Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
People should be able to walk anywhere they want at any time without fear of being attacked. It may require some vigillante justice to put an end to this thuggery. I wish some folks with concealed weapons would start walking the area at around midnight and put a bullet in one of these guys.
Yes, shooting people ALWAYS solves problems.

Thuggery can not be solved with Thuggery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:13 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
And people on here had the nerve to criticize me for taking my gun everywhere I go. Its not even about just carrying a gun, but when you're from areas where you're used to this type of thing you learn to be aware of your surroundings and keep your head on a swivel at all times. I hate to say it but truth be told criminals know most GT students are probably suburban kids with money and no sense of street smarts when it comes to that type of thing... in other words, easy targets. Regardless of whether you have a gun or not, if you let someone get that close up on you to be able to draw down on you first, you already lost. Personally it doesn't shake me at all because I've seen worse. Its an unfortunate situation but as I've said countless times on here, you can't run from crime I don't care where you go so im not gonna let fear dictate how I live. But trust and believe at night when im out, 9 times out of 10 im going to see you before you see me. People are broke out there and don't give a damn about where you live or where you're from... if you get caught slipping you lose. I guess im just desensitized to this type of thing because I've seen people get jacked since I had to stand at the bus stop alone as a kid. And for that reason I know how criminals operate and what they look for... vulnerability and weakness. If im sitting at a red light in my car and someone approaches my car at night... behind that dark tint is a real nice surprise.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,866 times
What is the racial background of all the suspects?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM

281 posts, read 617,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yes, shooting people ALWAYS solves problems.

Thuggery can not be solved with Thuggery.
It's a good start. A couple of dead thugs may scare some of the others into getting a job. I also say the parents of the 17 year old kid already arrested should be charged with something.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
And people on here had the nerve to criticize me for taking my gun everywhere I go. Its not even about just carrying a gun, but when you're from areas where you're used to this type of thing you learn to be aware of your surroundings and keep your head on a swivel at all times. I hate to say it but truth be told criminals know most GT students are probably suburban kids with money and no sense of street smarts when it comes to that type of thing... in other words, easy targets. Regardless of whether you have a gun or not, if you let someone get that close up on you to be able to draw down on you first, you already lost. Personally it doesn't shake me at all because I've seen worse. Its an unfortunate situation but as I've said countless times on here, you can't run from crime I don't care where you go so im not gonna let fear dictate how I live. But trust and believe at night when im out, 9 times out of 10 im going to see you before you see me. People are broke out there and don't give a damn about where you live or where you're from... if you get caught slipping you lose. I guess im just desensitized to this type of thing because I've seen people get jacked since I had to stand at the bus stop alone as a kid. And for that reason I know how criminals operate and what they look for... vulnerability and weakness. If im sitting at a red light in my car and someone approaches my car at night... behind that dark tint is a real nice surprise.
Your point reinforces why you probably don't have to carry. Criminals "ALWAYS" take the least path to resistance. They target the unaware and vulnerable, not people like yourself. I respect your right to carry, but I think percentages work against you if you are ever rob at gunpoint. I support your right to carry, but understanding your surroundings is the best deterrent to being victimized.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
According to the handful of people interviewed in this latest article, the rise in crime in that area it causing some locals to boil over it: Ga. Tech neighbors fearful as muggings continue | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/06/29/tech_neighbors_crime.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_new stab - broken link)

While crime spurts happen in any large city, they CAN in theory, lead to an entire neighborhood going southward if things are not properly handled by local police and city leaders. As per one woman who was interviewed in that area who lives in a condo complex that has places up to $500,000 saying she felt like a prisoner: Whether real or paranoia, it's going to be awfully hard to sell half-million dollar condos in an areas that people even THINK they have to stay locked inside from. Over time if this continues unchecked, it will eventually have an effect on Tech enrollment, people moving out of that area, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
What is the racial background of all the suspects?
Some were white , Some from India,China, and one or two were black Americans.Why do you ask?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Quote:
I live near GT and Home Park. In fact, I'm pursuing a degree there. I have not, thankfully, been a victim of a crime in my 3+ years here, and hope to keep it that way. My advice:

Do not go out at night (by car or by foot) for ANY reason.
Do not go to nightclubs/bars in the vicinity and return home at 3AM.
Do your work in your dorm room or apartment at night, not in the library or laboratory.
Do not live in Home Park without a security system.

These men who are venturing out at 1 AM have that "Nothing will happen to me" syndrome. The have yet to learn the lesson, "Yes it will".

40 year olds do not walk around intown at 1 AM. These students need to stop being easy targets. If a student needs to pull an all-nighter, he should sleep in the library or lab, or better yet, improve his time management skills and sleep safely in his room at night.

I can't tell you how often I've gotten agitated at friends who insist on going to a club and walking home (to Home Park) at 2AM. Or those who have a sudden pang of conscience and decide to humor a panhandler for 3 minutes.
Are you SURE that you're going to Tech (and not a Management or INTA major)? It's impossible not to do an all-nighter, or to do all work at home unless you're LOADED $$$$ (software, equipment, etc.). I can't take home an oscilloscope. Some of us have jobs and schedule work and classes, so maybe we can't use the labs during the day. Nothing to do with procrastination, just the fact that most jobs take place during the day. It's especially difficult at this school which caters to upper-middle class ***** who don't have to work while in school.

Quote:
Also, some fields of study - architecture, for example - require students to do their work in labs, studios or workshops with equipment or computer programs that they don't have at home. "Just do your work at home" is not an option for them.
THANK YOU!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Well last week there was an interesting topic on V103 morning show.They were discussing this and compared it to the the crime that happens around the A.U.C center.This area where I happened to own a own,has always experienced crimes against students.It seems as though its not mentioned nearly as much or actually rarely.These are students that also come from good homes in the suburbs.Why do they not get the attention that Georgia Tech does?Is there an attitude that because its predominately black that it is acceptable?

Although I live near Clark-Atlanta and the AUC.I have rented 2 of my rooms to Georgia Tech and Georgia State Students.Most have been from France,Belgium,India,a couple from America and currently Italy and
Korea.More than half had no car and walked to and from the Ashby Transit station which is less than 3blocks from my home.NONE of them have been in any type of incident other than people asking for spare change.Mind you ,I am not deep in the roughest parts of the area.Yet most have stated how they that when they tell friends where they live,people gasp.That say "that area is unsafe" or "you will get shot or robbed."They(Tech Administration) tell students "don't go downtown its dangerous,stay in MIDTOWN or NEAR the school."So they do.They feel SAFE because the Administration has given them the notion that the are in and around the campus is a SAFE haven.I have said it before,(knock on wood) for the most part the street and immediate area where I live is "relatively" safe.I say relatively to mean that I have NO illusionsabout where I chose to live.I am vigilant whenever I go out my door as well as when I am behind my closed doors.I am this way wherever I go be it here or Midtown or Buckhead.When I go to Rome ,London,Riyadh...(i just lost my train of thought...just saw a trailer for BRUNO...lol he's crazy)anyway,you get what im saying when you adapt a sense of being aware of your surroundings you are least likely to be a victim.I had to learn this.I grew up a naive kid fro the suburbs.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 AM

135 posts, read 533,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Are you SURE that you're going to Tech (and not a Management or INTA major)? It's impossible not to do an all-nighter, or to do all work at home unless you're LOADED $$$$ (software, equipment, etc.). I can't take home an oscilloscope. Some of us have jobs and schedule work and classes, so maybe we can't use the labs during the day. Nothing to do with procrastination, just the fact that most jobs take place during the day. It's especially difficult at this school which caters to upper-middle class ***** who don't have to work while in school.

THANK YOU!
I agree, I graduated in May and if you're doing engineering or architecture you HAVE to pull all-nighters. I just stayed in well-lit areas, followed paths that had the emergency phones along the way, and was always aware of my surroundings. Granted, that's still not 100% robber-proof, but you do what you can to keep the odds on your side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta