Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 19,393 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old white, female single teacher looking for a home. I teach in south Clayton County, but want to live within 15-20 mins from downtown/midtown so I can still have a social life in other words, I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN HENRY, CLAYTON, COWETA, OR FAYETTE counties, and probably not too far north (no north fulton) west (no paulding), or east (no rockdale). I still love going out and being part of the singles bar/club scene, but sick of apartment living and just want my own four walls! I want to own my own home, but it seems that south fulton is my only option in terms of price and location (I'm looking for homes under 150k - and like the idea of owning newly built townhome or SFH). I really really really like the Camp Creek area, but don't want to be the only white person there. I work in a predominantly black environment and have many black friends/acquaintances, so I don't want to be somewhere entirely whitebread either. Any ideas? Are black people going to think I'm weird for living off Camp Creek? Should I seriously look elsewhere? Smyrna? Mabelton? Decatur? By the way, I'm originally from Detroit and pretty liberal and would appreciate being around other northern transplants (ie not heavily rednecky - no offense to anyone).

Thanks again and I hope that this thread doesn't offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 PM

39 posts, read 152,014 times
Default Camp Creek?

What about Decatur/Kirkwood/East Lake (easy reverse 30 minute commute to S Fulton area if you take backroads), or even historic College Park or East Point? I think they are much more interesting neighborhoods and have a lot more charm than the areas around Camp Creek, not to mention the terrible traffic and crime that I have heard a lot about.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:43 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
Lightbulb Pardon me I had to laugh at that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
What about Decatur/Kirkwood/East Lake (easy reverse 30 minute commute to S Fulton area if you take backroads), or even historic College Park or East Point? I think they are much more interesting neighborhoods and have a lot more charm than the areas around Camp Creek, not to mention the terrible traffic and crime that I have heard a lot about.
I had to laugh at the quote above...The Camp Creek area does not have terrible crime...I own a newer rental property in the Camp Creek area and attend neighborhood meetings and no mention of the "terrible" crime your mentioning.

I seriously doubt that The OP will be able to find a nice home in a desirable areas of Decatur/Kirwood/East Lake for under 150K.

It's true that the Historic College Park & East Point have more charm and because they are older neighborhoods with the historic downtowns/direct Marta Rail access and older buildings/housing stock but you can have a bigger house/newer home (If that's what you prefer) with MORE amenities (Camp Creek Market Place) directly at your doorstep if you live in the Camp Creek area.

I have seen plenty of white people shopping in the Camp Creek Marketplace and other races as welll (Probably 65% Black, 25% White, 10% Asian/Hispanic). Mostly everyone is a transplant so you won't run into anyone not liking you because your white. The community is upper-middle class so these are people who are cultured, experienced in life who accept divesity. Most educated black people(Mostly people who populate this particular area) don't care if your yellow, green or blue, they just wan't good neighbors and schools and a good life like everyone else.

To sum it up...I think you will be fine! Come by and check it out on a weekend, it's amazing how the place is built up now .

Old 06-14-2008, 09:28 AM

39 posts, read 152,014 times
Default camp creek crime

My comment about the crime is coming from several friends who moved into "nice" condos/gated communities in the area and have been dealing with crime that they weren't expecting, one friend to the point of moving out after a shooting in her complex (casings on the breezeway in front of her place). The retail is great over there, but traffic/congestion can be an issue. I guess I just prefer the older areas with cute bungalows/etc.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 AM

21 posts, read 90,306 times
Default Moving to Camp Creek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia313 View Post
I am a 26 year old white, female single teacher looking for a home. I teach in south Clayton County, but want to live within 15-20 mins from downtown/midtown so I can still have a social life in other words, I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN HENRY, CLAYTON, COWETA, OR FAYETTE counties, and probably not too far north (no north fulton) west (no paulding), or east (no rockdale). I still love going out and being part of the singles bar/club scene, but sick of apartment living and just want my own four walls! I want to own my own home, but it seems that south fulton is my only option in terms of price and location (I'm looking for homes under 150k - and like the idea of owning newly built townhome or SFH). I really really really like the Camp Creek area, but don't want to be the only white person there. I work in a predominantly black environment and have many black friends/acquaintances, so I don't want to be somewhere entirely whitebread either. Any ideas? Are black people going to think I'm weird for living off Camp Creek? Should I seriously look elsewhere? Smyrna? Mabelton? Decatur? By the way, I'm originally from Detroit and pretty liberal and would appreciate being around other northern transplants (ie not heavily rednecky - no offense to anyone).

Hello,
I am an African American female and moved here from Michigan as well. When you think about moving into ANY area, consider your reasons pros and cons. Do not worry about what others would think. The Decatur area has a nice mix of different races as well as classes and most of it has public transportation. May God bless you and remember to be true to self first!

Old 06-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
My comment about the crime is coming from several friends who moved into "nice" condos/gated communities in the area and have been dealing with crime that they weren't expecting, one friend to the point of moving out after a shooting in her complex (casings on the breezeway in front of her place). The retail is great over there, but traffic/congestion can be an issue. I guess I just prefer the older areas with cute bungalows/etc.
Those "condos" are apartments and all types of stuff like you mentioned goes on in many apartments everywhere...even in Buckhead. That's the reality of apartment living unfortunately where you always have a mixed bag. That's the case with living in Urban areas in major cities.

However the single family housing in the Camp Creek Area hasn't had any issues from what I understand. I love the historic areas of College Park & East Point as well and they offer an older housing stock that some people would consider more "charming" and direct Marta access which is a plus. You cannot go wrong with either choice.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:30 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,957 times
I have quite a few friends living in the camp creek area in the newer developments/townhomes. The area is pretty straight as I can tell - not many stragglers, on the verge of big development, and affordable still.

You'll have trouble with the nicer properties in east lake/decatur on your budget - even with the not so nice ones. I know, I live in east lake and I think you'd want to add another hundred to your number at least.

Check it out, and don't worry about being the only white person or whatever, it's not the case anyway. I'm Indian, never worried about being the only Indian in east lake/unincorporated dekalb and never worried about the race of my neighbors as long as they were good people. Trust me, they aren't going to think "hey, look at this whitey that showed up in our part of town.."

That's fearmongering at best. Good luck to you.

-VJ

Old 06-14-2008, 03:11 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Quote:

There are a few new townhome communities in S. Fulton county under $150K.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:34 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
I'm actually surprissed the O/P hasn't been called a 'racist'. I'm guessing b/c she offered an area including 'others'.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2008, 03:47 AM

17 posts, read 100,798 times
Quote:

I would definitely look at Smryna/Vinings as the first choice. That area is pretty much right on 285 and the traffic going towards ClayCo is against the main rush hour flow. You can probably get to anywhere in ClayCo in 30 mins. The Camp Creek area is pretty nice, but is still lacking a lot of amenities. I'm only 24, and I can remember when this area was a just a forest between Fulton Ind and the airport. Nevertheless, it has come a long ways, but besides the "Marketplace", there's not much else going on there. I'm not a fan of airplane noise either.. The Smyrna area offers quick access to downtown as well as the Cumberland Mall area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta