Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times

Advertisements

"way too gentrified"

I would think that people would welcome non-blacks moving into neighborhoods and actually taking care of their property and lowering the crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
That's a very unfair statement for the law-abiding residents in these gentrifying neighborhoods who own their homes (and have occupied them for decades), pay their property taxes, and while they might not have immaculate, manicured lawns, they do keep their property maintained. These are the silent heroes who typically get overlooked while everybody else is celebrating the fact that the neighborhood got a new Starbucks. And yes, they are Black.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's a very unfair statement for the law-abiding residents in these gentrifying neighborhoods who own their homes (and have occupied them for decades), pay their property taxes, and while they might not have immaculate, manicured lawns, they do keep their property maintained. These are the silent heroes who typically get overlooked while everybody else is celebrating the fact that the neighborhood got a new Starbucks. And yes, they are Black.
So where is the line between desirable and undesirable? It's hard to imagine anyone lamenting improvements to their neighborhood. I know the reasons, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

Established neighborhoods can experience decline/rebirth more than once over a period of decades. Many of these gentrifying areas were desirable prior to the current decline, and as they were declining I'm sure there were complaints about "those people changing our neighborhood"...just as residents often complain about gentrification. It's a cycle that will continue as long as a neighborhood is intact.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 PM

My only point is that there are good, decent, law-abiding Black residents in these neighborhoods that get overlooked in the gentrifying process, whereas everyone tends to fall all over themselves lauding the new neighbors and the "trendy" stuff that comes along with that. And in many cases, these same residents get priced out of the neighborhoods that they helped to provide a measure of basic stability to through their declines.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:58 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I still think it's bound to be Charlotte. Just too many opportunities there to ignore.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I still think it's bound to be Charlotte. Just too many opportunities there to ignore.
For everybody. Charlotte's attracting too much of everyone to be considered a new Black mecca. Like I said before, the conditions that made Atlanta a Black mecca no longer exist to the extent that they once did, so this talk of a "new Black mecca" is pretty moot.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:12 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
Dekalb and Clayton were the only black majority counties in the atlanta metro. now its Fulton, Dekalb, Clayton, and Rockdale....While the city may be losing blacks the metro is seeing huge black growth

Old 04-24-2011, 04:32 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Dekalb and Clayton were the only black majority counties in the atlanta metro. now its Fulton, Dekalb, Clayton, and Rockdale....While the city may be losing blacks the metro is seeing huge black growth
Fulton is not majority black.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:42 PM

439 posts, read 852,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeshaThnx4Lyfe View Post
I was warned to not reply to you because you were trying to trick people.

~Markesha
Were you warned that I trick people?? LOL!! What? Am I a magician who do tricks??

Hun, I say nothing but the truth. YOU DO NOT know these so called people who are writing you from Adam. AND WE DO NOT know you either.

HOWEVER, we know who is moving here with no plan, no back up plan and irresponsibly. We see it EVERYDAY. It is the same story all the time: single parents, no education, little money, who end up on the unemployment line at the DOL, over-saturating the struggling infrastructure of the lower middle class neighborhoods.

I am not tricking no one. I am telling as many here are, the truth. WARNING people does not make me a racist either. I have NO PROBLEM with people who move here due to a relocation from their present employer, or someone who has a plan, education and funds to move in no matter what color they are. I actually welcome them.

But we read, hear and see people like you with a dream being attracted here by hearsay and people on this forum who want to make money off of you. I am not the only one telling you to be careful moving to Atlanta, right now.

Atlanta is becoming expensive because of its popularity. Low end labor jobs do not pay well as people make to seem. Understand, there is a difference between people who have moved in to Atlanta 20 yrs ago or from people who have been established in Atlanta for generations. You have to talk to people who have moved here not long ago so that they can tell you the REALITY of the situation.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:47 PM

439 posts, read 852,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not at all. It still has Atlanta as one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the entire country over the past decade with an increase of over 1 million. It's more common than not for the Census to undercount city residents.
Thats what I thought. I believe Atlanta has seen a tremendous population growth of late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta