Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times

Advertisements

But we would also have a lot less empty homes in the suburbs if people wanted to buy them yet most people are not screaming about that. The neighborhoods getting hit the hardest right now are in the suburbs, not intown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I think if that many people wanted to live in high rise buildings throughout Atlanta right now, we would have a lot less condo auctions....Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
But we would also have a lot less empty homes in the suburbs if people wanted to buy them yet most people are not screaming about that. The neighborhoods getting hit the hardest right now are in the suburbs, not intown.
Really??? Then why are we seeing all the auctions happening in the multi-family developments intown? I haven't seen any auctions in the burbs yet.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Yes, I have seem auctions on SFH in the burbs. You are completely correct that the market for new condo buildings is terrible and that is why the auctions are happening but the burbs are having major struggles of their own. Many have said the burbs were overbuilt too and some of the newer areas further out have been hit the hardest by the downturn. The desireable, good school, well established burbs are fine but others are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Really??? Then why are we seeing all the auctions happening in the multi-family developments intown? I haven't seen any auctions in the burbs yet.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,454 times
I think that the park area is an embarrassment. We're so behind here.. That shopping center with the trader joes is a ridiculous embarrassment of a development, anybody who considers that area to be in anything but a transient state is ignorant of the new urbanization movement.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Because single family homes don't have the risk associated with building 200+ plus homes at one time as is the case in a high density multi-family development development. What you see instead is the landscape littered with abandoned subdivisions, many with one or two or a few homes built with rest of the lots covered in weeds.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I think that the park area is an embarrassment. We're so behind here.. That shopping center with the trader joes is a ridiculous embarrassment of a development, anybody who considers that area to be in anything but a transient state is ignorant of the new urbanization movement.
That specific retail center on Monroe is a bit older and was built in a time when any new retail development built within the City was welcomed. I wouldn't be surprised if that center was redeveloped within the next 15 years.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
That shopping center with the trader joes is a ridiculous embarrassment of a development, anybody who considers that area to be in anything but a transient state is ignorant of the new urbanization movement.
I had not heard of the "new urbanist movement" so I decided to educate myself. From the following website and their missions statement, it seems more like a political movement than an attempt at improving lifestyle or addressing the issues in urban communities.

New Urbanism

"Giving people many choices for living an urban lifestyle in sustainable, convenient and enjoyable places, while providing the solutions to peak oil, global warming, and climate change"

Urbanization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Urbanization" is defined as the movement of population to urban areas, and the corresponding "sprawl" of those urban areas to the suburban and rural areas.

Is it inherently good to pack people into cities and make once rural areas urban? Do we run higher risks from disease and crime in doing so?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And people wonder why folks move to the suburbs and leave the urban centers. Why do we have to turn nice areas into Manhattan to satisfy some notion of what a city should be?
Why do you suggest that there are only two options - low-density Atlanta or Manhattan, with nothing between the two extremes? Rather than a Manhattan-ization we could pursue a Savannah-ization, a Madison-ization (WI), a Portland-ization or any number of possible ways that urbanism can be executed in the city.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Why do you suggest that there are only two options - low-density Atlanta or Manhattan, with nothing between the two extremes? Rather than a Manhattan-ization we could pursue a Savannah-ization, a Madison-ization (WI), a Portland-ization or any number of possible ways that urbanism can be executed in the city.
I agree with you. Didn't mean to imply that it was binary. In fact, that's exactly what we need. If you look at NYC even, most buildings are brownstones and buildings 6 stories or below.

Here in Atlanta, townhomes and Atlantic Station type mixed use is a great solution. Once my kids leave home, that's exactly the type of development my wife and I would love to live in.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Exactly! It always bugs me how so many Americans think urbanization means Manhattan.

There are so many examples of urbanization...Manhattan is extreme...and Manhattan is...well...Manhattan.

Last edited by aries4118; 08-14-2009 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta