Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I want to go on record that I don't think that everyone who didn't vote for Obama is a racist. However, there have been some UGLY and HATEFUL comments made, particularly on ajc. It's shameful that there are people like this in my great state. The state that will always have a place in my heart. Yet there is some ugliness in Georgia. Those ugly comments shouldn't be praised.

There are black folks who voted for McCain. There are some who voted for Obama solely because he's black and there are those that did not solely because of race. That's just the truth of the matter.

You voted for McCain. Good for you that was your right as an American. I did not that's my right too.
I agree with you there. Georgia is a great state, but there is a lot of mean and hateful people that makes the state fall short of being perfect. It also seems like people don't want to let go of the past, rather than be with the times with the new America of 2008 and following years. As you can see last night, the face of America is changing, and IMO for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 05:25 PM

455 posts, read 1,115,054 times
It was on my mind to take a vacation to Atlanta in the near future to see if I might like living there. But seeing the red map last night of so many southern states has changed my mind. I currently live in Minneapolis. Now I wouldn't waste my vacation time going to a 'red state'. I'll take a trip to California instead..........And if I decide to move, I'd rather pay the high cost of living in California than deal with a 'red state'.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 PM

293 posts, read 1,107,228 times
Default The Bottom Line...

The bottom line is, even though Georgia is STILL a red state, Obama is our president. We can be racist, hateful, stuck in the past, stuck in our mode of thinking, or proud, he has been given the task (no thanks to Georgia) of trying to change this country around. Sure people may want to assassinate him, but, McCain would have had to deal with the same thing. You can please some of the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
It was on my mind to take a vacation to Atlanta in the near future to see if I might like living there. But seeing the red map last night of so many southern states has changed my mind. I currently live in Minneapolis. Now I wouldn't waste my vacation time going to a 'red state'. I'll take a trip to California instead..........And if I decide to move, I'd rather pay the high cost of living in California than deal with a 'red state'.
FWIW---there will be a run off election for the Senate seat in GA. The incumbent, Republican Saxby Chambliss, received 49.9 per cent of the votes and needed 50 per cent to be elected--if that gives you any idea of the type of political climate found in GA.

Meanwhile CA passed Prop 8.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
Like any big city I think you would find many progressive open minded people, many of whom share many of your values. As many say those that live ITP (intown) tend to have a different mindset then those OTP. Hard to judge a place without visiting. In one of Atlanta's congressional districts no republican ran against the democrat. The county Atlanta is in went 59% for Kerry in 2004 and 69% for Obama this year. Just about every county around Atlanta was blue this year. I am not advocating one or the other just pointing out that it is hard to label a whole state the same and write them off as a place you might enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post

Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 PM

606 posts, read 2,006,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Like any big city I think you would find many progressive open minded people, many of whom share many of your values. As many say those that live ITP (intown) tend to have a different mindset then those OTP. Hard to judge a place without visiting. In one of Atlanta's congressional districts no republican ran against the democrat. The county Atlanta is in went 59% for Kerry in 2004 and 69% for Obama this year. Just about every county around Atlanta was blue this year. I am not advocating one or the other just pointing out that it is hard to label a whole state the same and write them off as a place you might enjoy.
Just about every county around Atlanta was blue ? There were 6 counties in metro Atlanta that were blue, the rest were red.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
Your correct. 6 counties in metro Atlanta. I was referring to the immediate metro area, I guess it depends how you define the metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Just about every county around Atlanta was blue ? There were 6 counties in metro Atlanta that were blue, the rest were red.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Your correct. 6 counties in metro Atlanta. I was referring to the immediate metro area, I guess it depends how you define the metro area.
Apparently nearly every white in Georgia is a republican, because I don't believe any of the northern metro counties voted democrat. Nearly 80% of Forsyth voted for McCain !!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 PM

207 posts, read 940,598 times
96% of blacks voted for a black. Thats a coincident?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
96% of blacks voted for a black. Thats a coincident?
Georgia seems more racist than most of America. Blacks all across the country voted for Obama. But it seems like more whites up north and west voted for Obama than whites in Georgia did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta