Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 PM

117 posts, read 254,213 times

Advertisements

I said this time and time again the reason this city is so behind is because of its leaders. They are the reason Atlanta can't compete with the other major cities across the U.S.

Like I said before Atlanta has come along way but still is so far behind!

How do you pass on a bullet train??????

High Speed Rail Finally Coming to the US: A Look at the Plans (Video) : TreeHugger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:58 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Damn. Even Tampa hopped on the light rail... And we're behind EVERY major city.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
I said this time and time again the reason this city is so behind is because of its leaders. They are the reason Atlanta can't compete with the other major cities across the U.S.

Like I said before Atlanta has come along way but still is so far behind!

How do you pass on a bullet train??????

High Speed Rail Finally Coming to the US: A Look at the Plans (Video) : TreeHugger

Seems like Atlanta and the Heart of the Southeast missed this boat...I mean, train.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Damn. Even Tampa hopped on the light rail... And we're behind EVERY major city.

Well, this thread/article is talking about high-speed rail.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
For the record, it was the STATE leaders who dropped the ball and who were asked to submit various things in order to secure funding. They got $85-million dollars years ago from the Feds for a commuter rail line between Atlanta and Macon and never did a thing with a penny of it. The Feds look at that. If you're not going to use the money, they give it to those who will. I'm not saying that Atlanta has exactly had shinging examples of leadership in the last few years either - I'm just saying this latest thing where Georgia lost out on millions of dollars was a result of things being ignored on the State level.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
ok guys.. so say you have a rail other than amtrak. what are you going to do with it? how are you going to get to the terminal, and then from the destination one. take a cab for 100$ one way?

this whole rail madness is nothing more than a bandwagon. you are going to link what with what? hey, its called amtrak and it already does the same thing. but how many of you have ever used it?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
Amtrak is slow, and they have to give way to freight rail.

High speed rail is quite a bit better than that...and only brings us up to par with the Europeans. Its no MAGLEV.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Bullet train will be just another alternative to long distance travel. Atlanta imo competes very well with cities in its tier at this time. However, this decision of the great state of georgia may hurt its future.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Waaaa....no "high speed rail" and my life changes how? I will still get on a plane to go anywhere beyond 200 miles, and Atlanta has one of the best airports in the world with the largest airline in the world headquartered here.

So other than as a way to take political shots at politicians, why should I care that more borrowed money won't be spent on a pet project with little ROI?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Its not little High Speed Trains at least what American has will get are At asain Standards more leg room , trains every 30-60mins , no matter what the weather. It will benefit the region, one day the Northeast corridor with extend down to Atlanta via Charlotte with 220mph Trains. High Speed Rail projects are a 24/7 project and usually employee 40,000 ppl at the peak of construction. Construction takes 2-5 years for a regular line. By 2025 i'm sure you guys will be linked with the NEC and NE. Atlanta will once again become a major trading point, you have to give it some time. You also have to get companies to invest in the line, i think thats why the Govt made it only 8 billion , although the Rail budget for US is 80 billion. Atlanta needs more Light Rail and Regional Rail , which can hold you guys intill a High Speed Line is built. Airliners are okay , but the Air is so congested , espically in Atlanta which is over capacity , so Rail & High Speed Rail will help that, i suggest that all of you visit the NE , but instead of renting a Car , take our Trains.

~Corey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta