Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times

Advertisements

Apparently SOMEBODY liked it, because this town most assuredly has too doggoned many people!

I do think some people come here with over-hyped expectations. I didn't. I came from a neighboring state, knew I didn't like the place but came anyway because it was the only place my husband could find a job. As soon as we are able we are out of here.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
As a Chicagoan I talk to folks all the time about Atlanta. One reocurring answer I get is bad news and disappointment.

I am thinking people that move to Atlanta because of the hype, I guess. What are people expecting when tey move to Atl. that causes them to move back home after 18months? Do people think are are going to party like a rockstar when they move to Atlanta?

Are peoples expectations to high?

I'm just curiouos why transplants get disappointed.

It's possible you're rather young, and that you're basing your thoughts and interpretations about Atlanta on unscientific data. At least data that is not the norm.

If you are young, young people tend to be vagabonds. College graduates may take a year off and trek about in Europe, South America, China, or California. I did some treking myself when I was younger.

For example where I bank, young people in their 20s tend to stay a year or less and then move on.

Many metro Atlanta transplants love the area. In fact, quite a few of these transplants in their 30s, 40s, and 50s never want to relocate to another region of the country.

BTW, Atlanta was recently selected as one of the best retirement spots in the country.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:59 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
*chuckles at your post*

1) I am a 35 year old man. Sure that's young but old enough to know better.

2) My post stated that I have heard others say bad things about Atlanta. If that's their view that's fine. Some folks would say bad things about Chicago. I don't try to defend it. If people have a bad vibe about the city, they are more than entitled to it.

3) I never said one thing about Atlanta in a negitive tone.

4) Again I just bthought I would ask the question because of what I have heard, jus out of curiousity,as I stated in my post. We get many, many folks asking the same questions on the Chicago board and I am always happy to respond, never have I told someone : "it's possible that you're young". Talk about being on you high horse.

5) One thing about Chicagoans, we love our city and all of it's mess, but if you don't like it we don't try to break your arm about it and attempt to defend it. We know Chi is a special city just like Atlanta natives know the same holds true for Atlanta.

I just asked a question, no harm intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
It's possible you're rather young, and that you're basing your thoughts and interpretations about Atlanta on unscientific data. At least data that is not the norm.

If you are young, young people tend to be vagabonds. College graduates may take a year off and trek about in Europe, South America, China, or California. I did some treking myself when I was younger.

For example where I bank, young people in their 20s tend to stay a year or less and then move on.

Many metro Atlanta transplants love the area. In fact, quite a few of these transplants in their 30s, 40s, and 50s never want to relocate to another region of the country.

BTW, Atlanta was recently selected as one of the best retirement spots in the country.

Last edited by Ron.; 10-09-2008 at 04:18 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
I know I made general and broad comments. I just reated what I heard.
Right...but who are these people and what did you hear, specifically? Did they hate Atlanta because of traffic, cost of living, or because they thought it was a mecca for something and found their assumptions didn't jibe with reality? Give us some context to your broad anecdotes.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 AM

I don't think all of the details are needed. I think many that read my question will understand what I am saying, if they don't, that's fine also. Several have sent DM's to me with great answers.

If you don't understand, that's ok. Thanks for trying to answer.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Right...but who are these people and what did you hear, specifically? Did they hate Atlanta because of traffic, cost of living, or because they thought it was a mecca for something and found their assumptions didn't jibe with reality? Give us some context to your broad anecdotes.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
*chuckles at your post*

1) I am a 35 year old man. Sure that's young but old enough to know better.

2) My post stated that I have heard others say bad things about Atlanta. If that's their view that's fine. Some folks would say bad things about Chicago. I don't try to defend it. If people have a bad vibe about the city, they are more than entitled to it.

3) I never said one thing about Atlanta in a negitive tone.

4) Again I just bthought I would ask the question because of what I have heard, jus out of curiousity,as I stated in my post. We get many, many folks asking the same questions on the Chicago board and I am always happy to respond, never have I told someone : "it's possible that you're young". Talk about being on you high horse.

5) One thing about Chicagoans, we love our city and all of it's mess, but if you don't like it we don't try to break your arm about it and attempt to defend it. We know Chi is a special city just like Atlanta natives know the same holds true for Atlanta.

I just asked a question, no harm intended.

Sure, individually certain people may not like Atlanta, but collectively most people like Atlanta. If a person can't find a niche here, they've got problems.

Your question implies that a lot of people do not like Atlanta, and I can assure you that conclusion is not true when viewed through a LARGE prism. Not a small prism. You can't view this question objectively by talking to a small number of people.

The responses you're hearing from your circle of friends, acquaintances, whatever, could very well be dependent on the people you hang out with. That's very possible. If all of your friends hang out near the University of Chicago and discuss Plato, Socrates, and Greek art in Russian, Atlanta may not be their cup of tea. Sure!

I lived in quite a few places and I love Atlanta. Across the board, not many cities can match it.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 AM

You are making this waaaaaaaaay more serious than it is. It's obvious that you are a raving fan of Atlanta, and that's just fine. So lets leave it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
Sure, individually certain people may not like Atlanta, but collectively most people like Atlanta. If a person can't find a niche here, they've got problems.

Your question implies that a lot of people do not like Atlanta, and I can assure you that conclusion is not true when viewed through a LARGE prism. Not a small prism. You can't view this question objectively by talking to a small number of people.

The responses you're hearing from your circle of friends, acquaintances, whatever, could very well be dependent on the people you hang out with. That's very possible. If all of your friends hang out near the University of Chicago and discuss Plato, Socrates, and Greek art in Russian, Atlanta may not be their cup of tea. Sure!

I lived in quite a few places and I love Atlanta. Across the board, not many cities can match it.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 AM

23,445 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
You are making this waaaaaaaaay more serious than it is. It's obvious that you are a raving fan of Atlanta, and that's just fine. So let's leave it here.

I just asked a simple question...........
A simple ? that operates on the pretext that Atlanta gets a bad rap...it's like asking someone "When did you stop beating your wife?"
Why does Atlanta get a bad rap? IMO, it doesn't.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A simple ? that operates on the pretext that Atlanta gets a bad rap...it's like asking someone "When did you stop beating your wife?"
Why does Atlanta get a bad rap? IMO, it doesn't.
Nice....reps to you.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
You are making this waaaaaaaaay more serious than it is. It's obvious that you are a raving fan of Atlanta, and that's just fine. So lets leave it here.
I would guarantee you if I went on the Chicago thread and posed the exact same question you did and changed the cities around, there would be just as many if not more raving Chicago fans countering my statement about Chicago's bad rap. And probably with less of the southern hospitality that is being displayed here.

I think a less emotive way of explaining it is that when we are younger, the grass is always greener somewhere else. We move, we look for something better. For many, the grass is greener elsewhere, they appreciate it and stay. But for more of us, even the greener grass isn't home and we want home even with its brown dried up grass.

I love Atlanta. It is my home. I am now in Texas. Dallas isn't bad, I could be in areas a lot worse. There are things here I appreciate that Atlanta doesn't have. But it isn't home. I long and yearn for the day when I can go back to my beloved Georgia.

When that day comes, it won't be because Texas got a bad rap, it will simply be me going home, tapping my ruby red slippers at the heels and chanting along with Dorothy and Toto, "there's no place......"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta