Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,856,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaichick View Post
Al, great point. I am personally referring to Atlanta as a whole... The majority of Atlanta has changed so much, due to the transplants that have come in since the Olympics... It still has it's southern stuff but my "Georgian friends" still agree that Atlanta is now just different from the rest of the state... To me, the pig ears equate to many of the factors that make Atlanta a "cosmopolitan city WITH the southern charm"
i agree. it just doesn't get much better than the south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 03:32 PM

16,717 posts, read 29,571,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaichick View Post
William and Neil truly hit the spot so you guys both get reputation points from me. Atlanta in 1985, 1990, 1995, and 2000 are four different creatures of it's own and yet somehow managed to keep some of it's "southern charm" in very subtle ways that many people can't seem to notice or appreciate. I was there for all of that so I guess I feel like I have credibility in saying so

I always tell people if they drive about 30-45 minutes outside of the Atlanta city center, then you will begin to find Georgia... and back in the 80s, it sure wasn't like that, tho' many Georgian's might also disagree with that and then there are various parts of Georgia, as I have discovered with the numerous friends who are "actually from Georgia" but moved up to Atlanta during their adulthood, etc.... When we travel, they still make fun of me for stating that I am from Atlanta, not Georgia... but after living in Atlanta themselves, they begin to understand why many Atlantans like to say they are from Atlanta... just like folks from Chicago don't say they are from Illinois, etc.

It still amazes me how I have conversations with so many folks all over the U.S. who think Atlanta and Georgia are two of the same things... they are surprised and sometimes in disbelief until they hear other native Atlantans, long time Atlantans, Georgians, and true southerners all supporting these statements... and that's where I say, "Atlanta is a cosmopolitan city that still has her southern charm. "

I think you are saying it best (better than the other posters)..."Atlanta is a cosmopolitan city that still has her southern charm."

To me, Atlanta is definitely Southern...it's just the urban manifestation of "Southerness."

Old 02-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well i kind of have to disagree with the notion that atlanta isn't really georgia. because there are plenty of areas in that city where it is very easy to remember what state youre in. like it was said in another thread, if you take a trip down to one of those lower or middle income areas on the west or south sides, where you can get a barbecue pig ear sandwich made by a man with five gold teeth...you definitely know youre in gawgia

oh, and lets not forget general larry platt lol

What you are saying is spot on as well...

Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,328,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You'll be just fine, and your husband needs to broaden his horizons!

This isn't the Dukes of Hazzard.
You have to go to the most southern end of that southern state to come in contact with those types. LOL.

At least he didn't reference the movie "Deliverance."

Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
At least he didn't reference the movie "Deliverance."

Well if that was the case, that would mean going to the most northern end of that southern state...

Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 PM

225 posts, read 586,673 times
You guys are too funny.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM

719 posts, read 1,698,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well i kind of have to disagree with the notion that atlanta isn't really georgia. because there are plenty of areas in that city where it is very easy to remember what state youre in. like it was said in another thread, if you take a trip down to one of those lower or middle income areas on the west or south sides, where you can get a barbecue pig ear sandwich made by a man with five gold teeth...you definitely know youre in gawgia

oh, and lets not forget general larry platt lol
But notice what you said, "if you take a trip down to one of those .... it's easy to remember". The point is, unlike other places in the south here you have to be reminded that you're in the deep south. The reason being that everything else about the place represents something else, something different than what you get in a place like Charleston or Columbia, SC or Mobile.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 AM

719 posts, read 1,698,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think you are saying it best (better than the other posters)..."Atlanta is a cosmopolitan city that still has her southern charm."

To me, Atlanta is definitely Southern...it's just the urban manifestation of "Southerness."
In many ways perhaps, it's true. With all the paradoxes and tortured ambivalence that go with it.

After all, Atlanta is the place that's also been aptly described as "what a half million Confederate soldiers died to prevent".

Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
In many ways perhaps, it's true. With all the paradoxes and tortured ambivalence that go with it.

After all, Atlanta is the place that's also been aptly described as "what a half million Confederate soldiers died to prevent".

"Paradox," "Dichotomy," etc...I think words like this accurately describe much of the uniqueness and beauty of Atlanta and the American South.

Last edited by aries4118; 02-10-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 AM

11 posts, read 18,000 times
Atlanta has always had a diverse community setting. I lived in many places around Jersey for a lot of the 90s and I understand your fears.

Atlanta's population is made up of a LOT of people from the NorthEast. You'll find the accent is surprisingly not-that-southern, also. You'll be right at home here, whatever your religion.

The REALLY good news is that your money goes further here. A typical 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath home here with a double garage averages around $230,000. Compared to your home in New Jersey, you'll likely pocket money back and have a great life in Atlanta.

Let me know how your visits go. I'd be happy to show you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta