Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Receiving govt assistance shouldnt be looked at as being "lucky" or "blessed". It should be looked at and shunned as someone who I and ALL the other hard working tax payers have to pay for. The stigma that section 8, food stamps and welfare have are rightfully deserved and should act as a deterent from someone having to stick their hands out and ask for it in the first place. Bottomline is unless you are an invalid or seriously disabled you are STEALING from the rest of us! Your poor life choices are NOT my problem or anyone elses.
Please know this...you and I have 'disagreed' here before, and generally have a decent 'rapport' with each other...I've been wrong about some stuff, and admitted it, and so have you, so understand what I'm about to say comes with the utmost respect...

Understand also, that I am NOT 'Captain Catfish: Defender Of The Black Universe'...but when I feel someone is slighting black folk unfairly, be it here in the Atlanta forum, or in my own Ohio forum, or maybe any other forum for that matter, then I will most definitely speak out, as politely and respectfully as I can (LOL---yeah, I know, some of my rebuttals HAVE been kinda hot-headed)---which is what I'm doing here...

First off, how do you know if that poster has made 'poor life choices'? Didn't she state the she is a 'working mom, with a daughter about to go to college?'...how does that status equate to 'poor life choices'?

Further, quiet as it's kept, EVERYONE who is receiving some form of assistance is not 'stealing'...yeah, there are some a**holes out there who are grinning and skinning and gaming the system, and the tragic part of THAT is, they're the ones who are poster children for that stigma you advertise...NOT the ones who legitimately may need that assistance, and who are legitimately trying to raise themselves to one day COME OFF OF said assistance, so theirs won't be among the 'hands always sticking out' that you spoke of...they try to stay off the radar, and lead lives of something approaching quiet dignity, but we can't see them because everybody is busy (rightfully) demonizing the 'thieves and gamers'...

Also, I myself happen to be one of those 'hard-working taxpayers' you talk about...been working and supporting myself since 1975, a year after I graduated high school...the ONLY assistance I ever applied for and was on, was 6 months worth of unemployment benefits back in 1981...and even then, I observed folk exactly like you are railing about---bragging about how they were 'running a game' on the system, and making it that much harder for people who wanted to do without assistance to escape the stereotypes and labels...

So, my purpose here today was to admonish you, albeit briefly, about the dangers of casting aspersions on 'people on assistance', because not all of them are the thieving, scheming sons and daughters of Satan that you and others want to make them out to be...they work hard and even pay taxes, just like you and I do, but they may need those food stamps, or 'welfare', or even section 8 vouchers, to make their ends meet...NOT to be an ongong burden on society...I hope you and I can 'agree to disagree' as we so often do, because I enjoy the fact that we can dialogue without tossing figurative 'bricks' at each other...

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
BS. If you've paid into the system, and you're only getting temporary assistance, it's not stealing. It's only stealing if you're abusing the system and have no intention of rising yourself to a level where you no longer need, and no longer accept the assistance.
How do you know who is excepting it on a temporary basis and who is abusing the system???? This is the problem, YOU DON'T. There is NO system in place currently to weed out the abusers from the people that are down on their luck. Until such a system exist then I will see all public assistance in a negative light.

I also say that drug testing should be a requirement to receive ONE dime of public assistance.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Not only that but section 8 completely devalues real estate. Meaning that all around you who are not Section 8 are losing on their investment.
Exactly right, out of all the public assistance programs out there section 8 is far and away the most destructive to the rest of the homeowners in the area.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
How do you know who is excepting it on a temporary basis and who is abusing the system???? This is the problem, YOU DON'T. There is NO system in place currently to weed out the abusers from the people that are down on their luck. Until such a system exist then I will see all public assistance in a negative light.

I also say that drug testing should be a requirement to receive ONE dime of public assistance.
This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. In fact, I clearly stated that the abusers of the system ARE a problem.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Please know this...you and I have 'disagreed' here before, and generally have a decent 'rapport' with each other...I've been wrong about some stuff, and admitted it, and so have you, so understand what I'm about to say comes with the utmost respect...

Understand also, that I am NOT 'Captain Catfish: Defender Of The Black Universe'...but when I feel someone is slighting black folk unfairly, be it here in the Atlanta forum, or in my own Ohio forum, or maybe any other forum for that matter, then I will most definitely speak out, as politely and respectfully as I can (LOL---yeah, I know, some of my rebuttals HAVE been kinda hot-headed)---which is what I'm doing here...

First off, how do you know if that poster has made 'poor life choices'? Didn't she state the she is a 'working mom, with a daughter about to go to college?'...how does that status equate to 'poor life choices'?

Further, quiet as it's kept, EVERYONE who is receiving some form of assistance is not 'stealing'...yeah, there are some a**holes out there who are grinning and skinning and gaming the system, and the tragic part of THAT is, they're the ones who are poster children for that stigma you advertise...NOT the ones who legitimately may need that assistance, and who are legitimately trying to raise themselves to one day COME OFF OF said assistance, so theirs won't be among the 'hands always sticking out' that you spoke of...they try to stay off the radar, and lead lives of something approaching quiet dignity, but we can't see them because everybody is busy (rightfully) demonizing the 'thieves and gamers'...

Also, I myself happen to be one of those 'hard-working taxpayers' you talk about...been working and supporting myself since 1975, a year after I graduated high school...the ONLY assistance I ever applied for and was on, was 6 months worth of unemployment benefits back in 1981...and even then, I observed folk exactly like you are railing about---bragging about how they were 'running a game' on the system, and making it that much harder for people who wanted to do without assistance to escape the stereotypes and labels...

So, my purpose here today was to admonish you, albeit briefly, about the dangers of casting aspersions on 'people on assistance', because not all of them are the thieving, scheming sons and daughters of Satan that you and others want to make them out to be...they work hard and even pay taxes, just like you and I do, but they may need those food stamps, or 'welfare', or even section 8 vouchers, to make their ends meet...NOT to be an ongong burden on society...I hope you and I can 'agree to disagree' as we so often do, because I enjoy the fact that we can dialogue without tossing figurative 'bricks' at each other...
Thanks Captain, once you again you make a very reasoned, compassioniate response and that is what I respect most about our disagreements. The one issue I will take with you have said is what I just said to another poster who disagreed with my take on receiving section 8. How do you know who is in need of the assistance and who is a leech gaming the system? The answer is you don't and neither do I. There is NO system in place to weed out the bottomfeeders that take advantage of public assistance which is absurb. Why pour billions or possibly trillions into such programs with NO accountability? It make NO sense to me and millions of other Americans. Until accountability is taken into ALL situations where someone is receiving public assistance it will be looked at negatively by the majority of Americans.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. In fact, I clearly stated that the abusers of the system ARE a problem.
"BS. If you've paid into the system, and you're only getting temporary assistance, it's not stealing. It's only stealing if you're abusing the system and have no intention of rising yourself to a level where you no longer need, and no longer accept the assistance."

Please tell me how my response to your original reply had nothing to do with you said? You called BS on my response saying if you paid in you should access to it and I called BS saying how do YOU or anyone else know who deserves it or not. Its hypocritical to call out the abusers of the system and then applaud the ones asking for assistance because they paid into it when NONE of us have any idea who is legit and who is a leech.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
JPD

Quote:
"BS. If you've paid into the system, and you're only getting temporary assistance, it's not stealing. It's only stealing if you're abusing the system and have no intention of rising yourself to a level where you no longer need, and no longer accept the assistance."

Please tell me how my response to your original reply had nothing to do with you said? You called BS on my response saying if you paid in you should access to it and I called BS saying how do YOU or anyone else know who deserves it or not. Its hypocritical to call out the abusers of the system and then applaud the ones asking for assistance because they paid into it when NONE of us have any idea who is legit and who is a leech.
You don't have to be a genius to know that my first sentence was referring to people with a legitimate need for assistance.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM

479 posts, read 703,243 times
Quote:
BS. If you've paid into the system, and you're only getting temporary assistance, it's not stealing. It's only stealing if you're abusing the system and have no intention of rising yourself to a level where you no longer need, and no longer accept the assistance.
What makes you think they have "paid into the system"? Those collecting Social Security and Medicare at age 65 have paid into it. People getting freebies at age 17 because they just had their first (second/third?) out of wedlock child....somehow I STRONGLY doubt they have ever paid a dime into "the system".

And how do you know what their intentions are? Stating so doesnt make it so.

If ever the majority of people start believing its perfectly fine to live off govt largesse, the US will be no more. We will be done as a viable nation.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
What makes you think they have "paid into the system"? Those collecting Social Security and Medicare at age 65 have paid into it. People getting freebies at age 17 because they just had their first (second/third?) out of wedlock child....somehow I STRONGLY doubt they have ever paid a dime into "the system".

If ever the majority of people start believing its perfectly fine to live off govt largesse, the US will be no more. We will be done as a viable nation.
Very well said, it's all about the accountability which our govt has shown they surely lack in every aspect of govt assistance.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post

Do you know what the word "If" means? I said IF they paid in. Slow down and re-read what I wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta