Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think that NYC, LA and Chicago are 'first-tier'; Atlanta would be in the second-tier along with DC, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia and Boston. It is, after all, the ninth largest metro in the US.
I would also put Phoenix in that second-tier group.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Uh, negatory.

Atlanta is one of the five most important cities in the United States. You have to think of regional hubs.

New York-Northeast

Chicago-Midwest

Los Angeles-West

Atlanta-South

Washington, D.C.-National

(Dallas-Southwest/Texas)
(Miami-Central+South Florida, Caribbean, and beyond)
I think Houston is probably the regional hub of the south. If you say that Atlanta is one of the 5 most important cities in the U.S. then you are saying Atlanta is more important than Miami, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Boston, etc. Atlanta is an important city but I dont think you can say it's any more important than any of these cities.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think that NYC, LA and Chicago are 'first-tier'; Atlanta would be in the second-tier along with DC, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia and Boston. It is, after all, the ninth largest metro in the US.
Hey Lovin...what are you still doin' up?

I mainly agree...and think Atlanta even trumps the cities in its "tier" in terms of regional importance and signficance (Atlanta as the de-facto capital of the "country" known as the American South {or Dixie!})

Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
I think Houston is probably the regional hub of the south.
Houston is very large city (oil+a port), but it is not as significant as Atlanta or even Dallas.

Houston is in Texas (and/or the Southwest). Texas is like a whole other region in itself (and I think it is actually more "Southwest" than "South"...even though its extreme eastern piney woods area is classicly southern).

Dallas trumps Houston in Texas. Houston is not the capital of the American South.

In terms of "city importance" you can't go by population numbers alone. There are several humongous cities in China...that are pretty high on world population lists. Many (or even most) you've probably nevah even heard of.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I think Houston is probably the regional hub of the south. If you say that Atlanta is one of the 5 most important cities in the U.S. then you are saying Atlanta is more important than Miami, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Boston, etc. Atlanta is an important city but I dont think you can say it's any more important than any of these cities.
Atlanta is the capital/hub of a very huge American region! It is very significant/important.

Atlanta is the American South as Mexico City is to Mexico and Sao Paulo is to Brasil and Madrid is to Spain, etc.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 PM

In terms of just the southeast, not including Texas, I would say Atlanta is the 2nd most important city, after Miami.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
I would also put Phoenix in that second-tier group.
Fair enough.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
In terms of just the southeast, not including Texas, I would say Atlanta is the 2nd most important city, after Miami.
Miami is the regional hub of South Florida (everything Orlando southward), Cuba, the Caribbean, and parts of Latin America!

Miami and Atlanta don't even play and compete in the same sphere.

Don't you know, Mr. North Dakota, that Florida is really two different states?

Ocala/Daytona Beach northward is North Florida. This is a very southern state...very much like south Georgia and south Alabama. Jacksonville is actually nicknamed the "Capital of South Georgia."

North Florida and North Floridians look to Atlanta as the regional hegemon. When Florida State graduates leave Tallahassee, where do they flock to? Atlanta...not Miami.

Miami is North Cuba-ish...not "southern" at all.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Miami is the regional hub of South Florida (everything Orlando southward), Cuba, the Caribbean, and parts of Latin America!

Ocala/Daytona Beach northward is North Florida. This is a very southern state...very much like south Georgia and south Alabama. Jacksonville is actually nicknamed the "Capital of South Georgia."

North Florida and North Floridians look to Atlanta as the regional hegemon. When Florida State graduates leave Tallahassee, where do they flock to? Atlanta...not Miami.

Exactly.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:

So when you say that Atlanta is the regional hub of the southeast you're not including south florida right ? Actually a lot of FSU graduates flock to Jacksonville as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta