Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,478 times

Advertisements

When do you like to run? any good routes you love in Atlanta?

In the summer, I usually try to hit the early morning, cooler than in the evening, better air quality too.

But i love to run up and down Peachtree or the Decatur to EAV nieghborhoods early in the morning in the winter....best time!! leaves are off the trees so there is a longer vista in places, and I love the cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Back when I was running more often (maybe 50-60 mpw) I was living in Smyrna/Mableton and used to hit up the Silver Comet pretty regularly. During summer marathon training I would do my long runs at 4am in total darkness, but the trail is so flat and predictable you could just coast and not worry about it. It was nice coming back east with the sun rising in front of you, with all the trees.

Now I am much more scaled back and keep it to 3-7 milers in my new area of Dunwoody. The running is really good around here - my favorite course is a 7 miler that takes me to the Island Ford Park of the Chattahoochee (2.5 miles to get there) and I can run along the river, then come back. Other choices all involve neighborhoods, but I usually try to work in the Dunwoody Nature Park just to mix it up and get under some trees. These days I'm too lazy to get up early, so usually run at 7pm.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:48 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
I am a new runner. Well....I'm a re-new runner. I used to run when I was in my teens and early 20s. I was never a habitual runner, though. Back then I'd run intervals for speed for soccer, or I'd run a mile to warm up for my resistance training workout. Stuff like that.

Fast forward 12 years and I was just about sedentary as of last August. So, I started by walking to work and did that until about late March. Then I switched to riding my bike to work. And more than a month ago I decided to take up running. I only do 3 miles right now but once that gets to be really easy I want to join one of the Galloway groups to train for a half marathon or a 10K.

I think I will be a runner from here on out, though, because I am really enjoying it and I ABHOR exercising indoors. I despise working out in a gym. I DREAD treadmills! But I love to be outside.

Anyway, right now I leave my house and walk about 5 minutes towards PATH in Freedom Park. I run along the PATH trails. If I get to an intersection with a crosswalk and it's not in my favor I just go down that street so I don't have to stop running and take a bee-line route.

3 miles isn't very far and it always seems like it's time to turn around and start heading back before I'm ready.

I also like to run the streets of my neighborhood. Helps me to get to know my own neighborhood better!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:02 AM

plessthanpositive - not sure exactly what you want out of the running group, but I would look into other groups besides Galloway. Although a very accomplished runner (obviously), the Galloway or Gallowalk method can either be a Godsend or really, really annoying. Reason I bring this up is because you mention not liking having to stop when you are running (which makes sense...you never see true distance runners ever stop), however the Galloway method preaches systemic walk breaks at planned intervals which, to me, is really annoying. Just imagine being a mile into your run, really settling into a zone and , oops, time to stop and walk! I am not saying this is a bad plan, it works very well for many people, but just know that that is the fundamental methodology they preach there, and not taking the walk breaks is almost a cardinal sin to the group!

There are many running groups out there, many based out of running stores, and they will typically have different talent groups that you should be able to fit into. I personally am not a big fan of the Gallowalk method, as I hate having my flow interrupted.

Running outside is the best thing ever. I can never understand when I go to the gym to lift weights on some of those awesome spring or fall days and I see the treadmills packed.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:08 AM

spacelord, you give me too much credit!

I am still a new runner and even though I can run 3 miles right now it's tough. I mean, I don't feel all that bad while running - no burning lungs or aching chest. But LATER I am usually SORE. It's not a soreness that lasts longer than a few hours but it's still there.

I got up to 3 miles by doing intervals (Couch to 5K, though I accelerated the program a little). So the idea of working UP TO a new distance using intervals appeals to me.

But, once I could run that distance I would be done with intervals.

When I looked into the Galloway group for half-marathon they recommended that you be able to run a 5K fairly easily before joining. I got the impression that would be the shortest interval I'd run during training...but I could be mistaken.

This summer my goal is just to get to running 3 or 4 miles and have it feel like a warm-up.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:24 AM

112 posts, read 487,089 times
I don't run, but my husband is a marathoner. He runs the PATH frequently, all over the city. One nice option, to avoid loops, is to take MARTA somewhere and then run home (or back to your car). He said he really only got to know Atlanta once he started running, getting lost, and having to get back to work or home.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:26 AM

That's a great idea - taking MARTA and then running home!

Once I get up some distance I will have to try that.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:27 AM

A friend of mine went to one of their groups and they were doing stuff like 1 minute running, one minute walking! Not sure if all the groups are like that, but that would drive me nuts. I know for a fact that the longest intervals would be 7-9 minutes of running, then a minute of walking.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 AM

Hmm...well I have to look into it more.

I certainly don't want to bust my hump to run 3-4 miles easily and then stop doing that!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:47 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,757 times
It's my favorite method of exercising... as long as it's above 60 degress and below 90. I do run in cold weather, but hate getting that cold feeling in my lungs. I competed in triathlons many years ago, but now only run for the benefit of it. I don't even get a kick out of races anymore since it's sort of a been there, done that thingy.

Anyway, I used to own a condo close to the Cochran Shoals trails at the river in Cobb Co. (just outside 285 and Powers Ferry). I can't tell you how much I miss that place. You can do more than the 3 mile loop trail by running off into the woods. I loved feeling like I was in the wilderness even though it's part of the city. Same goes for the area at Akers Mill.

Now I live in Scottdale and I was actually a little fearful of running outside my subdivision for the first year I lived here. Now I run into somewhat scary neighborhoods and get some weird looks (only one negative comment, though). I do have a decent run that party goes on the PATH and then cuts through a pretty side street near Avondale Middle School. And when I'm up for a longer run I jog around the lake in Avondale Estates. Nice run.

I'll second how running can help a person learn about where they live. I've seen places and streets I'd never have noticed if I only stayed in my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta