 908,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Well as far as Black people in ATL Metro go there is a very strong Georgia-Ohio/Michigan connection, it's not uncommon to meet someone who is from here and has kinfolk from Cleveland or Detroit, or someone from somewhere like Cincinnati who has kinfolk from down here. During the Great Migration, that area of the north/midwest was the destination that a lot of Black folks who left this part of the south ended up in. Back then they just caught the train due north, and most train lines from here ended up in that particular area. Like the famous soul group the Isley Brothers, they were from Cleveland, but their parents were from the Westside of Atlanta. On the GA end take James Brown, he did a lot of his early recordings in Cincinnati, because when he was an unknown trying to just get studio time to record, he had more family connections up that way actually than he did right here in Georgia. Same way that most American Blacks in places like DC, NYC, and Philly have ancestors from the Carolinas, same with Chicago, most of their kinfolks came from Memphis, NO, and other places in and around the Mississippi Delta, and most Black folks in Cali had their kinfolks come from Texas.
No surprise here, but Atlanta has one of the largest African American transplant populations in the nation. There has been a net increase in the black population of over 1M since the 90's. In fact from 2000-2010, the metro area added about a million people. Over 50% of that net increase was from African Americans. In comparison, during that same period, the net white increase was just 33% of the total. The overall demographics of metro Atlanta have gone from 63% white in 2000 to 47% in 2017. In the same period, the African American population has grown from 28.9% to 33%. So since 2000, the majority of transplants in metro Atlanta have been African Americans. Now, you're just as likely to run into black transplants in the suburbs as white transplants, which is kind of cool. Few cities can attract this much diversity.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:35 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Yeah the way those train lines ran in the Great Migration era are a pretty strong predictor as to where Blacks in Northern and Western cities have roots in the South. A lot of Blacks out west also have roots in LA and AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta