Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 08:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,367,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That is a disaster for Clayton County. It takes a certain type of student to do online (ie, a minority of students).
My younger son really struggled learning from home. In fact, his experience doing chorus remotely was so poor he wants to drop it for next year.

My older son preferred remote learning.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:51 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,733,303 times
If the cases continue to increase as they currently are, we're going to start seeing the situation again down the road where hospitals will approach capacity. At that point, if it does happen, schools will have no choice but to shut down just to help save our health infrastructure and prevent otherwise preventable deaths. That was the point of the first shutdown - we have to shut down in order to maintain bed capacity and build our infrastructure. If we're going to choose not to take the preventative measures, like requiring masks, it's inevitable that it will (SHOULD) happen again. What will parents do in that case, when the state has basically focused on reopening the economy and therefore, everybody is expected to keep working - even as people are getting sick all around us - and our kids are home from school?

Even if we don't near hospital capacity, there are also concerns related to available infrastructure in schools, which I really haven't seen anybody discuss. What if multiple teachers come down with COVID and can't come to work for 2-6+ weeks, and there aren't any subs available? What if a teacher's spouse or other family member gets COVID? That teacher still won't be able to come to work. How can you maintain social distancing in schools without the necessary teaching staff? How about busses - how can kids maintain social distancing guidelines on busses without any additional financial resources for the school district, which will certainly needed greater transportation capacity if all students are returning at once? All the extra cleaning schools will need to do on a daily basis - they just had their budgets cut, so how can they afford the extra cleaning crews? Some districts have more money than others - I imagine all of this is going to be really tough on especially our rural school districts, where manpower and money are already falling short.

I agree with previous posters who are saying this is a failure of our leadership. Schools are the backbone of our economy, in the sense that without schools, parents really can't work. Most families these days don't, and can't afford to, have a stay at home parent that does not work. But our leadership is doing literally nothing to ensure that schools have what they need to reopen safely. This can't be a district by district decision - teachers live and work in different school districts. What happens if a teacher who lives in Clayton has their kids home 2-3 days a week, but that teach works in Forsyth, where they are expected to be at school everyday? Teachers might have to start quitting, and then again, you have a shortage of the workforce. What we need is either a state or regional approach. For example, all of the metro counties might want to join forces and come up with the same calendar so that situations like above don't happen. Or it needs to be done statewide, by order of the Governor. There is definitely a time for local control, but this is not one of those times.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:51 AM

2,307 posts, read 3,016,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
My younger son really struggled learning from home. In fact, his experience doing chorus remotely was so poor he wants to drop it for next year.

My older son preferred remote learning.
My teens/tweens preferred remote learning--for all the wrong reasons. . Among the many losses I count for them was the loss of mentorship by their wonderful teachers and coaches. This would be especially important for our students coming from less-wealthy families and fatherless homes, etc. They also missed out on the service component--wiping off the tables in the lunch room is a bigger lesson than anything they can learn dancing to a TikTok song while their microphone is muted.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
My teens/tweens preferred remote learning--for all the wrong reasons. . Among the many losses I count for them was the loss of mentorship by their wonderful teachers and coaches. This would be especially important for our students coming from less-wealthy families and fatherless homes, etc. They also missed out on the service component--wiping off the tables in the lunch room is a bigger lesson than anything they can learn dancing to a TikTok song while their microphone is muted.
And the social aspects of learning with peers. That can't be overlooked as well.

My older son entering high school is taking 2 virtual classes this summer, and is doing really well with them. He even got a big shout out from a teacher recently on how proactive he is.

It's going to be tough no matter how you look at it.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:44 PM

16,730 posts, read 29,703,067 times
The Case for Reopening Schools
https://www.wired.com/story/the-case...ening-schools/

Old 06-24-2020, 04:45 PM

16,730 posts, read 29,703,067 times
Many Doctors Expect Safe Return to School
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/sickk...fall-1.5616344

Old 06-24-2020, 07:11 PM

32,050 posts, read 36,975,594 times
We took in one of the grandkids this spring and were able to do the schooling, but a lot of folks wouldn't have had as much time. We actually thought it was a pretty good experience.

However, there are benefits to a formal classroom experience, especially as the kids get older. I hope a good arrangement can be worked out.

And thanks for those links, aries. Very interesting!

Old 06-25-2020, 05:55 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,420,612 times
Honestly, it seems more like people are just ready to get their kids out of the house more than anything.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:27 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,153,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Honestly, it seems more like people are just ready to get their kids out of the house more than anything.
When parents view schools as glorified daycare, it's not surprising.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Locked in the house for months? It’s for their best interests to socialize and learn.

How old are your kids again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta