Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:35 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Think of it this way: if that's what it takes to get the transportation conversation started, what's the harm?

That's what segues are for, right?
And if it looks like trash, people will treat it like trash. Somebody has to be concerned about these things or they never get done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And if it looks like trash, people will treat it like trash. Somebody has to be concerned about these things or they never get done.
Are the gantries really trash though?

Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Are the gantries really trash though?
They're not horrible, just cluttersome in areas where the toll lanes are currently installed. Some are a bit old and a few are a bit lopsided but It's a highway... I dont ride them for the scenic view.

I personally would much rather see them install street illumination rather than correcting every last gantry in the metro.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:10 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
They're not horrible, just cluttersome in areas where the toll lanes are currently installed. Some are a bit old and a few are a bit lopsided but It's a highway... I dont ride them for the scenic view.

I personally would much rather see them install street illumination rather than correcting every last gantry in the metro.
They have lights. Its just that the local communities pay the bill and refuse to.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:26 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They have lights. Its just that the local communities pay the bill and refuse to.
only places outside of I-285 that have them are Cobb (which haven't been illuminated in years) and Gwinnett (which end after passing GA-316, They need to be extended to Mall of GA at the minimum given traffic has significantly increased up that node.)

East, South and West Atlanta metro are left in the dark.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:38 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
$11 + billion dollars, losses of property, negligible affect on traffic overall, no improvements to mass transit in the metro for decades and the only thing this guy is concerned about is cantilevers and gantries.
That's right.

I believe more roads should be built to keep up with the population growth.

And I want more heavy rail, but I also know that it's the not the same people or money that would fun each type of project.

Everyone is always arguing that free lanes will immediately fill up, so tolls from here on out is a reasonable way to stretch out their efficacy in providing a quicker option to get wherever you need to go.

I-85 through Gwinnett used to be quite attractive in the 90's.

The only clutter was the many billboards against the backdrop of trees.

The losses of property is being way overblown, and other states would have identified future highway corridors 20 years prior.

So what is Georgia supposed to do, suffer horrible air quality forever for some homeowner that bought property very close to freeways built in the 1960's?

This is a major city and all residents should have come to terms with actions for the greater good usurps their personal desires in the case of home ownership.

Plus, there's a difference between razing a few dozen homes and 700-800 homes. Many of those homeowners could come out better by selling to the state, especially if highway noise is bad.

But yeah, if they make all the highways look like I-85, then Atlanta won't have much beauty, and it's all ridiculous to destroy views of the sky and trees in the Southeast when it's not necessary.

People spend hours of their lives in backups through these corridors, and through Gwinnett it's not out of the question that the ugly environment could trigger depression, suicicides, or even terrorist attacks.

I know that sounds like hyperbole, but I wouldn't suggest hiring any GDOT employees to design your yard or decorate your home. If they can't see how sloppy their work is on our highways compared to other states that perfectly dot the I and cross the ts, then someone has to remind them.

In this case it's me.

I-85 access road new signage? -thanks to me, new shields on Ponce?- credit me, adjustment of overhead lane arrow sign on Sidney Marcus & Buford Hwy at Lenox Rd?- You're welcome.

With all the time y'all spend on here complaining and giving your two cents worth, you should be spending 1/4 to 1/2 the same amount of time actually contacting the agencies and effecting change. (Yes, the proper spelling in this case is Effecting even though it's used as a verb)

I can't do it all, and I chose aesthetics and trash removal as my community service focuses.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:52 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

I am as worried about the ascetics of signage on this monstrosity as I am with rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The best solution if you care about metro Atlanta is to not build this.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 PM

dur by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

This is I-85 through Durham, NC which was rebuilt about 10 years ago.

Notice the landscaping, extending use of brick for sound-walls like what's used for Raleigh's I-440 Beltline, extremely limited amount of billboards.

I'm not pushing for this level in Atlanta, but the huge chasm between this and the sloppy clutter in Atlanta could already be a liability for the metro area.

We need for them to make aesthetics more of s priority, and I had to make my case before I-285 began conversion into a clusterf*ck of ugliness.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
dur by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

This is I-85 through Durham, NC which was rebuilt about 10 years ago.

Notice the landscaping, extending use of brick for sound-walls like what's used for Raleigh's I-440 Beltline, extremely limited amount of billboards.

I'm not pushing for this level in Atlanta, but the huge chasm between this and the sloppy clutter in Atlanta could already be a liability for the metro area.

We need for them to make aesthetics more of s priority, and I had to make my case before I-285 began conversion into a clusterf*ck of ugliness.
How is anything going to grow in the medians along 285 / 400 when there is no daylight getting through?

I am all for better looking highways and drives, but step 1 is killing these projects.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Also, all the freeways here had more luxuriously wide lanes as per their original design prior to the HOV lanes added before the '96 Olympics.

The hectic and slight discomfort driving on our freeways is in part coming from at least two lanes being only 11' wide instead of the standard 12' for interstates.

That how they accommodate the 6th HOV now Express lane on I-85., by taking a foot from two inner-right side lanes.

It was much nicer before the HOV lanes were painted into existence.

-------------------

What's troubling is if you read the plans for I-285's east wall Express Lanes, it seem like they're going to be like I-85', not physically separated, and to keep the same number of regular lanes they are going to extend right side 14' outward.

That's the cheapskate solution for that side of town's residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta