Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta had a financially successful and educated black population going back to the early 1900s, so that reputation has stayed with the city ever since. The first black millioinaire in the U.S. was from Atlanta. The first black daily newspaper was published in Atlanta. Atlanta was the center of the Civil Rights Movement. The flourishing black community in Atlanta and it's history is one reason the city has been so attractive to black folks relocating for decades - hence the large black population. It isn't just coincidence, and this atmosphere isn't commonly found in the U.S.

Deacon J cant you tell when people dont know there history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yeah, especially when the comment is insulting. If that's the case, a moderator can find out which member repped you and do something about it.
No, not an insult. Just their way of disagreeing with me without actually confronting me. But meh, it's a free rep for me.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
"Um, hello" anybody leaving a rep post should have enough courage to leave their name.

Al get used to it lots of cowards on this forum. Its the same ones who run home before dark lol

Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 PM

439 posts, read 852,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeshaThnx4Lyfe View Post
I agree. All my friends from the club are trying to get themselves settled in Atlanta. DC is too expensive now and crowded. Nobody is speaking English either it just doesnt feel like home to me anymore. The whole city is gentrified even out in Maryland and PG County. Just need a place for my boys in Castleberry lthough some housing assistance is going to be necessary for me since nobody is helping me find a stylist job or a greeter at an upscale hotel or office park.

Please pass my name and experience to anybody that has connections.

~Markesha

All your friends from the club are moving to Atlanta? Nobody speaks English? A gentrified city is not good for you? Do you even know what gentrified means? Now you are in need of housing assistance because you think someone else is must find YOU a job?? I guess that's the kind of posters tonygeorgia attracts from mindless, unitelligent comments...

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM

444 posts, read 703,525 times
I also believe that some of the allure of Atlanta to Blacks stem from how the area has been portrayed in the media, both past and present. There are so many shows and movies that have given Atlanta a solid impression into the collective pop-culture of Black America...sorta like what "Sleepless in Seattle" did for Seattle in mainstream American pop-culture (also Seattle grunge music versus Atlanta rap music as another pop-culture contrast and comparison).

Just check out shows like "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and the new show "Braxton Family Values," and you'll see how appealing and glamorous Atlanta is portrayed. Take those media impressions, coupled with Blacks already heading back south, and you can see how Atlanta would have the allure and advantage over its' peers.

Last edited by NYbyWAYofGA; 04-19-2011 at 11:06 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 PM

439 posts, read 852,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I also believe that some of the allure of Atlanta to Blacks stem from how the area has been portrayed in the media, both past and present. There are so many shows and movies that have given Atlanta a solid impression into the collective pop-culture of Black America...sorta like what "Sleepless in Seattle" did for Seattle in mainstream America.

Take those media impressions, coupled with Blacks already heading back south, and you can see how Atlanta would have the allure and advantage over its' peers. Just check out shows like "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and the new show "Braxton Family Values," and you'll see how appealing and glamorous Atlanta is portrayed.

Real Housewives of Atlanta gives an awful impression of Atlanta.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 PM

105 posts, read 477,885 times
I am familiar with black meccas such as Chicago, D.C., NYC, and especially Atlanta.

I read an article once that Nashville, TN is becoming the new "black mecca."

Most of the black newcomers come from Atlanta for cheaper cost of living and less congestion. I don't know whether it's true about Nashville or not. I was surprised to hear that about Nashville.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 PM

444 posts, read 703,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I see what you're saying Alinka, but it's all relative.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
The only negative impression of the city that show gives off to me is that the area is nothing but McMansions and shiny new developments devoid of any character. Otherwise, RHOA only embarrasses the metros upper class community.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Just check out shows like "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and the new show "Braxton Family Values," and you'll see how appealing and glamorous Atlanta is portrayed.
Real Housewives? Wow. It's almost as if the producers said, "Hey, let's make the Atlanta one a joke. We'll put a redneck together with 4 hoodratz and see what happens. Make sure one of them talks sh*t and cusses and one of them can't speak English. Everyone thinks that city is a joke anyway, so people will think we're being serious."

I mean what other conclusion can you come to when you compare the other franchises to Atlanta?

Glamorous and Appealing? That's the funniest thing I have heard all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta