Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:57 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Rumor has it The Cheetah received a $33M offer for their property.
https://twitter.com/cbenderatl/statu...27613842915330
If true - Win-Win.

"See ya, girls. If you need me, I'll be somewhere along the Cote d'Azur."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
I kinda hate that Midtown is losing the form of fine-grained urbanism it has that comes with time, but that's a result of Midtown not having historically been a traditional CBD with a lot of three-four story commercial storefronts that are more easily repurposed and adaptively reused like you see in downtown. Instead there's more one-story buildings with not much architectural significance that are making way for glass and steel towers and such. But still, they tell the story of Atlanta's history in their own way. Oh well.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I kinda hate that Midtown is losing the form of fine-grained urbanism it has that comes with time, but that's a result of Midtown not having historically been a traditional CBD with a lot of three-four story commercial storefronts that are more easily repurposed and adaptively reused like you see in downtown. Instead there's more one-story buildings with not much architectural significance that are making way for glass and steel towers and such. But still, they tell the story of Atlanta's history in their own way. Oh well.
Agree, and going forward I hope that more of that type of development is woven into Midtown's urban fabric. A community that is consistently highrise can be just as dull as one that is lowrise; it fact it can at times be oppressive and dehumanizing IMO. Some of the finest examples of Atlanta architecture are less than 10 stories tall.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:45 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Sounds about right.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The part of Boston that really blows me away is the newly named Seaport District. This neighborhood used to be low rise brick warehouses and dumpy tenements, it's where you went if you were looking for assorted trouble.

Now it's become an extremely modern glassy highrise neighborhood. It almost looks like Vancouver has been transported to New England.

MIT's expansion in Cambridge is equally impressive. It looks like a miniature version of Midtown Atlanta.

As difficult as it can be to deal with, they're doing a lot of things right up there.

This is so true. There is a lot the City of Atlanta and Metro Atlanta could learn from the City of Boston and Metro Boston--but be sure we take the "learnin'" and do it with Atlanta/Southern/Urban Forest style

Old 06-25-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
So when does the Varsity go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
And sorry, the loss of the Varsity would be a travesty. The bad food is awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My guess is that the Varsity would be incorporated into whatever is constructed on the current site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I hope they keep the Varsity as is

It fits into the fabric of Georgia Tech collegeness

Quote:
I'm conflicted over this. While iconic, it's also homely and increasingly out of place.
I say repurpose elements of the old building into the ground floor of any prospective new building placed on its footprint.

Varsity must stay. Varsity must stay as is. I think it would be great for South Midtown, Georgia Tech, and North Downtown to continue developing around it. The Varsity would remain an iconic and "in-use" landmark of a bygone era.

So drive-thru. So retro. So vintage.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
True, and the funeral home across from where Checkers was located had mentioned they were staying, but money talks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The old Funeral Home itself is landmarked and protected, but I think you're right. I think there was something in Curbed a while back about them shopping the property.
Quote:
The city has granted Patterson Funeral Home historic landmark status, so it's not going anywhere.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/rest-...jhLtqdn4mZI8N/
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This is as it should be. You can always build generic concrete boxes but Patterson's is unique.
Quote:
Many people aren't aware how beautiful this structure is; the architectural detail in the interior would be impossible to duplicate. I especially love its meditation garden, which I hope in future will be open to the public.
This makes me happy.

Thank the Lord.

Midtown Atlanta is #4 in Country for New Office Construction-jesus.jpg

Old 06-25-2019, 08:09 PM

821 posts, read 725,927 times
Came across this. Impressive.

The Fastest-Growing Office Rents In The U.S. Are In Atlanta

Quote:
Rents at Atlanta's premier office spaces in Midtown and Buckhead have risen 14.2% since last year, breaking the $50 per SF ceiling for the first time. That puts Atlanta's dot on a propitious global map: The two submarkets charted the fastest rent increases of any U.S. city in the past year, according to a recent CBRE study. Atlanta experienced the sixth-fastest rent growth of all major global office markets.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Hopefully soon. That place is so bad. I'm embarrassed when people recommend it to out of town foodies.
Why would someone recommend the Variety to a foodie??? Foodies hate everything...the Varisty would never make the cut!

Quote:
A community that is consistently highrise can be just as dull as one that is lowrise; it fact it can at times be oppressive and dehumanizing IMO.
Agree with this. NYC is the epicenter of my career. I don't live in NYC. I don't like it.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Agree with this. NYC is the epicenter of my career. I don't live in NYC. I don't like it.
Totally agree. I love NY, and enjoy visiting - but I have zero desire to live there. I could make a LOT more there, but no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta