Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 06:13 PM

450 posts, read 271,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testess View Post
This is a massive L for the city. Isn't Music Midtown like the biggest festival in Atlanta. First MLB All Star game now this. And I'm sure this is gonna effect other events.

The All-Star game was just the MLB being ridiculously woke and failing to read the room. I can buy that Music Midtown was actually due to insurance reasons though. Americans, crowds, drugs/alcohol, and open carry really don't mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 06:13 PM

702 posts, read 442,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
I kind of feel like every other fast growing sun belt city could qualify for the statement. Dallas, Phoenix, etc.

Such a shame that this event is being canceled. I’m not against guns per say, but I agree that our gun laws need reform. Just like many who have commented, I really don’t understand the people who feel entitled to carry their guns everyone (including a park) just in case a nightmarish self defense situation presents itself.

Some laws don’t make sense. I hope change is coming.
I think the extreme between the left and right of Georgia is bigger than it is in the other fast sun belt growing cities which leads to more bickering and less accomplishing things on common ground. Not sure about Phoenix but Texas, Nashville, Charlotte don't have the uber liberal democrats as much as metro Atlanta, and Georgia which also happens to produce people like Marjorie Taylor. In a sense it's like because Atlanta is trending more left/blue and democratic it causes the other side to become even more crazier and radical.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:29 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Imagine the thought process to cancel a festival that’s been going on for decades because a state passes a bill allowing law abiding citizens to carry a gun for protection without going through a silly permit process. Thugs carry and have always carried guns. This law doesn’t make more thugs carry guns, they were already doing that. Whoever canceled this is an idiot.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:35 PM

1,005 posts, read 728,655 times
Well would you look at that, the ideals championed by one party is bad for business, but they don’t care, because it hurts the liberal city and not some metro city that benefits greatly from proximity to the city. Oh well, and this will become more of a thing in other states. GA overrepresented in those arrested for the capitol insurrection so I don’t blame anyone concerned about the mental instability of people in this state.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:53 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Atlanta is becoming less and less attractive, and overpriced super suburban metro area with terrible transportation option and caught in the middle of a battle between the super far left and far right.
There is no "left" in Georgia, there is barely a "left" in states like California or New York either.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:05 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Atlanta's 2022 Music Midtown festival canceled

Organizers on Monday posted that "due to circumstances beyond our control" they would no longer be hosting the event. The website said that ticket holders would receive refunds in the next 24 hours ..."

https://www.11alive.com/article/ente...7-61258910a0bb

11 Alive
This is bad.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:10 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Imagine the thought process to cancel a festival that’s been going on for decades because a state passes a bill allowing law abiding citizens to carry a gun for protection without going through a silly permit process. Thugs carry and have always carried guns. This law doesn’t make more thugs carry guns, they were already doing that. Whoever canceled this is an idiot.
It's not about the recent permitless carry law, it's about the court ruling (on a long existing, pre-Kemp law) that public places that aren't government buildings (and some other exceptions) can't ban firearms.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:42 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
There is no "left" in Georgia, there is barely a "left" in states like California or New York either.
The "far left" and "far right" seem to me to be less based on actual left-right policy and more concerned with whatever pisses off the other side the most.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:26 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
The "far left" and "far right" seem to me to be less based on actual left-right policy and more concerned with whatever pisses off the other side the most.
And this "culture war" is entirely fueled by the right. They're the only ones concerned about forcing their cultural values onto people through law instead of focusing on real issues like climate change, rising income inequality and poverty, and our terrible infrastructure. Stop caring about what people do in their bedrooms and how they identify and start focusing on the stuff that will kill us if we don't address it.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:43 AM

493 posts, read 291,022 times
Also this interpretation of the law came from Deals "Guns everywhere" law that was passed back in 2014. A guns rights group sued the botanical garden which made it's way up to the GA Supreme Court. The ruling essentially said that a long term lease on public land grants some amount of ownership of the land to that private entity which allows them to restrict guns while in a short term lease/event the land is still considered public, so guns cannot be restricted.

IMO if this happened 5 years ago the law would be fixed to allow for ticketed large private events in public parks/areas to be exempt. With how everything is today who knows, I'm sure Kemp doesn't like the optics of it right before his election though.

Last edited by Datdudebrah; 08-02-2022 at 05:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta