Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2020, 03:48 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

It feels like a lot of recent migration to Atlanta has been white collar urban dwellers. It also feels like a lot of the suburbs of Atlanta are diversifying with some foreign born residents and mixed race families. I wonder if there will ever come a day when we don't recognize Atlanta as the black mecca that we have for the past 30 or so years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 04:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
I definitely think so. It’s barely holding on to 50% within the city limits. Hasn’t really been a black mecca in my opinion for 10 years or so. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the city dip below 50% on the next census.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:31 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Do people even really still call it that these days?

Old 11-05-2020, 05:31 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
African-Americans have such a high-profile presence in the city (Atlanta proper) in so many various ways (with business, government, education, entertainment, etc.) that even if/when the Black population falls below 50 percent, that Atlanta’s long-held reputation as a leading ‘Black Mecca’ or the leading ‘Black Mecca’ is most likely to continue to persist at a high level.

The high concentration and highly visible presence of African-Americans in, around and throughout much (if not most) of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area and region, as well as Atlanta’s location in the Eastern U.S. within driving/short-moderate flying distance of multiple large eastern and Sun Belt metropolises (the Northeastern Megalopolis, the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley, South Florida, the Carolinas, Texas), and Atlanta’s high profile as an emerging international multimedia entertainment production hub (with many high-profile African-Americans, like Tyler Perry, in highly visible prominent and leadership roles) also likely means that both the city and larger greater metropolitan area is likely to continue to be considered to be a leading (if not THE leading) ‘Black Mecca’ for the foreseeable future.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:13 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
The title has evolved to take on more of a metropolitan connotation but even so, the Black population within the city dropping under 50% won't erase its civil rights legacy, its Black political legacy, the CAU, its Black business class, the music/arts culture, etc. that were responsible for that nickname coming into being. Boston stopped being majority Irish a long time ago but it is still thought of as being the premiere city associated with that group for similar reasons.

Also, seeing how this pandemic is affecting urban living trends, I fully expect to see a slowdown of the current demographic trend for at least a year or two.

Old 11-06-2020, 04:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Time for metro Atlanta to embrace even greater diversity. So many new cultures coming to the area is only a good thing. Look at a place like Forsyth County and how it’s changed over the past 10 years.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:15 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,458 times
No. It was never just defined by "the majority of people who live here are Black." If it's not a present label, it will become a historic label. Simple as that.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
No. It was never just defined by "the majority of people who live here are Black." If it's not a present label, it will become a historic label. Simple as that.
Yeah I mean Detroit is mostly black and I don't see people calling a black mecca. Right now, Atlanta is definitely the center of African American culture and entertainment. I think calling it a "black mecca" is a bit outdated now. I don't think there's a black mecca in America.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:21 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Atlanta being a black mecca is based on the fact that the leadership makeup in the city and immediate surrounding suburbs is predominately African-America, the influence blacks in Atlanta have had on pop culture and also the fact that Metro Atlanta has the largest concentration of well-off African-Americans of any city, at least on a percentage basis and when adjusted for COL.

While neither of those things are expected to change any time soon, it is true that Atlanta is no longer the only shining house on the hill for black people it was in the 90s, 2000s and part of the 2010s. You now have up & comers like Houston, Dallas and Charlotte where blacks have increasingly more political/cultural influence and are also excelling economically.

Last edited by citidata18; 11-06-2020 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-06-2020, 07:29 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah I mean Detroit is mostly black and I don't see people calling a black mecca.
Detroit has since fallen off big time (thanks largely to the collapse of the Auto Industry), but for a time from the 60s to the 90s, Detroit was definitely up there as a popular destination for black people and an influential place for black culture.

And even today, it's still no slouch for black people as it has the top 10 largest concentration of middle class / wealthy African-Americans in the country and aside from the Mayor's office, blacks still make up most of the political leadership in the city, county and immediate surrounding suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta