Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:27 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have posted a call for a more consolidated approach like Greater London as well, but see it more as a combining of all of Fulton and Dekalb and then boroughs within of about 50,000 to 75,000 apiece, allowing the names of places like Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Decatur, Buckhead, East Point, Stone Mountain, Tucker etc to live on.

I wonder the legal ramifications of resurrecting Milton County with portions that were not Milton County before. When Milton County was in existence, Roswell was in Cobb and Sandy Springs was always Fulton. Of course the Roswell of the day was the original town centered around Atlanta Street and Marietta Street (9 and 120 today) not the city limits of today which stretch from the Cherokee line to the Gwinnett line.
Yes! I remarked about this in another thread not too far back...a lot people don't realize this...Roswell and Sandy Springs were never in Milton County...and Sandy Springs has always been in Fulton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Buckhead? What are you talking about??? The article is THREE MONTHS OLD. This is old news and not even worth of a major daily.

We all know about your agenda...you make a half-hearted attempt to mask your real intentions, but it's easy to see the ignorance and racism in your words. You aren't fooling anyone.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm afraid that your generalizations about the attitudes of the top wage earners paying taxes are missing my points by a mile. Do I infer that you think we are against having to pay taxes at all? That is certainly not true. I believe in a fair and equitable tax system, however...and the current system, IMHO, isn't that.
And as far as I'm concerned, the massive and unbridled redistribution of hard-earned wealth is a MAJOR "evil indiscretion of the government" that can only result in our financial collapse.
LD, I completely support your right to hold and promote your opinion. In my opinion, your second paragraph does not make sense from an international perspective. Most other western countries have far more redistributive income tax regimes than does the US. I quite understand that you and like-minded Americans shudder at this and regard the US's relatively non-redistributive tax regime as a cherished American freedom. In fact, this often seems to be the core of the American concept of freedom - getting to hang on to more of your money - since citizens of other western nations typically have the same or more civil liberties as US citizens.

However, Canada and western Europe seem to have avoided financial collapse so far, and indeed in some cases appear to be in better financial shape than the US. So a redistributive tax regime, although distasteful to you, does not appear to lead to financial collapse.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I feel the same way. I want to live in a clean neighborhood. If I had children I would want them to go to the best schools. I also want to elect politcians that will hold the highest of care for my well-being. I believe in fiscal prudence and in working with the system to improve it, NOT to just willy-nilly create some new layer of government at a moment's notice because MY park isn't the most flashiest, MY police precinct isn't the most responsive to my needs.

Why is it that people would think that just because my color is different that I wouldn't believe in such things? Please, someone explain to me that one...
Of course you want good schools and clean neighborhoods. In No. Fulton, we already have those. And, I have no problem with students from less advantaged areas being bused in while we have the room to accommodate them.

Do you think the government is responsible for keeping your neighborhoods clean? Do you think any amount of tax money will make up for lack of parental involvement in the schools or lack of supervision by parents?

What my area of No. Fulton needs is roads (specifically traffic lights) that can deal with the building boom around here. According to surveys taken by Milton, the #1 concern of the residents is traffic. It can take 15 minutes to make a left onto Arnold Mill Rd at certain times of the day. But, it's a county road, and there are no funds to do a study and add a signal to the intersection.

I don't need a flashy park, I just want A park. That is also years away, because there are no county funds available.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,945 times
Quote:
More demogoguery regarding the wealthy. That's original. Who do you think these 'millionaires' are, anyway? The people that create jobs, for starters. Most of these people are small business owners...about 70% of the workforce is employed by these 'warmongers'.

www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html

The average 'millionaire' is a small business owner who came from modest circumstances, lives below his means, and has among other things given employment to other individuals. He's not some fatcat sitting on a pile of money, chewing on his cigar and rubbing his hands in avarice. That image is too laughable to consider.
So, just keep heaping it on the 'wealthy'...something will have to give, and that something may well be your current employment.
Back to topic now
You're exactly correct. Most "millionaires" aren't identifiably rich.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
The small business "Clark Howard" types I have nothing against. I read Black Enterprise ever month to get my dose of inspiration on people who pull themselves up by their bootstraps. It's the "Bob Nardelli" types that I have nothing but scorn and disdain for. When you get to that level, it becomes less about a true "Free market" and more about cronoyism and good 'ol boy politics.

But what I don't like about the some of the southern "small-business" types is their penchant for supporting reactionary figures who divide and sow mistrust. It's that same mistrust that has allowed for centuries of mismanagement and inequality that has come to fruition in this present day form.

I sympathize with people who don't like seeing misrepresentation in the govenrment dollars department but what I despise is people who use that as a way of not wanting to help their fellow man regardless of creed, color, ethnic origin and unfortunately that has ALWAYS been the case in the south(and some of the north too) and in this country.

Deny it if you want, but some of us know better...
Churches and non-profits are for charity, not the government. You honestly are unfamiliar with the U.S. Constitution.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why do you think they are getting less services than I am in another part of the county? They are whining, plain and simple. They want MORE services for the SAME money.

The cost of setting up a new county government is prohibitive to this idea. That in itself makes it a ridiculous proposal.
If they don't feel their needs are being addressed, then self-rule is the only morally just thing to do.

Last edited by City Fanatic; 07-16-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Government is a necessary evil. We the people are the government. If Government is imperfect, it is merely the reflection of the people this institution, this body of laws claim to represent.

This is what I don't get about many of my fellow southerners: Traditionally too many of y'all will look the other way at the evil indiscretions of the government as long as it is someone else that's suffering. But the moment YOUR pocketbooks, YOUR wallets takes a hit, NOW you want to complain.

Why wasn't there a complaint of big government after Plessy v. Ferguson? Why wasn't there an uproar when Nixon nullified the Bretton-Woods Agreement and took the U.S. off the gold-standard? Why was there no rantings when Reagan created the beginnings of this massive budget deficit 30 years ago? Why was there not a plan to pay for these current conflicts in Iraq & Afghanistan?

Time and time again, the truth always reveals itself. It's always about who gets the benefits and who doesn't.
There were complaints of all those policies. People chose to ignore them.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I feel the same way. I want to live in a clean neighborhood. If I had children I would want them to go to the best schools. I also want to elect politcians that will hold the highest of care for my well-being. I believe in fiscal prudence and in working with the system to improve it, NOT to just willy-nilly create some new layer of government at a moment's notice because MY park isn't the most flashiest, MY police precinct isn't the most responsive to my needs.

Why is it that people would think that just because my color is different that I wouldn't believe in such things? Please, someone explain to me that one...
Children should attend local schools, not be bussed across county lines to fulfill a quota. I hope that bussing isn't related to your comment of "go to the best schools".

Old 07-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid that your generalizations about the attitudes of the top wage earners paying taxes are missing my points by a mile. Do I infer that you think we are against having to pay taxes at all? That is certainly not true. I believe in a fair and equitable tax system, however...and the current system, IMHO, isn't that.
And as far as I'm concerned, the massive and unbridled redistribution of hard-earned wealth is a MAJOR "evil indiscretion of the government" that can only result in our financial collapse.
Patriotic Tea Parties Video

YouTube - Patriotic Tea Parties Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta