Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
African slaves and indentured European servants got together and encited rebellion
You, sir, know your history. It was indeed Bacon's Rebellion that changed the course of race relations in America. As you allude to, racism coincided with classism, and many of the concepts in today's labor force evolved from elite whites creating a middle, managerial class from poor whites who gained soci0-economic status through overseeing and buying into white supremacist ideas to claim superiority over enslaved Africans and poor blacks.

Black folks who know the history of racism are more capable of separating the ignorance and not making overt acts of racism personal, but racism very much becomes a reality and damaging when it affects employment, economic security, and one's life chances.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I could care less what you think of my supposed "worldview." You do not even know me - this is an online forum, and you need to stop pretending/wanting that it is not. These are typed words, on a computer - not a verbal conversation. You need to remember that or try to force yourself to accept it.
1. I don't care that you care less.
2. I don't care to know you
3. I don't recall asking for any personal contact info; where did you ascertain the perception that I wanted to talk offline? Someone's feathers are getting bit ruffled, eh?

Quote:
As for giving my opinion on an issue a rest, I will not. Who do you think you are to tell me I am not entitled to my opinion on a subject?
1. Fine don't give it a rest; It was only a suggestion
2. I think I am AcidSnake. That's who I think I am.
3. See number 1

Quote:
Since we know each other sooo well, you should tone down your Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson/"Always the Victim" worldview. Its becoming a bit outdated.
1. Al Sharpton? Jesse Jackson? Why not Derrick Boazman or Michael Eric Dyson? So many black progressives in the U.S. and you pick the main two that rightwing radio froths at the mouth over on a daily basis. Let's put a little more imagination into our witty comebacks, eh?

2. You gathered that I have an "Always the Victim" worldview because I acknowledge that there are complex backstories and history behind the way we human beings currently react with each other? What a superficial viewpoint that is.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
You, sir, know your history. It was indeed Bacon's Rebellion that changed the course of race relations in America. As you allude to, racism coincided with classism, and many of the concepts in today's labor force evolved from elite whites creating a middle, managerial class from poor whites who gained soci0-economic status through overseeing and buying into white supremacist ideas to claim superiority over enslaved Africans and poor blacks.

Black folks who know the history of racism are more capable of separating the ignorance and not making overt acts of racism personal, but racism very much becomes a reality and damaging when it affects employment, economic security, and one's life chances.
Now the issue is making everyone in the USA realizing that this has been the case and that we have all been used as pawns. Once that has been realized, the next mission is to get rid of this thing called "white privilege". Once people realize it was a trick and are willing to give it up, then things can truly change. People of all ethnicites, black, white, hispanic, asian, pacific islander, middle eastern, etc., should all be empowered and then people can live side by side peacefully. There isn't peace because so many people are fighting for the same resources and the people at the top make money off of the people at the bottom who are constantly fighting one another. The best way to fight job discrimination and economic insecurity is to dump this privilege thing.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
1. Al Sharpton? Jesse Jackson? Why not Derrick Boazman or Michael Eric Dyson?
Speaking for myself out here in the peanut gallery, I don't even recognize the last two names, but I'm somewhat familiar with the first two.

Maybe that has something to do with it. If folks don't know about someone, they aren't likely to quote them or bring them up as examples.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Speaking for myself out here in the peanut gallery, I don't even recognize the last two names, but I'm somewhat familiar with the first two.

Maybe that has something to do with it. If folks don't know about someone, they aren't likely to quote them or bring them up as examples.
I brought up the last two to make a point. In my opinion a lot of people in this country are somewhat self centered. Whereas a guy like me can tell you craploads of facts about out of the mainstream people like Ron Paul, Patrick Buchanan and the like, most people's approach to all things black american is Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

I ask you, why is that? Why is it that a guy like me is expected to know everything about white society in order to survive in it but for a lot of "mainstream" society i.e. white people, black culture barely registers an afterthought? That's all I'm saying, I guess.

Oh yeah, Michael Eric Dyson is most notable for his dispute with Bill Cosby and for his role in the CNN series "Black in America". But I supposed most of the "mainstream" was more geared towards the Bill O'Reilly stuff I supposed.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

Michael Eric Dyson is a radio talk show host on The Michael Eric Dyson Show, which is on 97.5 FM in metro Atlanta.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Michael Eric Dyson is a radio talk show host on The Michael Eric Dyson Show, which is on 97.5 FM in metro Atlanta.
My car doesn't have a working radio.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:39 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I brought up the last two to make a point. In my opinion a lot of people in this country are somewhat self centered. Whereas a guy like me can tell you craploads of facts about out of the mainstream people like Ron Paul, Patrick Buchanan and the like, most people's approach to all things black american is Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

I ask you, why is that? Why is it that a guy like me is expected to know everything about white society in order to survive in it but for a lot of "mainstream" society i.e. white people, black culture barely registers an afterthought? That's all I'm saying, I guess.

Oh yeah, Michael Eric Dyson is most notable for his dispute with Bill Cosby and for his role in the CNN series "Black in America". But I supposed most of the "mainstream" was more geared towards the Bill O'Reilly stuff I supposed.
I'm not sure you are "expected" to know everything about any particular sector of society. Who would be expecting you to know something?

Media coverage dicates much of what mainstream America is familiar with. The most controversial personalities (i.e. Bill O'Reilly, Al Sharpton, etc.) are going to get more coverage and therefore be more well-known.

Derrick Boazman is local to Atlanta, but I've seen him on the news. I knew Michael Eric Dyson's name from "Black in America", but I couldn't tell you what he looks like. To be honest, if a public figure is more geared toward a particular minority group, then mainstream society and mainstream media will be less likely to have him/her on their radar. I'm not saying it's wrong of anyone to do this, but it may be a bit much to expect most Americans to watch "Black in America" when most Americans aren't black...

I'm not sure if what I've said comes across the way I mean for it to come across. My main point is that fame is a product of media coverage, and media coverage is a product of public interest. A more obscure personality is going to take some kind of special interest or more in-depth research for people to know about that person.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not sure you are "expected" to know everything about any particular sector of society. Who would be expecting you to know something?
When I say "expected" I just mean that in the sense that in order for a guy like me to survive in this country given the general hostility that 40 to 45% of certain population have towards people like me(assuming the latest Presidential election numbers are a refelection of that) then it's best that I know who my foes are and how they think. Call that negative thinking if you want but I AWLAYS err on the side of caution given this country's history.

Quote:
Media coverage dicates much of what mainstream America is familiar with. The most controversial personalities (i.e. Bill O'Reilly, Al Sharpton, etc.) are going to get more coverage and therefore be more well-known.
Understood.

Quote:
Derrick Boazman is local to Atlanta, but I've seen him on the news. I knew Michael Eric Dyson's name from "Black in America", but I couldn't tell you what he looks like. To be honest, if a public figure is more geared toward a particular minority group, then mainstream society and mainstream media will be less likely to have him/her on their radar. I'm not saying it's wrong of anyone to do this, but it may be a bit much to expect most Americans to watch "Black in America" when most Americans aren't black....
That's the problem. Far too many people purposely self-segregate themselves and then the moment they do come in contact with someone who is different from themselves they show a special ignorance or insensitivity on how they should conduct themselves with people from other backgrounds and a misunderstanding is created. In this situation, either two things can happen:

A) The person showing ignorance will make a further attempt to understand the other party or
B) That person will retreat back into comfortable surroundings clothe in his/her own self-righteouness that their ignorance is the other person's fault and will make no attempt to learn from the misunderstanding and evolve as a result.

For some reason, I keep seeing people chose answer B) over and over again. I still have 16,17,18, and 19 year old kids from a certain race coming up to me showing an ignorance/insensitivity of some sort and its 2009! When is it gonna end, I ask you?

Its understandable that most people may not have the time to get to know other people and that for many unfortunately, their only contact with another race, ethnicity, or culture is thru the boob tube. I would think though, that folks who want to evolve and put the whole notion of "race" behind them would AT least take an hour out of their schedule to watch something on how other people in the world are living.

After all, I am forced to watch hours upon hours of assorted shows, movies, and news programs on people who are different from me. But it seems that what you are saying is that there are a lot of people in this country who won't even do THAT much. I am scared for the future of this country if that is the case.

Quote:
I'm not sure if what I've said comes across the way I mean for it to come across. My main point is that fame is a product of media coverage, and media coverage is a product of public interest. A more obscure personality is going to take some kind of special interest or more in-depth research for people to know about that person.
I get your point. My point is that with the 24 hour news network and the internet to include youtube, facebook and all of these other nice little social networks, there is no excuse now in my opinion to not be able to look up something on people from other cultures. What it comes down to is whether or not people give a rat's patootie about trying to learn about someone who is different from themselves, if they even wanted do so at all. That's my point, I guess...

Old 10-15-2009, 03:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
I agree with much of what you're saying...I watched some of "Black in America" and I'm not black, but I thought it was interesting. I don't really care if what I'm watching has people who look like me - I'm more likely to watch something that is interesting to me. I don't really consider us all that different from each other anyway. We're all Americans, and while our skin may look different we have more in common than most people realize.

I never feel forced to watch anything. I am just as likely to watch an old rerun of A Different World as I am to watch one of Seinfeld. I'm not saying most people are like me...a lot are, a lot aren't. I would probably be more inclined to watch "Black in America" than I would "White in America". I know what it's like to be white in America, but I know I could learn something from "Black in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta