Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM

76 posts, read 162,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Correct. And another point which a lot of smaller city police departments do (veers off topic but does lead up to a point):

A few years back here in Powder Springs, they changed the system so that when you call 911, you actually get the Cobb COUNTY Police department. You file your complaint, and they then dispatch the Powder Springs Police department to your location. You might then get Powder Springs and/or Cobb Police coming to where you need them. Now, they claim that this is "more efficient", and saves the city of Powder Springs money since they don't have to employ more dispatchers. I don't see how it's more efficient when you have to call one agency and then they have to call another to dispatch officers.

On top of that, I'm personally aware of a few things that have happened within the city limits of Powder Springs, that were never put on the books and filed by the city of Powder Springs police, but instead, wound up being filed in the Cobb County police reports. In the grand scheme of things if this happens enough (which I believe does), then Powder Springs would appear to have a lower crime rate than it really does, while Cobb County "absorbs" the crime stats from the town into their own stats. It happens a lot with smaller towns and counties.

Ok, that's not directly related to sex perverts and registries, but the indirect point is that you can't always go by printed stats, registries, and stuff like that to entirely base your decision to move somewhere. When you take sex offenders as a whole, a majority of them involve legal age adults having sex with upper-age teenagers, rapes between an adult to another adult, or a family member who molests a child within that same family... not nutjob pervs who are roaming the streets looking for random children to molest. Yes, they exist, but the number of *overall* sex offenders on a registry are not usually those types, and therefore, nothing to base a decision on when a move is concerned. Would you want to move NEXT DOOR to any type of offender? No. But don't freak out because there are 50 in a town of tens of thousands, either. As I said, most are on that registry due to other circumstances that your family would not have to worry about.
Interesting info.........since I too happen to be in Powder Springs but outside the city limits (barely and I mean BARELY) and we also have a Cobb County car responding to whatever emergency is called in......which is mostly medical in our small subdivison but nonetheless............also you hear of random gang activity in every high school in Cobb County......no high school is immune........even the infamous "good" ones.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM

102 posts, read 382,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Cartersville is not a little town. I wonder if you've even been there. Sure, it's nowhere as large as Marietta, and it is a bit detached, as I mentioned previously, but the developed area of Cartersville is about ten miles north-south by ten miles east-west (out to Euharlee).

What mountains would you be speaking of, as there are no mountains in and around Cartersville? There are a few bluffs, the ending of the ridges that are readily seen in areas closer to Chattanooga, as both are part of the Ridge and Valley Physiographic area (Cartersville is just on the edge of this physiographic region, while places east and south are in the Piedmont physiographic region).
Good point! A lot of people post on here about what they THINK or ASSUME a place would be like. Or they go to a couple of neighborhoods and judge the whole city on that alone. I found out a long time ago most people on here have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,626 times
Lol... rural ga and sex crimes should typically be ignored. As already stated, they do not give an actual picture of what went on.

Its not like there are 58 actual compulsive molesters stalking the streets...

Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 18,569 times
Be prepared to go to church at least 3 times a week or be scorned to H*ll.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Lol... rural ga and sex crimes should typically be ignored. As already stated, they do not give an actual picture of what went on.

Its not like there are 58 actual compulsive molesters stalking the streets...
Cartersville and Acworth are basically side-by-side. Emerson is the only town separating them. The only difference is that Cartersville is detached from the mass of the suburban Atlanta built-up area by a five miles undeveloped area, whereas Acworth is on the very northwestern outer edge of the suburban Atlanta built-up area.

Cartersville isn't exactly what you'd call rural. That's more or less something to the effect of Cedartown, Summerville, or Jasper, towns farther removed from the mass of metro Atlanta, and of which are smaller.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 PM

288 posts, read 543,349 times
Well, in many sex offender stats listed on city data, you can actually see an entire list of the names, addresses, photos, criminal charges and date of arrest. And most other police dept's offer the same info. Most of the ones I clicked on were not 19 year olds caught for having sex with a 16 year old but rather a non-stop list of creepy old men charged with crimes against children under 14. You can see the details yourself.

//www.city-data.com/so/so-Carte...e-Georgia.html is the sex offender list.

Having sex with a minor is usually called statuatory rape so it is easy to determine.

Cartersville has 1 sex offender for 328 people so that is a high number. By comparison, roswell has 1 sex offender for 3,800 people.

Last edited by johnnyboy2008; 09-22-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM

20 posts, read 39,149 times
I grew up in Cartersville, not that long ago, and my family still lives there. It is a terrible place to raise a family; High and growing crime rate, Low average income, horrible schools, crowded courts that are highly subject to the 'good ol boy' system, Tore up roads, Uneducated population, etc. etc.

I'm not bashing it, I just do NOT want anyone moving there thinking it's a "Nice southern suburb" It's trashy...plain and simple. I would recommend Woodstock, it is probably...no...it is THE BEST suburb of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta