Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 08:22 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
If a black mecca means superficiality and pretending, then yes I hope Atlanta does lose that title. What determines a mecca? When a core group of a predominately black ran city reaches the rulers level in the spiritual world with influence and impact, otherwise, you are living off borrowed money from the people who are ruling demonstrating a culture that is really one-sided and not fully developed. I don't see any city obtaining that level where blacks are the majority and a true mecca with the exception of Lagos one day.

A true will mecca has the ability to make its own choices, without the fear of losing support because you are not pimping another person's image or release a spirit where one person prospers while those that surround them are dwarfs in the marketplace.
Agree, a black mecca in America does not truly exist. It makes for good marketing and what not and Atlanta metro is definitely one of the best places for Black people to live in this country but mecca it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 12:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Agree, a black mecca in America does not truly exist. It makes for good marketing and what not and Atlanta metro is definitely one of the best places for Black people to live in this country but mecca it is not.
Of course it is. The definition of a mecca is "a place regarded as a center for a specified group, activity, or interest." Atlanta fits the bill. "Mecca" does not mean, nor has ever meant, "utopia."

Old 11-09-2020, 01:47 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Are you all crazy?

Of course this is Black American's wholly owned city.

Only Florida has a larger Black population and that's not much more than Georgia.

The Atlanta metro area's largest group by ethnicity is Black and that is expected to rise a lot higher by 2040.

In that time projected that that the metro's white population will drop from 44% today to 31% in 2040.

Atlanta is home to the 2nd Hollywood, sometimes called Black Hollywood, and that's great.

You could also argue that the fact that Atlanta's large homeless population is predominantly Black is that they come from all over the Southeast just to be in the one city where they govern and call the shots, not to mention being amongst millions of other Black Americans. I would guess that almost half of the visible homeless population came from other places, and that they aren't natives.

The West Coast's cities are also where many Western states' homeless population migrate to, SF, Portland and Seattle esepcially.

Atlanta is an attractive, relatively affordable region to live in, and that brings more and more Black Americans to Georgia everyday. You can't blame them for choosing a city with so many pluses. Opportunities abound with discrimination being mostly left in the past.

As the epicenter of Civil Rights in America, they have deep roots here and reason to belong here.

Worldwide, white populations aren't reproducing fast enough to maintain existing numbers, so they're decreasing in numbers.

The Latino population has a firm hold as they love Atlanta too, the city-loving ones at least. An equal number who prefer small town living have permanently settled in NC's plethora of small towns of all sizes.

I would love to see the day when we are all seeing others by the content of their character without labels.

Let's hope.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I can understand how one may come to feel this way, however; I also have to respectfully disagree. Not once in the uprising for Black Americans from the freedom from slavery and through the equal rights movements did violence prove as the determining factor for any form of change in our circumstances, historically speaking. The people who did the most change for us, are the people who were strong in character and endured, unwilling to give in to their circumstances. These circumstances are not 'fair' but the dream is what you focus on, not the unfairness.

MLK won equal rights through Peaceful Protests. Malcolm X was for violent protesting but in the end also commended MLK's methods. Even if we succeeded in getting our point across through violence, the only thing you end up is with the other side with pent up anger, and eventually a retaliation. Its something that has to happen on both sides, and both sides have to be willing, and neither side can be forced...Otherwise it is just domination, regardless of which side.

This Nation's roots are engrained with racism, but it isn't just this nation... These issues exist everywhere...and these issues long predate the existence of Black Americans. You cannot change them through peace or violence, you can't change them through laws or even political leaders, you can only change how you react to them and how you choose to live your life by them.
Well us Gay Americans have come a long way too, and our protests were usually located at Big Pharma headquarters protesting price gouging or the 1993 March on Washington. We've gained a lot of acceptance through newer generations thinking with unjaded minds and evolved thinking.

Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero by his methods just as much as the message.

Young people today aren't influenced by the horrible segregation practices in the 20th century.

We've got to let go of hostility from past events, it's slowing our progress towards true equality.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I don't approve of how antifa / BLM handled matters in terms of rioting and looting, nor do I approve of segregation at any level (whether it be from blacks or whites) but at the same time I kinda have to say we are literally talking apples and oranges in terms of matters here... One uprising largely in response to police brutality on a national level, compared to Asians moving into Forsyth .. not quite on the same level of issues if you get my drift.
Unfortunately, this year's events are due to the incorrect belief that law enforcement nationwide is anything like a handful of bad cops, power hungry, and likely unhappy in their own lives. There is no concerted effort to profile or suppress any given population.

Mutual levels of respect towards one another is the biggest factor in how everyone's life and luck will pan out.

This year we saw the world get very angry because of an a-hole individual who was evil and was settling some personal beef with Floyd who also worked at the same nightclub for 2 years at least. They knew each other and didn't like each other.

If the media had any conscience in their presentation of events no matter what the topic is, the information would have been reported more in it local context.

As with politics today, the truth somewhere in the middle goes untold, and each side reacts with half the facts.

Altanta, which is Black American's city in terms of who belongs, whose history, and who should be calling the shots, shouldn't have been the receiver of rage about a Minneapolis loser cop.

But with too much media saturation hungry for revenue clicks, they sensationalize things to the point of the country and world going down in flames as fast as possible.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:48 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It feels like a lot of recent migration to Atlanta has been white collar urban dwellers. It also feels like a lot of the suburbs of Atlanta are diversifying with some foreign born residents and mixed race families. I wonder if there will ever come a day when we don't recognize Atlanta as the black mecca that we have for the past 30 or so years.
I think I will continue to be but there's growing competition in the South, specifically, Houston, Dallas/FW and Charlotte. Charlotte will be more challenged because the economy is not as diverse to draw more newcomers. People forget Texas has the largest black population of any state in the Union though not the largest percentage and has quite of few african-americans living in rural areas who may also move to the big cities.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:41 AM

195 posts, read 194,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Are you all crazy?

Of course this is Black American's wholly owned city.

Only Florida has a larger Black population and that's not much more than Georgia.

The Atlanta metro area's largest group by ethnicity is Black and that is expected to rise a lot higher by 2040.

In that time projected that that the metro's white population will drop from 44% today to 31% in 2040.

Atlanta is home to the 2nd Hollywood, sometimes called Black Hollywood, and that's great.

You could also argue that the fact that Atlanta's large homeless population is predominantly Black is that they come from all over the Southeast just to be in the one city where they govern and call the shots, not to mention being amongst millions of other Black Americans. I would guess that almost half of the visible homeless population came from other places, and that they aren't natives.

The West Coast's cities are also where many Western states' homeless population migrate to, SF, Portland and Seattle esepcially.

Atlanta is an attractive, relatively affordable region to live in, and that brings more and more Black Americans to Georgia everyday. You can't blame them for choosing a city with so many pluses. Opportunities abound with discrimination being mostly left in the past.

As the epicenter of Civil Rights in America, they have deep roots here and reason to belong here.

Worldwide, white populations aren't reproducing fast enough to maintain existing numbers, so they're decreasing in numbers.

The Latino population has a firm hold as they love Atlanta too, the city-loving ones at least. An equal number who prefer small town living have permanently settled in NC's plethora of small towns of all sizes.

I would love to see the day when we are all seeing others by the content of their character without labels.

Let's hope.
If that happens. "Which is still a big if" because projections aren't always accurate as we know. It probably won't just be from Black's moving to the ATL. Also from Hispanics Pureto Rican's and Mexicans, Asians, Vietnamese, Thai Koreans, and Asians. Also don't underestimate the degree of mixed race couples having kids. It won't just be from blacks is my point.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:33 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course it is. The definition of a mecca is "a place regarded as a center for a specified group, activity, or interest." Atlanta fits the bill. "Mecca" does not mean, nor has ever meant, "utopia."
Yeah in that case a lot of cities fit that bill.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:18 AM

25 posts, read 32,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It feels like a lot of recent migration to Atlanta has been white collar urban dwellers. It also feels like a lot of the suburbs of Atlanta are diversifying with some foreign born residents and mixed race families. I wonder if there will ever come a day when we don't recognize Atlanta as the black mecca that we have for the past 30 or so years.

I hope you're right, we don't need anymore "segregation" LOL

Old 11-12-2020, 08:52 AM

25 posts, read 32,847 times
I lived in ATL once, so did my sibling, a surgeon...neither one of us would ever move to ATL again for a variety of reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta