Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 04:11 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times

Advertisements

As names roll out, their names are:

Julie Park (50s)
Heong Jeong Park (70s)
Delaina Ashley Yaun, 33,
Paul Andre Michels, 54,
Xiaojie Tan, 49,
Daoyou Feng, 44.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:33 PM

447 posts, read 321,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
What surprised me was the head of the policemen did the job of the lawyer for the suspect, claiming it might not be a racial/hate crime at this early stage, and he is black.

This reminds me of what happened this time last year when hundreds of Asian people stood up for BLM.

The suspect said he was to stop his 'sex addiction', so he chose an Asian spa shop which itself contains strong racial element.
Sorry I made a mistake. That policeman is white not black. I saw the words and then I saw a picture showing a black policeman was talking then I matched the words to the wrong person.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:25 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
Many reporters are noting how US reporting and Korean reporting are differing in context, with US reporters not sharing that a witness already stated to police that this white supremacist yelled "kill all the Asians."
https://www.chosun.com/international...JWMQ4HGRZGOG4/. Seems Austin's KXAN is one of the first in our country to add this to print: https://www.kxan.com/news/atlanta-sh...nt-in-america/.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:02 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Many reporters are noting how US reporting and Korean reporting are differing in context, with US reporters not sharing that a witness already stated to police that this white supremacist yelled "kill all the Asians."
https://www.chosun.com/international...JWMQ4HGRZGOG4/. Seems Austin's KXAN is one of the first in our country to add this to print: https://www.kxan.com/news/atlanta-sh...nt-in-america/.
Unfortunately it is a very sad time in America.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
This is a tragedy looking for an agenda unfortunately, thus missing the true root cause - mental illness for one, violence against sex workers for another, maybe we can add human trafficking to it. Otherwise, we solve nothing.

So far it looks like this nutcase was not targeting asians, but sex workers in some strange sex-obsession solution. The illicit message parlor industry is populated by asian female sex workers primarily, mostly immigrants. That's just a sad fact of life. Sex workers are always targets of violence and if one has an agenda, it should be the protection of sex workers. If he wanted to target Asians he could have simply opened up right on the streets Chamblee (Chambodia) in the Atlanta metro area and have no shortage of targets.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:14 AM

8,348 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Condolences to all the victims. This is truly a terrible tragedy.

As for motive, lets let the dust settle. Everyone already has a motive in mind when stuff like this happens, but lets let things pan out.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:28 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Why are so many of the victims Korean?

Old 03-18-2021, 10:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why are so many of the victims Korean?
I explained some of it in my above post. The massage parlor industry is one common to the Asia. It's partially a cultural thing as this form of prostitution is very common and somewhat socially accepted in Asia - the massage with "happy ending". Some practice their trade out of barbershops! But also you have the illicit human trafficking component, Korean organized crime, that deals with young poor female Koreans with promises of "move to American to become rich", they have cornered that illicit market. It's an unsavory underground world.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:42 AM

337 posts, read 311,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This is a tragedy looking for an agenda unfortunately, thus missing the true root cause - mental illness for one, violence against sex workers for another, maybe we can add human trafficking to it. Otherwise, we solve nothing.

So far it looks like this nutcase was not targeting asians, but sex workers in some strange sex-obsession solution. The illicit message parlor industry is populated by asian female sex workers primarily, mostly immigrants. That's just a sad fact of life. Sex workers are always targets of violence and if one has an agenda, it should be the protection of sex workers. If he wanted to target Asians he could have simply opened up right on the streets Chamblee (Chambodia) in the Atlanta metro area and have no shortage of targets.
Well said.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
From what I read, he posted some very negative things about Chinese people and China on his Facebook just the day before he did the shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta