Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 08:40 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times

Advertisements

If I had a child in school with an IEP, I would certainly argue that he/she is not getting a FAPE. Services such as PT,OT and SLP (speech and language) are very difficult to do online. These are the kids that are going to suffer, along with those who do not have parents to supervise and help.

The students who thrive with virtual classes should continue and they are fortunate to have that option.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
If I had a child in school with an IEP, I would certainly argue that he/she is not getting a FAPE. Services such as PT,OT and SLP (speech and language) are very difficult to do online. These are the kids that are going to suffer, along with those who do not have parents to supervise and help.

The students who thrive with virtual classes should continue and they are fortunate to have that option.
Hmm, something to consider. My youngest has an IEP but not for SLP/PT/OT or academics. Will have to keep this in mind.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,191 times
Cobb County announced plans today:

Subject: Cobb Schools Announces 2020-2021 School Year Decision
Reply-To: ccsd.schoolinfo@cobbk12.org

Dear Cobb Schools Family,

After months of planning and understanding how student and staff needs have changed as a result of COVID-19 closures, Superintendent Chris Ragsdale announced that Cobb Schools will open for face-to-face instruction with parents being able to choose a traditional classroom or a remote learning classroom.

This format represents the best solution which balances our two most important priorities: the health and safety of our students and staff and student learning.

In preparation for our “face-to-face plus choice" model, we will be asking you to choose the classroom environment which is best for you and your family. If your student is new to the District for the upcoming school year, they must first be registered as a CCSD student, which can be completed here. Once the school approves your registration, your ParentVUE account will automatically be activated. If you already have a student enrolled in the District but do not have an active ParentVUE account, you will need to contact your student’s school for activation.

You will be able to submit your choice beginning on July 2nd but no later than July 10 through ParentVue. Both face-to-face and remote learning options will be available for all students, in all grades K-12. If you choose remote learning, you will be asked to certify that you have access to a device, the internet, and are committed to the remote learning environment for the semester. If you choose face-to-face learning, you will also be asked if you intend for your student(s) to ride the bus.

We also will continue to work tirelessly to ensure a safe and healthy environment for our staff and our students.

Social Distancing will be enforced whenever possible.
Hand Sanitizer will be provided in multiple locations throughout schools.
Masks are encouraged on buses and in school buildings.
Daily and rigorous cleaning protocols will be followed.
Nutritious meals will continue to be served daily.
We will continue to be in regular discussion with state and public health officials as their guidance is updated. We look forward to your input and appreciate your support as we support learning for every student in Cobb County during these unpredictable times.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:54 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Cobb County announced plans today:

Subject: Cobb Schools Announces 2020-2021 School Year Decision
Reply-To: ccsd.schoolinfo@cobbk12.org

Dear Cobb Schools Family,

After months of planning and understanding how student and staff needs have changed as a result of COVID-19 closures, Superintendent Chris Ragsdale announced that Cobb Schools will open for face-to-face instruction with parents being able to choose a traditional classroom or a remote learning classroom.

This format represents the best solution which balances our two most important priorities: the health and safety of our students and staff and student learning.

In preparation for our “face-to-face plus choice" model, we will be asking you to choose the classroom environment which is best for you and your family. If your student is new to the District for the upcoming school year, they must first be registered as a CCSD student, which can be completed here. Once the school approves your registration, your ParentVUE account will automatically be activated. If you already have a student enrolled in the District but do not have an active ParentVUE account, you will need to contact your student’s school for activation.

You will be able to submit your choice beginning on July 2nd but no later than July 10 through ParentVue. Both face-to-face and remote learning options will be available for all students, in all grades K-12. If you choose remote learning, you will be asked to certify that you have access to a device, the internet, and are committed to the remote learning environment for the semester. If you choose face-to-face learning, you will also be asked if you intend for your student(s) to ride the bus.

We also will continue to work tirelessly to ensure a safe and healthy environment for our staff and our students.

Social Distancing will be enforced whenever possible.
Hand Sanitizer will be provided in multiple locations throughout schools.
Masks are encouraged on buses and in school buildings.
Daily and rigorous cleaning protocols will be followed.
Nutritious meals will continue to be served daily.
We will continue to be in regular discussion with state and public health officials as their guidance is updated. We look forward to your input and appreciate your support as we support learning for every student in Cobb County during these unpredictable times.
My kids are in Cobb, and I was happy with their solution. I don't envy the position the leadership team was in, trying to please all parents and family. COVID aside, this thread is proving that different people prefer different learning styles, so now we have the choice.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
My kids are in Cobb, and I was happy with their solution. I don't envy the position the leadership team was in, trying to please all parents and family. COVID aside, this thread is proving that different people prefer different learning styles, so now we have the choice.
It does seem to be a rational solution.

Virus aside though, unless the child is an older teenager I'm not sure remote learning is the answer. For younger students it's essentially home schooling.

And it doesn't seem that there's a "changed our mind" option say a month in.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:01 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Seems relevant to this discussion....

Most of the current research seems to indicate COVID-19 is not spread by touching surfaces nearly as much as previously thought. Similarly, it does not seem to spread easily in outdoor settings.

Where is appears to spread quickly and easily is in indoor settings where people are around others for 15 minutes or more. It's especially bad in rooms with poor ventilation.

Maybe it's just me... but I'd be a lot more comfortable with a requirement that all teachers wear masks, desks be set apart 6 feet... and improvements made to HVAC systems that include better ventilation and ultraviolet lights in the ductwork. HEPA filters in each classroom probably also isn't a bad idea. Sanitizing things is pretty silly since they can become tainted again the moment a COVID droplet drops on them, and people are unlikely to get sick that way, anyway.

Of course... this could all change before school starts. I think it's too early to be announcing any plans.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Of course... this could all change before school starts. I think it's too early to be announcing any plans.
Actually with a bit more than a month to go it's exactly when to be announcing it. Parents need to plan for either alternate days with kids home, especially 2-parent working families where one or both need to actually leave home for work.

What won't cut it is letting parents know a week before school starts that their kids will be doing full time remote learning.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I keep forgetting how early school starts these days.

Maybe they should delay it until the end of August. That would be a start.

Old 06-25-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I keep forgetting how early school starts these days.

Maybe they should delay it until the end of August. That would be a start.
August 10th in Fulton. Delaying on the front end is actually worse in my view - more likely to get some in-class days done before flu season hits if you start early.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:08 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
Quote:
Seems relevant to this discussion....

Most of the current research seems to indicate COVID-19 is not spread by touching surfaces nearly as much as previously thought. Similarly, it does not seem to spread easily in outdoor settings.

Where is appears to spread quickly and easily is in indoor settings where people are around others for 15 minutes or more. It's especially bad in rooms with poor ventilation.

Maybe it's just me... but I'd be a lot more comfortable with a requirement that all teachers wear masks, desks be set apart 6 feet... and improvements made to HVAC systems that include better ventilation and ultraviolet lights in the ductwork. HEPA filters in each classroom probably also isn't a bad idea. Sanitizing things is pretty silly since they can become tainted again the moment a COVID droplet drops on them, and people are unlikely to get sick that way, anyway.

Yes - fully agree. Masks NEED to be required given what we know now. The only reason they are not is because of politics, which is truly unfortunate. The problem is what I brought up earlier, that is still not be acknowledged by people. We can talk and talk and talk about what is best, but without leadership at the state level, or even the regional level, schools are going to end up closing again. Without social distancing happening BOTH outside and inside school, people are going to get sick. Although right now children don't seem to be as affected by COVID, their teachers and teacher's families certainly are. What happens when teachers start calling out because they are sick and there is nobody left to replace them? Social distancing certainly won't happen. Cobb also said "social distancing where possible" - what does that mean? Where is it possible? I'm assuming if all students are back and they maintained the same teaching staff, class sizes will still be in the 20-30 range, which means for most, if not all, of the day, there will not be social distancing. School buses - no social distancing there without a bigger transportation budget.

This isn't going to go well. I fully understand that children need to be in school for many reasons, including access to food, social interaction, more effective learning, the ability to get out of an abusive household, etc. etc. There are many creative ways to ensure students still have an effective education that balances the health of the community during a pandemic. Community schools have been started in other countries, for example, to maintain social distancing and still have a quality educator teaching children for the day. We just need the leadership to begin implementing such creative ideas. We have become lazy and complacent as a society, and it's not going to have a good outcome - already, the outcome in our country isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta