Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Your doubts are over!

I live in NE Cobb County ... although in a small, older subdivision ... we probably have ALL representations of race, religion ... creed and political conviction.

In finding a small home to rent/lease/buy around this area or North Fulton or Gwinnett... that might be the problem. In the northern 'burbs most of the 'stand alone' homes came with a great deal of acreage.

There are always pockets of civilization that are very educated, cultured, accepting and non-segregating in many places outside of the City of Atlanta. You must be very scrupulous on your examining of the demographics of the schools, etc.

My suggestion is to stick to counties that border Fulton County (Cobb, Cherokee, Gwinnett). To the South I am unfamiliar therefore other posters might be of assistance.
East Cobb is not semi-rural in any possible way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 06:19 PM

16,705 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Default Cartersville

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemiami1170 View Post
low crime, good schools no segragation! good place to raise a multi racial family dont mind a 30 min commute! looking to buy a home 170k-220k would prefer to stay away from subdivisions like some room between homes more private
Hello Miami...

I think the perfect place for you and your family would be Cartersville in Bartow County...specifically within the Cartersville city limits with the Cartersville City Schools. The area is semi-rural, with diverse (economically and racially) and great schools. I think you will be very happy.

Be wary of some of the advice on this site...Atlanta (and this forum) are full of so many non-natives that don't know Metro Atlanta or Georgia well at all. Cartersville should have been mentioned right away.

Good Luck.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Bob, I guess your first question was slightly facetious, but of course, north-east Cobb County would be the area approximately between Shallowford Falls and Sweat Mountain on the admirable map in this post: //www.city-data.com/forum/3563837-post43.html

I live in this area, which has everything from older subdivisions with pricing around $200K, to new subdivisions in the $800K+ range. There is some housing in this area that would fit OP's price range, barely, I guess.

However, I wouldn't call north-east Cobb "semi-rural". There are little patches of undeveloped land sprinkled about - and it's nice to see them, like the small farm with livestock on Mabry Road - but overall, this is suburbia.
Thanks Rainy ... for the support.

If you take Trickum Road NORTH .... from Wigley ... past Hwy 92 ... around Arnold Mill Road going east. That is fairly 'semi-rural' up there ... only a few subdivisions between land lots with single homes on acreage.

Approximately 5 miles from my residence. Perhaps I was thinking of the price range for the OP, but from Arnold Mill Road / Trickum all the way to downtown "Old Town Woodstock" ... there is only 1 traffic signal.

Maybe that is "partially" "semi-rural" ... or ?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
East Cobb is not semi-rural in any possible way.
Please read my text. NORTH EAST COBB County or "NE Cobb County" is NOT East Cobb "proper". I closely border Cherokee County to the north and Fulton to the West.

5-6 miles North of where I reside there are very open parts of land that are not developed and the nearest store is 5-7 miles.

Subject to individual perception.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:34 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,497 times
Quote:
Please read my text. NORTH EAST COBB County or "NE Cobb County" is NOT East Cobb proper. I closely border Cherokee County to the north and Fulton to the West.

5-6 miles North of where I reside there are very open parts of land.

Call it whatever you'd like.
The contiguous built-up area in Cherokee County is triangle shaped, where it spans most of the southern end of the county, around Highway 92. However, north of 92, it starts to move in closer toward I-575. For example, northeast of Trickum, I agree, it does become more sparsely populated. However, if you were to take Canton Road through downtown Woodstock, it is built up along most of East Cherokee Drive westward to I-575 and over to Lake Alatoona. North of Exit 16, it becomes very narrow to areas in close proximity to Canton. However, there are plenty of homes even in the less populated areas.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemiami1170 View Post
paulding county or barrow county? how are those areas?
I can't comment much on Barrow, but let's put it this way about Paulding... on a not-that-old conversation on one of the Paulding County chat boards, when the topic of public transportation came up there were more than a few comments such as, "I moved out here because Paulding does NOT have public transit, or the types of people who ride it", followed with a ton of "me toos".

While it's a fine place to live for some folks, the original post and topic is asking for "no segragation" - that would not apply to Paulding in most areas.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
The contiguous built-up area in Cherokee County is triangle shaped, where it spans most of the southern end of the county, around Highway 92. However, north of 92, it starts to move in closer toward I-575. For example, northeast of Trickum, I agree, it does become more sparsely populated. However, if you were to take Canton Road through downtown Woodstock, it is built up along most of East Cherokee Drive westward to I-575 and over to Lake Alatoona. North of Exit 16, it becomes very narrow to areas in close proximity to Canton. However, there are plenty of homes even in the less populated areas.
Thank you very much for responding and contributing additional facts. I merely thought just in that "neck of the woods" Trickum area was [kinda-sorta] sparsely populated. I did notice however they were building a new (middle) school closer to the little "civic" center of woodstock (police dept, etc.)

Anyhow ... that's what I would call "semi-rural" ... perhaps not in everyone perception.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 PM

606 posts, read 2,006,003 times
Villa Rica is a semi-rural area without any segragation.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Quote:
Thanks Rainy ... for the support.

If you take Trickum Road NORTH .... from Wigley ... past Hwy 92 ... around Arnold Mill Road going east. That is fairly 'semi-rural' up there ... only a few subdivisions between land lots with single homes on acreage.

Approximately 5 miles from my residence. Perhaps I was thinking of the price range for the OP, but from Arnold Mill Road / Trickum all the way to downtown "Old Town Woodstock" ... there is only 1 traffic signal.

Maybe that is "partially" "semi-rural" ... or ?
Umm, but the intersection of Trickum and Wigley is right on the Cobb-Cherokee County line, according to Cobb County's detailed map here http://www.cobbgis.org/maplibrary/Ma...aspx?fileid=60 (warning: that map takes ages to download).

So 100% of the area you describe is in Cherokee county. None of it is in Cobb at all.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:44 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times
I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the "semi-rural" thing. Either its rural or urban. Half rural? Having the characteristics of being rural? It just does not fit. I want a semi million dollars... is that $500k? Is it ten one dollar bills that COULD be ten 100,000 dollar bills?
If you are looking for rural north Atlanta, drive about 80 miles north of the perimeter. If you are looking for urban... stop anywhere in between. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta