Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 02:03 AM

210 posts, read 455,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Think about it. If there were problems with crime, the school system, or any other civic problem in a predominately white metro atlanta community, the people would collectively get together and get it done ASAP. Problems occur in the black community and rarely even get done (at least in an efficient manner). Why? Little to no unity.
I thought it was the "stop snitching" mantra?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Totally agree with this comment. I would build on it further and say that it's benign neglect like that which allows hateful attitudes, self-destructive behaviors, and violent pathologies to fester and spread like a virus. Events like 9/11 should have shown the spotlight on what happens when you ignore the problems of people in world even as your lifestyle in part contributes to those problems.

The ideologies of extremism, poverty culture, and gang warfare win whenever we normal citizens of the United States refuse to reach across the aisle to shake each other's hand in fellowship and in love. Al Qaeda wins not through military action, but through having an ideology... as twisted as it is, that fills the void of loneliness and disenfranchisement.

America and the citizens who TRULY believe in the ideals that created this country must show that its ideology is better, that it can stand the test of time. But as long as us Americans continue to run away from each other, the madness will continue.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I'm not saying unify and go against whites. The KKK unitifed to terrorize and murder blacks. But your (all white or all black) PTA fight for what's best for children in that particular school. The thing is, there are a whole lot more all white PTA's than all black PTA's in relation to the applicable community.

I think the current culture and its glamorization of thug-like behavior comes from the ills of the black community (and it's exploitation). If we unified for a collective good, the thug-like culture, baby mama, out on my own, single parent, fragmented family culture would start to go away and put us collectively on higher ground.

The reason why blacks need to unify moreso than whites is because they have struggled and been through more as a people, but are systematically turned against one another anyway. This explains the black-on-black crime, high incarceration rates, high drop-out rates, high teen-pregnancy rates, and high rate of single parenthood. If Blacks don't collectively do something about it, who will? You?

I think its irresponsible to know what blacks have collectively gone through and are going through today and say, "Hey, not my responsiblity. You're on your own, brother...". Its not supposed to be normal and accepted for dispropartionate numbers of blacks to be worst off than whites in various arenas. That's a problem! We can't look at T.I. and say "He made, so if everyone else from Bankhead Courts does the same thing, they'll be alright. Problem solved". That seems like how people these day look at things.

Think about it. If there were problems with crime, the school system, or any other civic problem in a predominately white metro atlanta community, the people would collectively get together and get it done ASAP. Problems occur in the black community and rarely even get done (at least in an efficient manner). Why? Little to no unity.

The people who care enough to do real work to attack the roots of the problems facing the black community are very few. No leaders. Few role models. As a results, the whole race disproportionately suffers.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 32,366 times
White flight another word for segregation. My black race is struggling that is true. We need to help one another as humans so we can live together.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN THE GHETTO RAPPER MOVE INTO
YOUR UPPER CLASS NEIGHBORHOOD.

Are you going to run away from that too eventually they will be no where to run. Your ancestors created the problem which stems from slavery. We as a society needs to fix the destruction of the black race it affects everyone.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelzeka View Post
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN THE GHETTO RAPPER MOVE INTO YOUR UPPER CLASS NEIGHBORHOOD.
Who's upper class?

My middle class neighborhood has a nice mix of people, but it also has an HOA which is mandatory and whose rules and covenants I expect to be followed.

If the rapper in question lives up to the contract he signed to move into the neighborhood, he's perfectly welcome. Otherwise, he isn't.

Being a good neighbor isn't a function of skin color, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 12-18-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Fixed bad quote formatting

Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
[quote=rcsteiner;12081558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelzeka View Post

My middle class neighborhood has a nice mix of people, but it also has an HOA which is mandatory and whose rules and covenants I expect to be followed.

I love Stoneybrooke. It is oh-so-fabulous...

Stoneybrook Homeowners - Welcome!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

I just went on the site, and it seems like a nice place. I will PM you with a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
I thought it was the "stop snitching" mantra?
The stop snitching mantra is a cover up, ever watched "First 48"? I see more snitching there than on anything else (they snitch, alright)... (just bringing some humor)

Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

It's a nice neighborhood. You can get a 2500 sq ft 4BR house on a partially wooded 1/3-1/2 acre lot in a quiet hilly area with very little through traffic and private tennis courts, pool, playground, and party building for $250k-350k, and while the home construction is oldish by some standards (started in 1987), it's still a John Wieland neighborhood. Our home seems to be well-built, anyway.

Of course, it's three miles OTP, which makes it evil.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's a nice neighborhood. You can get a 2500 sq ft 4BR house on a partially wooded 1/3-1/2 acre lot in a quiet hilly area with very little through traffic and private tennis courts, pool, playground, and party building for $250k-350k, and while the home construction is oldish by some standards (started in 1987), it's still a John Wieland neighborhood. Our home seems to be well-built, anyway.

Of course, it's three miles OTP, which makes it evil.
How are the surrounding areas? How are the schools? Maybe, I should start a new thread or just send you a DM.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
How are the surrounding areas? How are the schools? Maybe, I should start a new thread or just send you a DM.

Schools are good--

Nickajack Elementary, Griffin Middle, and Campbell High.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
North is the City of Smyrna boundary, perhaps 100 yards up Civitania Road from the north subdivision entrance, and there are several nice subdivisions between Stoneybrook and the E/W Connector to the north (Vinings Estates, the Manor at Vinings, Lake View at Vinings, the fledgling Woodbridge Crossing development, etc.). The Silver Comet Trail runs parallel with the E/W Connector just on the north side.

South is Veterans Memorial Highway, arguably industrial and not nice, but it's about two miles to the south, and there are both many houses plus a Girl Scout Camp (Camp Timber Ridge (http://www.girlscoutsofgreateratlanta.org/camping_and_outdoor_activities/default.asp?page=ctr - broken link)) immediately to the south of Stoneybrook which act as a buffer. Lots of woods, and the Vinings Springs subdivision to the southeast. I think Civitania Road used to connect with Timber Ridge Road at one time (??), but I wouldn't try to drive it today w/o 4WD.

West on the other side of the ridge are some older rambler-style houses, Nickajack Creek, various subdivisions along Fontaine Road and Nickajack Road, and (eventually) the Concord Covered Bridge District.

No direct access from the east, but Buckner Road is the next road over, and just east of that is Oakdale Road and the River Line historic area.

It's a fairly nice, wooded, and relatively hilly area. We didn't choose it randomly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta