Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,327 times

Advertisements

...then which cities here are considered suburbs (not exurbs), and also safe with good schools? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Buford and Dacula are no longer "exurbs." They are bona-fide suburbs now (since the late 1990's).

Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,244,327 times
Oh ok, thanks

Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,315,359 times
I would say Buford and Dacula are far out suburbs of the city of Atlanta. They are both over 35 miles from city center. On the Buford/Dacula side of Atlanta metro -- Lawerenceville, Duluth, Alpharetta, Marietta, Snellville are closer suburbs. However Buford and Dacula are probably self sufficient areas.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
...then which cities here are considered suburbs (not exurbs), and also safe with good schools? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Buford and Dacula are no longer "exurbs." They are bona-fide suburbs now (since the late 1990's).
Yes, but on another thread the OP, who's in the area on a look-see visit from out-of-state, I believe, was expressing surprise that Buford and Dacula seemed a bit rural for their expectations. In the context of the other thread, OP is most likely needing directions to some closer-in type suburbs.

AJ - Asking about "cities" may not get you quite the answer you're looking for, in the metro Atlanta area. Substantial portions of our closer-in suburbs are unincorporated. This doesn't mean they're less desirable or less well serviced. They simply get all the usual city type services from the county. I'm thinking particularly of the East Cobb (eastern Cobb county) area where I live, and which is widely considered a very desirable suburb. East Cobb mailing addresses variously have Marietta, Roswell or Kennesaw as the "city" name, but the addresses are outside those incorporated cities.

If you're looking for northside suburbs a little closer-in and more urbanized than Dacula and Buford, I'd add Roswell, East Cobb, John's Creek and (further in) Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Smyrna and Vinings to the list provided by a previous poster.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:38 PM

144 posts, read 330,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Chamblee is a suburb. Dacula is an exurb.

Holy cow, do you believe what you wrote? Seriously?

Atlanta is way too %#$% $%@ big.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,788 times
Based on what has been said so far I guess you'd have to define exburb. It seems to some to mean more rural then suburbs and to others to mean further out (ie 35 miles from town). I've always thought it to mean far out, distance from town.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
Chamblee is a suburb. Dacula is an exurb.

Holy cow, do you believe what you wrote? Seriously?

Atlanta is way too %#$% $%@ big.

Your statement is correct (see highlighted above)...if it's 1995.

Dacula is now a suburb...people (and you) may not like it and it may not be a good thing, but it is. Atlanta expanded out there...especially in the late 1990's/early-mid 2000's.

(And Chamblee is an inner suburb.)

Old 12-10-2009, 03:00 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Some other Atlanta suburbs: Alpharetta, Marietta, Smyrna, Douglasville, Conyers, Stone Mountain, Riverdale, Stockbridge, McDonough, Peachtree City, Fairburn, Fayetteville, Mableton, Dunwoody, Kennesaw, Canton.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Based on what has been said so far I guess you'd have to define exburb. It seems to some to mean more rural then suburbs and to others to mean further out (ie 35 miles from town). I've always thought it to mean far out, distance from town.

In this day and age, we're all really talking about two sides of the same coin. An "exurb" is often just defined as an outer suburb. Other definitions mention the outer band where people live that commute to the inner/quasi-inner metro core. And still other definitions say that there must be an expanse or band of rural countryside between the suburbs and exurbs.

I personally think that exurbs are really just outer suburbs. Here's an idea--maybe, as an official thing for us Metro Atlantans , we can call the truly rural-like areas of the outer Metro Atlanta counties exurbs(where the closer-in parts of these counties/adjacent counties are definitely suburban). Thinking along the lines of North Cherokee, North+Central Bartow, West Paulding, Carroll County, South Coweta, Meriwether County, Spalding County, Butts County, Jasper County, East Newton, Central+East Walton, Barrow County, Jackson County, Central+North Hall, North Forsyth, Dawson County.

Commuter town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Blurb about exurb)

Commuter town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by aries4118; 12-10-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta